Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If it's an exact copy of the P3AT plus a few minor changes, then it's no better. All 4 P3AT's I had were trouble, assembly pin coming loose and ruining the frame, trigger pin coming loose and stops firing, 1G extractor loose and FTE's, 2g extractor screw coming loose and FTE's, plastic housing warping and beginning to crack, FTF's after it gets sooty, long trigger pull puts a hurt on trigger finger during recoil, and the 'Smiley' problem mainly due to a crappy MecGar magazine. Some have had the recoil spring pop out the end of the slide. Maybe Ruger will fix all this, if not, I don't want one.
Extensive discussions at KTOG, thefiringline, and GlockTalk. Mostly speculation.
Have fun,
og

·
Registered
392 Posts
i took the leap and bought a 2nd gen k.t. 3at.

in the 300 rounds ive put through it so far not one failure of any kind...though i have doubts about its longevity....

if ruger learned anything from k.t. with this new gun, the bugs that plagued the k.t. should not rear thier ugly head in the ruger version, if so ruger would have done nothing but shame its name for not improoving on the design.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have had my Kel-Tec for about a year and I have had no problems with it. I have run about 150 rounds through it with no failures of any kind. I keep it loaded with Speer Gold Dot. It is designed as a backup gun and not for extended fireing. The owners manual says it is ok for limited +p fireing.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Re: differences between the Ruger and the Kel-Tec -- John Farnam handled one at the SHOT show and emailed us that in addition to the manual slide hold-open, the Ruger version also has a shallower trigger reset.

Once question I have -- are the magazines interchangeable between the LCP and the P3AT? We already have a P3AT in the family, and I've been tempted to get another one. The Ruger looks interesting, but would hate to have two nearly identical pistols that can't share magazines.

elb

·
Registered
11 Posts
My local gunshop has 3 Ruger LCP's ordered. They said when they arrive that we will see how many parts interchange with my P-3AT. They will not stock or order the P-3AT because they say it is unsafe because of the takedown pin. Someone they know had a 32 cal come apart.

·
Registered
525 Posts
dnatio00

Did your gunshop ever get the LCPs in, and check interchangeability? I am still curious about the magazines...

elb

·
Registered
43 Posts
I truly hope that the Ruger LCP turns out to be a reliable version. I have been looking for a small "Summer Carry", and it's a big problem finding both small, 380 cal, not thick like the Beretta tomcat, and of course reliable.

But if Ruger is making it, I'd have to believe they've worked out all the bugs, unlike say for example Microsoft Vista which has turned many into alcoholics.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have about 200 rounds thru my P3AT and so far so good. The only problem I've had so far was with certain brands of JHP that would not feed reliably. I now go with a JHP in the pipe and FMJ in the mag for better reliability. Unless my Keltec proves to be a lemon I think I'll stick with it. If it gives me problems I will look further, maybe at a LCP, but it will have to be a proven design first. At least the Keltec has a track record and I'm told excellent customer service.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
My wife just got a Ruger LCP. I was surprised it was made in Prescott, AZ instead of CT.

Neither of us had ever shot a pistol that small, including the various Kel-Tec options, so I cannot comment on direct comparisons. We took it to the range, and pretty much "out of the box" put fifty rounds of .380 (9x17mm Corto/Kurz/Short) ammo through it, about half ball and the rest jhp. Magazines are made in Italy. (Mec-gar, yes?)
The recoil was manageable, despite the two-finger grip, and the muzzle flip in full recoil. For me, the trigger took a bit of getting used to. I think it is about half an inch of travel, but I sort of kept waiting for it to fire. As folks already know, the sights are a small, rudimentary set: a milled notch in the rear and a tiny front post. Small guns are hard to shoot well, but some doubtless find a small semi-auto easier to get hits with than a snub-nose revolver.

I got some great groups with it at about 7 or 8 yards. On the brief range visit we used a Texas CHL target and put all the hits in the upper chest and "ocular window" of the human figure. Frankly, the .380 is not for me, but she really likes it, and intends to use it as an "always" carry and/or b.u.g. to a primary. As I guess you Kel-tec folks have long been aware, these little things could come out of anywhere: pocket, iwb, jacket, or any kind of "deep cover" carry rig.

--d.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello dave,

Thank you for the informative range report and kuko's on buying the first LCP I've heard of so far on the 'net'!

I have several friends that are waiting anxiously for them to come to our area of the country and would sincerely appreciate your continue experiences with the LCP!

Thank you sir,

Chris

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Howdy Chris,

Yeah, I've been looking in vain for many of the much ballyhooed *new* guns to make it down here where I'm at too. I was surprised to see this LCP turn up. I suspected that my "better half" would be interested, because she had been looking at slim concealable semi-autos for on-the-body-carry guns, and expressed interest in Kel-Tecs too. I put money down on it because I knew it would sell quick, and there are apparently many pre-ordered by distributors.

ELB: fwiw, the Ruger factory manual insists that no other magazine is compatible with the LCP, which I initially read and exclaimed, "well, duh!" and did not at first understand until I read your inquiry up post. Then I said, "Oh, perhaps this is meant to dissuade using Kel-Tec magazines...Or something." They are six shot steel mags, with a plastic follower and a polymer magazine floorplate, stamped with ".380" on one side and a Ruger phoenix on the other.

She handled it after hearing my reservations and whatnot about short barrels and .380 caliber's shortcomings and so forth, but decided to give it a try in spite of the drawbacks. Every firearm choice presents a series of trade-offs. Now that we've shot it, with both ball and jhp ammo from three different manufacturers, there is more confidence in it, if not the .380 round. On the one hand, Ruger marketing is accurate in more ways than one: "lightweight compact pistol" indeed. It is a glock-like polymer point-and-shoot bullet launcher that is conducive to point shooting because of the tiny sights. On the other hand, it is light, small, and compact so it can be carried unobtrusively just about anyplace, and kept well out of sight, but is available if needed. Judging from the exploded parts diagram, it would seem that the LCP is made up of only 35 parts. Other than that, I don't have much to add about it that hasn't been addressed elsewhere. I'll see how it performs later at more extended range sessions and post further results.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Took a brand new Ruger LCP to the range yesterday. It went through about 20 Win white box and 2 mags each of Hdy and Fed jhps without a bobble. This was straight from the box, no cleaning or oiling. Takes some concentration and practice for that 2 finger grip, but pistol is suprisingly accurate for the trigger pull.

Only concern is the firing pin is offset, very close to the edge of the primer. Pretty strong indent however, and no failures.

Was never comfortable buying a Keltec, with all the reported problems and need to polish em up to function properly?

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Howdy zeke,

now that you mention it, the primer strikes on lil' miss' "Lucie P" were deep, but not centered. They were on the upper part of the primer in my case too. So far no ftf or anything else. I'll have to plan a range session as extended as yours was.

·
Registered
146 Posts
You guys keep on reporting, please!!

I like the LCP for "deep" carry. I am fond of Rugers, as a Single Six was my first pistol at age 13 and I've got a bunch of them.
Unfortunately, I bought an SR9 and it's in the box waiting for the factory authorization to send it in .It's been recalled and I've never shot it.
I do appreciate them stepping up to the plate and acknowledging the problem, though.
But...I will wait a while on the LCP until its reliability is more established.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts