Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Joshua's thread on cap'n ball revolvers made me think of two that I would like to own, some day. That's the 1851 Navy and the 1860 Army.
Would like to know anything about the two that may be of interest. I'll leave the thread open and let you black powder experts have a ball (pun intended).
Personally, as noted, I like the lines of the 1860 Army better than the 1851.

Go to it, gents!

Wes

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I have both and shoot both. It would be hard to come up with a preference, but I'll try to give my thoughts.

A late 1960s reproduction Navy was my first handgun, and in fact, I still have it. I take it out and shoot it every year or so. I also have a couple of other Navy repros that I like to shoot as well. The Navy was a preferred weapon of Southern cavalrymen and border guerillas, though to be honest, the Southerners used most anything they could come up with. A man with a pair of Navy (or Army) revolvers was well armed and a fairly dangerous man. Remember that Wild Bill Hickock used a pair of Navy Colts. :)

Did I mention that this is a hard one? The Army is more powerful and uses more lead and powder. It's also slightly easier to clean by virtue of the camming style loading rammer and the larger caliber. I've found that it also doesn't foul quite as quickly as the Navy. For accuracy and instinctive pointing ability, I'd give the nod to the Navy, but hey, who's to say you can't have both? One thing you might consider, though, is going ahead and getting a pair.

And yeah, I like the looks of the Army 60 more than the boxier Navy, but in the end it's about the shooting, and both are loads of fun.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
I prefer the Navy. I've shot them but don't own one yet.

To be perfectly honest though, I'd like an 1872 Open Top reproduction in .38spl. There are just times I don't have the patience to reload.

Josh <><

G

·
Aw heck, that's easy. Get a repro of the 1861 Navy. All the styling of the 1860 Army with the balance of the 1851 Navy. Mine is by Uberti and it is a delight.

Bart Noir
Noobie, first post here, how'd I do? And Howdy Do!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts