Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm planning to buy a .44 Magnum from S&W for sports shooting, it'll be my first revolver (presently I only have semi-autos), and I'd like a classic model 29 (yes, that's because of Dirty Harry, always wanted one). I checked and there's also a 629 model, very similar but with rubber grips I believe, and cheaper. Is there any other difference? Any suggestion?

Sorry if it's a silly question, but I'm new to revolvers. Regards,
Rodrigo

G

·
check S&W's websight. I seriously doubt there are any differences you'll notice shooting it, I imagine most differences are in fit and finish.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Rodrigo,

I do think the blue on a Smith revolver makes for a very attractive appearance. But the 629 is basically the same gun in stainless steel. Given the climate of your country sir (I have spent a little time in years past working there) I personally if given the chance, would opt for the 629 for a more rust resistant finish.

Since it is cheaper than the model 29, you could use that money for more ammo and/or a holster too.

Just my opinion for what it is worth. If you do end up buying a .44 mag, please share your thoughts with us when you do. You may also find the recoil of full power loads to be different from what you are used to since all of your handguns are pistols. Some folks enjoy recoil and some do not. You will have to figure out when group you fit into.

Barrel length will also contribute to more or less felt recoil too, up to a point. If between the 29 and 629, they are essentially the same barrel lenghts, then it is primarily an issue of finish. If you think you may be recoil sensitive, and the two revolvers have different length barrels then that may also be something to consider in making your choice too.

You can also shoot .44 special loads in your Smith, which will be much milder, and you can reload the .44 mag brass down to a milder load as well. I do not know if you reload or have friends that do. I would suggest you give it serious thought, especially since I seem to recall in a different post you indicated ammo was a bit hard to find and expensive for you in Peru. Just another suggetion to think about.

Please do not worry about asking any question you have here sir. All of our members were new to certain weapons when they got started in shooting. So we have all had many of those same questions. In my opinion, the only "dumb" question if the one that is not asked. If you have others please feel free to ask them here.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing sir.

twoguns

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you guys, specially twoguns. You're right, I'm also planning in getting started in reloading, since .44 Mag will be imposible to buy here in any store. It'll help with my .45 ACP, 38 Super and 30-06, 9mm is not hard to find, but if I can save some pennies, will do it too.
I imagine the recoil on the .44 will be a mule's kick, I'll tell you later. It'll take a few months to go through all the paper work, but it'll be worth it.
Regards,
Rodrigo

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Rodrigo,

Up until several months ago, I owned a 6" 629 .44 Magnum Stainless Steel Revolver that was manufactured in 1986. It was a nice hunk of steel that was heavy enough in it 6" barrel configuration to dampen the recoil of all of but the heaviest loads quite nicely.

The M629 is a well built revolver. I've also owned one with the 4" barrel and used it to shoot in Bowling Pin Matches.

If you are an experienced handgunner, than you might be suprised in a nice sort of way that the recoil is heavy, but very controllable with the proper grip. These big revolvers are very accurate and nice for long distance shooting and banging steel plates.

If you decide to reload, you will have the option of increasing/decreasing your loads depending on the purpose of your shooting.

I wish you well in your endeavor sir.

Chris

·
Registered
354 Posts
Some thoughts on mod. 29/629: I hunt with a 629-6 (relatively new gun) with 4" barrel. With full house loads (265 gr. HC lead @ 1250 fps-call me a wimp) this revolver was abusive with the factory stocks. I replaced them with Herrett "Troopers". I do not care for rubber/plastic grips. I installed a fiber optic front sight. Most of my hunting is at dawn/dusk or in low light/timber. The 629 is great in the role of hunting revolver-stainless finish is easy to care for. That said, some of my favorite revolvers are 29's (pre 29, 29-2's). In my estimation, there are few things as classy as an old blue steel/wood grips S&W revolver. Best of luck.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Rodrigo,

You choice is excellent. Given the climate a model 629 makes sense. I am, however, a sucker for high luster blue on the old N-frame 'Smiths. Also, if you could get a good deal on one I wouldn't pass up a M-57 in .41 magnum (my favorite) or a M-25 in .45 Colt.
Here's one of my babies... :)

Good luck in your quest.

Wes

·
Registered
361 Posts

I purchased this Model 29-2 new in 1980 and used it for several years in the hunter pistol silhouette game. The revolver handled extensive use with heavy loads with nary a complaint. The long barrel served to dampen recoil and provide good performance with handloads using H110. It's taken a couple of deer and works well for that purpose. These days it mostly sees use with a 245 grain lead SWC and a mild charge of Unique.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Here is the new Dirty Harry with show stocks on it. I have the DH stocks also. It's a 2007 S&W model 29-10/ 6 1/2" barrel .44mag. I am going to use it on a hog hunt this fall.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts