Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends: All the Model 10 interest on this forum has hooked me as well. However, these Smiths seldom show up at my local gun shops these days, and when they do the asking price for excellent examples (99% plus) is around $375.

So here's my question: I have come upon a Royal Hong Kong Police Model 10 (10-7, I believe) that is in 99% condition. Only a faint cylinder ring showing that it isn't pristine. The fact that it is a RHKP revolver adds to its appeal for me, something a bit different. However, I am at a lost to put a real world value on it. What do you think?
--c

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Sounds 'spensive to me but the RHK Police are a bit of history like the Shanghai Municipal Police and the RHK Regiment. Gone with the wind....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hey Corky the old M-10 is what a lot of us cut our teeth on when we started out with revolvers. There is a big surge on right now for S&W's revolvers. The prices just keep going up.
The RHKP were rejected at the end of the run and I beleive they were in the 10-7 to 10-9 series. Some say a lot of these never got out of the box that they were shipped in. IMHO $375 is a little high for a RHKP as I can get a good K-19 model for that money. It's all in what you want and how bad you want it. If you buy one just don't look back and enjoy it. Good luck.

Best Baldy

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I got a Hong Kong Customs model 10 a year or so back, and while yes, I paid more than I should have for it, the gun's a good, solid shooter and a lot of fun to wear to the range.

I'm going to get a lanyard for it. :)

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Baldy,

When you speak of them as "being rejected" does that mean that there was a factory defect, which caused RHKP to refuse a shipment--I've heard a rumor to that effect--or were their revolvers traded in for a more modern handgun? Thanks. --c

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hello Corky. No I should have said more. The guns were fine and made to S&W high quatity as always. The Hong Cong Police rejected them for no good reason except they didn't wish to pay for them. S&W turned them over to their distributors to sell. I repeat there is nothing wrong with the gun. Like I said if you buy one don't look back just enjoy it. Good luck.

Best Baldy.

G

·
There is one of these at a local pawn shop in perhaps 95-97% condition; used but in fairly nice condition. I believe that it was tagged at about the price that you quote for the one you saw or a bit more. Given that pawn shop prices (in my area) are almost always negotiable downwards, the price for a 99% one for $375 would be fair to good. The RHKP markings do put a premium on the value, but not a lot.

Plain M-10's in the same condition can be had cheaper, but if you want the item, I wouldn't walk away from it at the price.

·
Registered
502 Posts
So it's maybe $25 to $35 higher than you'd like. It's a mod. 10 in a version that is certainly not common, as well as in top condition, and will be a keeper for years. As the man said, buy it and don't look back ;) A million or so Victory model 10's were made, but nevertheless real nice one's bring a premium-& at least one of them belongs in your armory, also.
Regards, G>M>F>

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I gave $260 a couple years back for one, which was rather high at the time, as I was still seeing occasional Model 10's in OK shape for less than $200.

Main reason I grabbed it was the rack number was very low and it was pinned, which most of them were not. Possibly a test lot. I need to do some research on it.

Last show I hit hereabouts people were asking $300 for late Model 10's.

$350 in 95% or better and pinned.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks. I passed on the one I found. Asking price was $600! I was willing to go $450. --c

G

·
I paid $169 for my RHKP model 10-7. I felt that, regardless of what its history is, you don't pass up a Model 10 at that price.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I paid $169 for my RHKP model 10-7. I felt that, regardless of what its history is, you don't pass up a Model 10 at that price.
Just so. Prices on S&W's have gone insane here.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
17 Posts
My RHKP Model 10 exhibits many years of holster wear as did the dozen or so I looked at when I bought mine in the early/mid '90's for $135. All I saw looked essentially the same holster wear-wise . . . a LOT of it. Somebody didn't reject these and carried them a good while.
???

·
Registered
580 Posts
Four years ago, when I was in Hong Kong, I noticed the walking patrol Officers in the CBD carrying S&W Model 10's. The Officers in the Airport had MP5's that I couldn't take my eyes off of, didn't notice what they had on their hip, but I think it was a Block.

I'm a fan of the Model 10 but lately prices have gone "haywire". :(

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just came across a RHKP Model 10, a test fired only contract overrun item, which had never left the USA. Asking price a cool $850. I find that amazing, but then I recently saw that a Smith 1046 (Blue Book 100%, $675) sold at auction for over $3,000. So nothing should surprise me now. --c

·
Registered
17 Posts
Holy cow!!! Finally, a first in my life. A trend that I got in early on and bought 4 M&P's (1ea 4", 1ea 5" and 2ea 6") on the cheap before they shot up. Normally I'm on the crying side of those trends!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts