Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Put a like new 6" barreled Model 586 on layaway today. Hopefully, I'll be able to pick it up in the next few weeks if things pan out. No blueing wear and locks up nicely. A worthy addition to the stable.
Heck, if I can't have a 6" Colt Python I guess this will have to do...

Will send pics when I take possession of it.
Don't know what made me do it...after all it is in .357 Magnum which we ALL know is a minor caliber... ;)

Wes

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Wes,

Well maybe it was caused by common sense I reckon. I proudly owned a 6" 686 once, when I thought I might be able to take some time off as a local and shoot competitively. I discussed my intentions with another officer, who hit the Chief first with his request, so I never got started.

But I have always felt that platform was a great addition to the Smith lineup of revolvers. I fired mine a lot while thinking I was going to start shooting competitively, and worked a little magic on the action which felt incredible. Mine was very accurate with anything I fed it too.

So enjoy her sir and keep us posted when you are able to dance with her.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
One thing, Wes: some of the early 586 series had some heat treatment issues that made them potentially dangerous. Smith & Wesson addressed the problem, and it's likely that your gun isn't one of those few, but just to be on the safe side you can check the S&W forum to find the serial number range of the affected revolvers, or just give S&W a call. Better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I have a 586 with a 6" barrel in .38 Special. They made them for Brazil and sold a few of the overruns here.

Its real accurate, and I don't mind shooting hot loads in it that I don't want to subject the K38 to.

I wouldn't pass on a good deal on one if it presented itself.

Regards,

Pat

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gents,

Thanks for the input. I had a 4" 586 years ago and like it, but sold it. The chance to by a pristine 6" was to good to pass up.
lelandray, I'll get the serial number next time I'm in the shop and check the heat treatment issue. Thanks for the heads up on that...

Wes

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Wes,

When I was much younger, I bought a 586 that was the 2nd revolver and 3rd handgun I'd ever owned. I would take it to the Tar River Gun Club in Rocky Mount, NC for "weekly" range sessions on their outdoor pistol range. It was smooth and very accurate. It was the 6" version.

At my club, I once demonstrated to my young wife how "inaccurate" point shooting from the hip was and drew and placed 6 shots rapid fire into a 4" circle at 15 yards with the S&W 586 much to my suprise. The 586 with the 6" tube was well balanced and extremely accurate.

Wes, you've got a keeper and a classic.

Congradulations and best,

Chris

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lelandray,

Have been to the S & W Forum and looked for any issues pertaining to the 586. Found nothing. Is there a particular area I should be looking? Ran a search with zero results.
The serial number in question is: AJY9347

Thanks,

Wes

·
Registered
154 Posts
I believe that the revolvers in question were all "no-dash" 586's; i.e., they have no marks after 586, such as 586-1. Revolvers which were returned and modified have an "m" added, if I recall correctly.
I also once had an early 586 6-inch, and it was a beautiful and accurate gun. I never lusted after a Python again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts