Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
a limited edition laminated stock Ruger 10/22 (I like laminated stocks..they have more personality than composites) or a beautiful Smith & Wesson model 64 with a 3 inch barrel ?

·
Registered
202 Posts
There not making the M 64 anymore, are they? You can always get a Ruger later.

The biggest mistakes I made with guns, is not the ones I bought, but the ones I didn't when I had the chance.

Regards,

Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the Ruger is out of stock :-/ so they will call my dealer when they get more in..might be a month or so ;) so the Smith is on it's way and I can still get the 10/22 later :)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi shaman,

It depends on where you live and what you do for your shooting pass time. If I lived out in the country (I don't) and had access to a lot of "plinking and informal target shooting" opportunities, I would buy another 10/22 in a heartbeat! I've only owned about 4 of them so far.

However, if I wanted a wheelgun to shoot and serve double duty for protection, concealed carry and wadcutter target shooting, I would pick the M64 which was cataloged up until last year by S&W.

Since you have already ordered the M64, congradulations and shoot well. I know you will have a great time with it! Let us know how it works out for you!

Chris

PS: You can still buy the plain jane 10/22 from Walmart for under $300.00 later and buy a laminated stock later on. Midway Arms has a lot of aftermarket stock/ bull barrel combos to feed your need for a laminated stock!

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
To me the only 10/22 that even begins to approach a S&W is the old "International" model which had the full length stock (which some call a "Manlicher").

To be honest, I have not met many 10/22s that would out shoot a S&W 64 (some of the custom or perhaps the heavy barreled models might do it).

But a fella has to follow his heart...that's how we end up with so many guns gathering dust ;)

Good luck!
Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can buy a plain Jane stainless 10/22 for $225 at Wal Mart..my dealer said he can't beat that price..I told him I'd rather buy it from him..and that limited edition is worth the extra cost to me

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
To me the only 10/22 that even begins to approach a S&W is the old "International" model which had the full length stock (which some call a "Manlicher").
I bought my dad one of those Wal Mart jobs 9 years ago..he loves it :)

·
Registered
83 Posts
That's like asking whether you want a Porsche or a pickup. A classic SW is a work of art. I might argue your choice in the Smith line, but we'd still be talking apple and apples. The 10/22 is the quintessential utility .22, one of those guns you gotta have. Porsches don't do what pickups do. I can live without the 64. I would miss my 10/22.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I bought both of them..not that I need another .38 special or for that matter another .22lr rifle :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's like asking whether you want a Porsche or a pickup. A classic SW is a work of art. I might argue your choice in the Smith line
but what if the Porsche and the pick up truck cost the same ? also it was the only S&W in stainless I could find for $280

btw thanks hangfire

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really wanted a 3 inch barrel model 65 but somebody's hoarding all of them

btw I did get both the 64 and the 10/22

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there and congradulations!

I really wanted a 3 inch barrel model 65 but somebody's hoarding all of them
Keep looking like I did. One will pop up when you least expect it and when you don't have the cash!

Chris

1 - 15 of 15 Posts