Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:'(I went to a mans house last night to look at a M-15 S&W. He sold it before I got there. I live about four blocks from this guy and we went to his house as soon as I got off the phone with him.
Well he came out with a couple of Ruger Security-Sixs. One was a big heavy framed model and the other one looked like the one I remembered best. The one that most police officers had in my home town. It locks up tight but it has suffered years of neglect. Pitting and someone tried to sand off some of the pits. ::)The wife just shook her head. Another $200 out the door.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Hi Baldy-
For two hundred dollars just keep it clean and shoot it. :)
Those Rugers are straight shooters.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You got me laughing on that one Papabear. I think I'll just keep her. These old revolvers are a passion of mine. I can't drive anymore and it's hard for me to run any down. When one comes my way I count it as a blessing and keep it. Thanks for looking everybody.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there baldy,

That is a really nice find and at the price you paid I would be very happy!

Please share with us how it shoots when you have a chance. I've only ever owned one short barreled Security Six and it was a nice revolver.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Baldy,

I agree, it does sound like you made a great deal. I carried the 2.75" stainless steel, SR737, in .357 mag as an issued weapon once. To be honest I would have rather had a 2.5" model 66, but I have to give the revolver credit too. It shot well, and went bang each time I pulled the trigger. The bottom line for me is that is what really counts.

I agree, when you have the chance to take it out shooting, we would love to hear your thoughts.

Enjoy it sir, it will be around a long time. They are certainly dependable.

twoguns

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much gentleman. I will let you know my thoughts on it after a trip to the range.

Best ..Baldy..

·
Registered
321 Posts
Baldy,

I too think you have to jump on them when you get the chance. If the scratches bother you, have it refinished/re-blued for $100 or so and you will still be out ahead. As I tell my wife, "they ain't makin' em any more!" You done good.

PGM

·
Registered
932 Posts
If it goes bang, hits near where you aim it, with prices of firearms these days you'd be well off buying a dozen at the price you paid! No way you can't turn a profit on it when and if you ever sell. A good example is Ruger's GP-100's, these are $400 dealer price before shipping. Check CDNN Investments, they have several rubber and wood grips for your revolver, some as cheap as five bucks.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
??? I got something going on with this old gun that I hope someone can help me with. I have three different gentleman tell me that this is a Service-Six and not a Security-Six. It's stamped on the side plate Security-Six. I hope you can see from this sorry photo.
. The manual I down loaded off the Ruger site says Security-Six. All I can say is the two models must have been very close in looks. Any help will be welcomed. Thank you.

Baldy

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
Hi Baldy-
I found this on another site dated back in 2005:
"Security Six has adjustable rear sight, Police Service Six has fixed. All else is the same."
Hope this helps- Gib
(I did a Google search)

·
Registered
932 Posts
There were some Security Six's with fixed sights made. Yours is one of them, while not common, they are not too rare. Prices run about the same as other Sec.s I've found that the most desirable Rugers D/A's are Speed Sixes, especially those in 9mm. I've seen like new examples in 9mm sell for $500. The next highest would be Speed Six's with three and four inch barrels, finally the 2-3/4" .357 models, these last average $350 in exc. condition.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks to all who have answered. I found my answer from the Ruger Collectors. A real good bunch. The gun was made from 1972 thur 1988. The first three years of production was roll marked with the Security-Six and had a Serial #150- for the prefix and a square butt frame. That's my gun. When they put the adjustable sights on they renamed the ones like mine the Speed -Six(.357) and Police Service-Six and they rounded the butt on the frame a little. From my Serial #150-775xx it was one of the last ones roll marked Security-Six without adjustable sights. I been chasing this info all day and I have learned a lot. Thanks everybody for helping me out.

Best Baldy..

·
Registered
645 Posts
baldy,

Thanks for the info, I finally found that info too about the 150 series. My offer still stands...............

Papabear

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks for the offer Papabear but I just got back from the range about 30 mintues ago and I got a great little shooter. Swallows .38s like gum drops and can't get enough .357s to make it unhappy. It sure surprised me it is so accurate for a fix sight gun. I may spring for a bluing job and some custom stocks for this one I like her so well. Had to move my Colts over a little to make room for her but she has found a good home.

Best Baldy..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts