Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. A while back I took a hard look at the Ruger GP100 .357 Magnum revolver. At that time I was looking for a NIB or like new S&W
3" Model 13 or 65 but couldn't find one except either in poor shape or at way too high a price.

For those interested, the original article is here:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Range%20Evaluation%20-%20Ruger%20GP100.htm

A good friend mentioned a sale on 3" short shroud GP100's. He advised that he'd had good luck with them so I bought one.

Since writing the initial review, I have shot this gun on more than a few range trips with either handloaded or factory 357's, usually using bullets in the 145 to 158-gr. range.

The last time I shot the gun was a week or so back. Nothing was done on paper, just steel targets and plates. I fired just over 200 rnds of S&B 158-gr. JFP ammunition. As has been the case on every other outting with this gun, there were zero problems. I have not yet shot the S&B on paper so I don't know how well it does or doesn't group but at distances out to about 20 or 25 yards, it was no problem smacking the plates and such double-action.

I cannot speak to all Ruger revolvers as I own but two,the GP100 being discussed and a 3 1/16" SP101, but the trigger on the GP has smoothed up very nicely...VERY nicely. It was surprisingly good out of the box but it is slicker than a gut as this is written.

To me, this revolver doesn't have the classic "revolver look" that only an S&W has, but neither do I find it "ugly" as some have suggested. I definitely have found it reliable as homemade sin and am most happy with the smoothed trigger pull. I even like the factory grips and have no intention of changing them.

I would estimate that roughly 1600 rounds have been fired through the gun and it sometimes accompanies me on work days at a friend's ranch...but it also serves as an always loaded house gun as well.

If I could get Ruger to stop with all the lettering on the bbl AND offer this style revolver in .44 Special, rest assured that I would. I think a 5-shot .44 Special GP100 would sell like the proverbial hotcakes.

I know at least one would...and probably two!

I still enjoy and like the older (read that pre-lock) S&W revolvers but have also gained quite a bit of respect for the Ruger revolvers I've tried as well.

These are the only two Ruger revolvers that I own. Both have proven themselves utterly reliable and worthy of serious consideration for folks wanting tough revolvers that seem to just keep on doing what they do. I would trust either of these for "serious" purposes.

Best.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Thanks for the report, as always the writing and pictures are top notch. Sometimes I see where folks knock the Ruger GPs and SPs as being too heavy, but have never understood what's supposed to be wrong with having a hell-for-stout quality.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I to am a big S&W fan as I carried snubbys for years. I bought a SP-101 and put a C/T laser on it and carried it for a good while. The more I shot it the better it shot. The trigger took about 800rds to get real smooth. I shot everything in it but the kitchen sink and it was flawless. Mine went in a last mintue trade at a gun show for the wife could have the Colt Government .380 she wanted. I am going replace it one day down the road with another SP or GP.
Thanks Mr Camp for a fine read.
Regards: Baldy

·
Registered
154 Posts
IRT the barrel lettering: many of the members here are also on the S&W Forum, and will be familiar with Dhart's excellent gun photography. He put some pic's up awhile back that showed his "de-billboarded" GP-100. He grinds off the lettering on the barrel, and the results look quite good.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Stephen,

Thanks for the post on the Rugers, I agree 100% on the difficulty on finding a 13 or 65 in 3", the M13 3" I have now took me almost two years to find, still looking for the 3" M65. The GP100 and the SP101 are solid handguns, I have owned three Rugers, a 4" GP100, a 3" SP101, and still have a 941 5" .22 mag. and I don't think I can wear it out.

Thanks as always for your great photo's.

Papabear

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
I owned a 4" GP 100 and it was a very accurate gun. The problem I had was it would lock up in double action. I called Ruger and they said no problem just send it in and they would make it right. The cost for me to send it back overnight air was $60. I thought about it for a minute and sold it to a friend and bought a Smith model 66 that was on sale for a few more bucks. Now my only problem is my wife won't give it back.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts