Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. A few weeks back, I purchased a new 3 1/16" barrel SP101 revolver in its most common chambering, .357 Magnum. There is a write-up on it in "Other Handguns" at www.hipowersandhandguns.com for anyone interested.

Since that time, I've tried Federal and Remington 125-gr. JHP's, Federal 158-gr. HydraShoks, handloads, and other magnum and .38 Special chamberings in this revolver.

It has not missed a lick.

The trigger, while a bit heavier than my S&W's, has smoothed itself out to where it is imminently useable in double or single-action and the gun still locks up very very well. My revolver is stock as it came from the box with no plans on changing anything.

At the moment, it is loaded with Remington 125-gr. Golden Sabers, a mid-power .357 load. They hit but 1/2" low at 15 yards compared to the Winchester 145-gr. STHP's that are dead on. The former are the most I can shoot accurately at speed w/o noticing any slowing down between shots.

Should anyone be considering a fairly compact stainless steel .357 revolver for knocking around in the boonies or for personal protection, I strongly suggest giving this one a look. The gun "fits" me better than expected and it has become a most favored revolver.

I believe that this revolver can be both carried and shot lots with magnum ammunition w/o the concern for the gun's longevity that can exist in other smaller frame .357 revolvers and suggest giving them a hard look if you're in the market for such a revolver.

Best.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Stephen,

I owned a SP-101 many years ago and carried it as a hunting side arm.

Your observations are right on the money. For their size, they are a proven package in handling and reliability.

My only negative comment about them relates to a story where many years ago I took the trigger assembly out of mine for cleaning and accidently "pulled" the trigger. I wound up searching for levers and springs for about an hour in the shag carpeting of my house. Apparently the frame holds the assembly together. I had it back together after some panicy moments.

When I called Ruger customer service to inquire about ordering some other parts, I relayed the story to the Ruger customer service rep about the SP 101. She laughed and told me that anyone with three hands needs to come work for them!

Thank you for the update. It is indeed a fine revolver!

Chris

G

·
I agree. a 2.5 incher is on my list.

Was told the other day that I can get one around Tax Time
for my Birthday:)

The older I get, the more I appreciate smaller guns.
Even those Frenchy SP-101s look good:)

·
Registered
283 Posts
the first time taking the trigger apart can be a little fun. if the double action pull doesnt meet your satisfaction, the tunnel the trigger spring rides in is very rough on these guns and needs to be cleaned up. good little pistol other than slightly rough trigger.

G

·
Pachmayr makes a really nice version of the Compac for the SP-101. For some reason, unlike the other grips in their Compac line, the one for the SP-101 is pebbled rather than checkered. It's one of the best grips I've ever owned. I wish they'd make it for other guns.

G

·
Some of the wooden grips I've seen for the SP101 are very handsome and find them quite tempting, aesthetically. On the other hand (no pun), I really like the feel of the stock rubber grip so much that I simply ordered/installed a set of replacement silver/black grip panels from Lett grips. They suite me just fine because they offer a satisfactory compromise.

G

·
I have the 2-1/4" DOA SP-101. It is a tank of a little gun. Some find it too heavy for pocket carry but I never had a problem with it. I've shot it several times in IDPA back-up gun matches loaded with magnum ammo. The fireball draws lots of attention. I would never consider another small frame magnum revolver.

G

·
Any of you guys playing with the SPEER SB loads?

I would like to know if in the case with SAC's SP
that the 145 gr. Silvertip loads shoots dead on.

Would the Speer loads do the same? Is there
much difference between 135 and 145 gr?

The mid-range loads appeal to me.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello. I have not tried that .357 load.........yet. I suspect (and hope) that the points of impact are close. I think that they very well may as the mid-range 125-gr. Golden Sabers are very close to the full-power 145-gr. Silvertips. I am also anxious to see what Corbon's promised .357 DPX load might do.

Best.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I have the same gun as Mr. Camp. I'd like to start shooting hotter loads at the range, but I want to stay cheep if possible. Does anyone make bulk .357, or bulk hot .38's ?

G

·
This thread brings back memories. I used to have a SP101 with a 3 1/16" barrel. It had a neat trijicon night front sight but was double action only. The trigger was a little gritty and could have benefitted from a little work, I seem to recall. I traded it off but wish now I had kept it and smoothed it up a little. It was a neat gun.

G

·
I still have to take the new 38 +P out shooting. Heard from Double Tap about .38 special loads today. Mike says that they are in the works!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts