Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone feel that the Rossi 44spl,3" is worth keeping? I never see them listed on any auction sites so maybe it is rare. It is inherited and I have others from the same person so I was thinking of maybe selling this one to fund another gun purchase.

I see Rossi 38's and 357's up for sale all over the place. But in the last year or more I have never seen the 720.

Now this is a tenitive idea but it may bear fruit. Let me know what you think.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I think that they're pretty neat guns - I believe that the Rossi brand name is going to detract from the price, but that there'll be folks like me who'd look at it as a potential "poor man's 696." I've sort of had half an eye out for a properly priced specimen 720 or else a Taurus 431 for years now.

That said, I've sold a WHOLE LOT of pretty neat guns that just didn't do it for me. You'll have to make up your own mind.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Like Erich said, it wont be worth much, but given that they don't cost very much either, I don't see it as a big loss. If it has no sentimental value and you have not found a use for it, I say go ahead and sell it to purchase a firearm that you would use and cherish.

There is nothing wrong with a 44 special. at worst it's about in the same power class as a 45 ACP, given the low pressures for the round.

Given its chambering and the short barrel length, its definitely a SD gun and not a hunting piece but with the price of ammo being what it is, you would probably be better off with some of the more traditional SD cartridges (9mm, 357, 45 etc) given that you could purchase ammunition much more cheaply and the variety of guns in those calibers is much more extensive. Around here, 44 SPL is about as expensive as 44 REM MAG and nowhere near as versatile.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, with that being said I will agree with you guys. I already have a DW 44mag with longer bbl's and a few 38/357's in different bbl lenghts and 45's and a BUNCH of 9mm's. If I can't defend myself with those I may as well vote for........... Almost got suspened again.

I'll be going to the gun store Saturday and see what I can get. My stepson is getting his first 22 rifle next week and maybe this can pay for it.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Spikey,

The way I see it is this: If you have to ask, then you probably should keep it.

Maybe it can be his first revolver. Relatively little recoil and it's a real thumper.

Josh <><

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Helpful hint (I used to manage a gun store): go to the gun store with a value in mind that you want for it. Spend a half hour on the computer comparing prices of similar guns that have sold on Gunbroker and Gunsamerica, and extrapolate. (They probably would sell online for somewhat less than your gunstore will sell them - you should expect the gun store to give you about 50% of the retail price they'll put on the gun in cash and to give you 75% of the retail price they'll put on the gun in trade.)

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Josh, I let T shoot the DW 44mag with a 6" bbl on. We were out side at the Iowa property in December. The magnum rounds shook him up a bit and he didn't want to shoot it again even with 44spl's. Maybe later he'll try it again but I don't want to push him. But thanks for the suggestion.

Erich, I have looked for the Rossi 720 on a bunch of auction sites but have never found one. Lots of 38/357's but no model 720. I have found them in some mid 1990's catalogs I have and the revolver seems to be in AS NEW condition so I don't know if it is rare or not popular. I plan on going today and see what I can get in trade for a 22 rifle. I'll let you folks know what happens later. Thanks for the information.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I was offered $275.00 for a trade and $200.00 for them purchase it. Or I can trade for a used 10/22 w/ scope and bi-pod and 1k 22 bullets. I'll wait for T to see the 10/22 before I make up my mind.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hmm. That sounds about right, actually, on the purchase and trade-in values. As far as the trade goes, what sort of scope on the 10/22?

Anyhow, now that you know what the shop thinks it's worth (through extrapolation), you could float it on Gunbroker with a starting price of $330, no reserve, and see if you get any action . . .

·
Registered
12 Posts
I bought one a few months ago for $270. A DAO with a bobbed hammer. I got it from a friend, not a store, and he threw in a bag of cleaned brass. It's a decent shooter. As Nelson said, it's an SD gun, but it gets shot quite a bit since reloading brings the cost down. I've been carrying it a bit and it makes a great nightstand gun.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I finally saw some advertised at AuctionArms.com. They were asking around $212.00 to $375.00. So I guess the trade price is a good one. Mine looks to be new and unfired with the original box and I found the manual too. Shoot, I might just keep it or at least try it out and see if I like it first.

DRBOOMBOOM, Mine also has the bobbed hammer and factory rubber grips. The grips do not have much of a curve on them. Still they feel OK enough to do thier job.

Later Folks and thanks for the input.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts