Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Went yesterday to the range for a wheelgun session with the Manurhin MR73 5 1/4" and the S&W M15 4". Shot for accuracy at 25 m. with both but, with 2 italian expressi in the blood, its was not the day for tight groups. Anyway, in SA mode, the M15 doesn't seem to be any inferior to the expensive french piece. Both are very comfortable to shoot, with a slight preference to the M15 due to its lighter weight and its exceptionnal balance.

At 10 m., that balance was an asset for combat drills too. In my hand, with square magnas grips and Tyler-T, the M15 points extraordinary well. I got decent results without event aligning the sights. The MR73 isn't as instinctive and fast on the target but the butter DA does compense partly. When I shoot both I'm disoriented by the longer and stiffer pull of the M15.

This M15 would deserve an action job. Anyway, the comparison was fun. I shot 9 mm para in the MR73: in the 5 1/4" tube, the round rocks nicely. I wish I could chronograph them along with .357 and .38.

Bye.

L.

P.S.: I shot a Glock G19 too. Impressive how these shooting machines do well at combat distances...

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Larry,

It sounds like you had a really fine time and we appreciate the comparative range testing of the two revolvers.

I do indeed understand what you mean by being a little shakey after two cups of Italian Expresso.... I often abstain from drinking too much coffee before going to the range myself....

Back on the subject, is the lock time on the Manhurin shorter than the S&W?

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello Chris,

The range was crowdy that rainy sunday morning so I slipped the cups that the manager generously offered...

Yes, the lock time is much shorter on the Manurhin. The hammer fall too, I'll check for the exact angles in the litterature. It is pretty surprising as the mecanics are similar and the pull much lighter on the Manurhin.

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
645 Posts
Hi Larry,

Thanks for the range report on the Manurhin MR73 5 1/4" and the S&W M15 4, very interesting difference, I'm not familiar at all with the Manurhin other than what I have read, now with your report I have a up close and personal understanding about it, look forward to any future reports on your Manurhin MR73.

papabear

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In the litterature, the hammer fall angle by the Manurhin is given as 42 grades, 54 for S&W and 60 for the Colt Python. I didn't measure personnaly as it must be pretty tricky to do...

Bye.

L.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Larry,

That is really interesting information and it does actually explain some things in your comparative shooting session.

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts