Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks: At the Indy 1500 gun show, I run across a GP 101 4" in about 90% condition for $299. While I didn't buy it, was that a fair price? How do these revolver handle and shoot, what are their weaknesses? Thanks: Duce:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Duce,

I am thinking that you ran across a GP-100 (the SP-101 is their small frame DA revolver) if it was a 4" .357? The GP series is Ruger's answer to the L frame S&W and is an extremely robust and well made gun. The trigger will probably not quite be up to the older S&Ws, but it is not at all bad and can be improved by a competent gunsmith. MY GP-100 is one of my "keepers", but I am not calibrated on prices for used models; MSRP on the 4" blue GP-100, adjustable sights, is around $550, so the price you saw is probably pretty reasonable.

The smaller frame SP-101 is also a good gun but is a bit heavy for pocket carry.

One of the nice things about the Ruger DA revolvers is that they do not have the internal lock found on the current S&W guns.

PGM

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi duce,

Yes, that would be a fair price and I have seen a number of them marketed as Police "turn-in" handguns in my latest SOG circular.

I have owned the GP-100 and it was a very robust handgun. I switched back to the S&W about the time of the "hamburger wars" between S&W and Ruger. :)

Chris

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, for the correction, the revolver I looked at had adjustable sights and looked like it was Ruger's answer to the mod. 19 or L-frame Smith. The wear pattern sure pointed to a ex-duty gun. I must be nuts looking at wheelguns when the world is Glock crazy!! Oh! well a fine madness indeed: Duce

G

·
I just bought a new GP100, SS, AS, 4". I got to try the action in the gunshop before I bought and I have to say it rivals a Smith, at least the new ones. I put some of the hottest ammunition I had through it and with the factory grips, it was very comfortable. What a tank.

G

·
A 4" Gp-100 SS was a recent purchase. An ex-Airborne friend of mine recommended it because of its strength and durability. As he put it: "You can drop a bomb on it and it will still fire" and after his time in the first Gulf War I took his assessment to heart. With all the talk about shooting-out undersized .357 revolvers, I believe the GP 100 will stand up for years. As long as the bore is still good I think these revolvers will have a long life. The action is stiffer than old an S&W, but stages cleanly. And as my friend added: "If you're out of ammo you can always use it as a very sturdy club!"

·
Registered
399 Posts
The GP-100 or SP-101 with a set of Wolff springs and a touch up on the trigger will be as smooth as any S&W. My smith charged $65.00 for the springs and putting the stone to my SP 101, and it was slick. In fact it was almost as slick as my Colt Python. The springs only cost about $15.00 if you can do it yourself. These two Ruger are tough as nails, and will last a life time or two.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts