Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Readers,

A few days ago I saw a used S&W 3913 TSW in a display case. I went home and did the google thing on it. I discovered that it was a spiffed up version of another pistol called the 908. Today I was at a gun store and had an opportunity to hold a new 908S. It seems like a very nice pistol. I really like the dimensions, etc.

There was also a CS9 at the store today so I could hold them both at the same time and compare. The 908 has a thinner grip and seemed as though it would be easier to conceal.

Do any of you readers have any first-hand experience with either the 908 or 3913?

Thanks,

Bruce

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Bruce,

Yes sir, I purchased a 3913 for my now ex-no. 2, to use as her CCW pistol when we moved to south FL. It was a single row mag version of the 6906. She shot the 3913 well and liked it.

I also shot it well and thought it was a good compromise in a 9mm concealed carry pistol. I am not familiar with either of the other two models you listed, so I can not really help you there.

But if the 3913 feels good in your hand, then I think it would be a good choice.

Let us know what you decide to do, and share a range report with us when you purchase one of these, or something else.

twoguns

·
Registered
110 Posts
You can't go wrong with any of the guns you mentioned. The 3913TSW is what i would pick from the 3 you mentioned if available for a good price.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I agree with Mr.Smith10 as anyone if priced right would be a good pistol. I almost got the 908s here awhile back but I felt he asking just a little to much for a used one. Good luck.

Best, Baldy.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Hello Bruce,

I'm about to buy a S&W 469, which is the 2nd generation hi-cap equivalent of the 39xx compact serie. And I collected a lot of infos about these compacts, notably on the S&W Forum.

The 39xx (3913 = compact inox, 3914 = compact carbon steel, 3953/54 DAO inox/carbon) came as 3rd generation SW autos at the end of the 80s. Inspired by the 469/669 line (12 rounds compacts), they were acclaimed for their slim lines and single row magazine that were in line with new CCW and mag limit laws. In the beginning of the 90s, SW came with a first "TSW" version, with a reduced grip (capacity = 7 rounds). The TSW evolved to normal grip and accessory rail. Ladysmith and "NL" versions came later with modified frames (slanted dustcover). The 908 came just before the millenium as a value line pistol with some plastic parts, dull finish and blockier slide. Production of the 39xx (except "TSW" and 908) has been resumed last year.

The 469 I tested has a double row mag (12 rounds). The gun is still compact and the grip reasonnably thin. It handles very well, accuracy is more than adequate at 10 m. in DA/SA drills (all bullets ending in a tight cluster at the center of the target). Only reserves: the ramp front sight is on the small side, the right safety lever is out of place on a compact and the square trigger guard is ugly and out. Notwithstanding, I had my dealer put my name on it and it will be mine when I'll get the cash.

L.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The reason I now want to own a DA/Semiauto is because of the 3913. I shot one and all of the holes were in a little tight cluster with each mag. I pratice at 25 feet for defensive shooting and I shoot fast. The XD handled the smae with me but the S7W 3913 was smaller and easier to conceal to me. I want to give the HP/DA, AR24 and the Kahr45 and chance before I decide. There may be others as well. The hunt continues and I'll keep you guys informed.

·
Registered
800 Posts
The reason I now want to own a DA/Semiauto is because of the 3913. I shot one and all of the holes were in a little tight cluster with each mag. I pratice at 25 feet for defensive shooting and I shoot fast. The XD handled the smae with me but the S7W 3913 was smaller and easier to conceal to me. I want to give the HP/DA, AR24 and the Kahr45 and chance before I decide. There may be others as well. The hunt continues and I'll keep you guys informed.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I liked the idea of the 3913 from the start. I got one of the first I saw and it was my carry gun for a while. Actually, I've had two of them, but at different times.
I went through a spell of Glock-itis later, and traded my first one off.
I couldn't stand being without one, so got another.
That one only left after I got an HK P7 and found it did the same job but with a similar trigger to the SA autos I usually carried. If I had never found a good deal on the P7, I'd surely still have that 3913.

I used my 3913 as my main carry gun for a while, but after going back to carrying full-size pistols, I moved it to "special occasion use" where a larger gun was too hard to conceal and didn't want to settle for a J-frame- Sort of my in-between gun.
I've tried the 3913, Sig P225 and 239, and HK P7 for that use, and any will do fine- it just depends on what one prefers.

I don't recall ever having a malfunction of any kind with mine.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
While I am not a fan of DA/SA automatics, the S&W 3rd gen guns are as well made as any and will be a most satisfactory sidearm. I know that I like the S&Ws better than the Berettas or SIGs (not the DAK, tho).

·
Registered
19 Posts
In all of the S&W autos I've owned over the past 25+ years, I have NEVER had one 'fail' that WASN'T directly related to dubious ammo....and that's coming from a HUGE 1911 fan. I went through the LEO academy with an S&W M3904. Again....ZERO problems that WEREN'T directly traced to 'dud' rounds inserted in the mags by the instructors in teaching us the 'Tap, Rack, Bang' drill.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts