Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking at the Springfield XD 9 compact (3" barrel) as a possible CCW. I already have a Kahr PM9 which is my main CCW but was interested in greater capacity gun.

Need feedback from current XD 9 compact owners regarding:

1-How resilient is the finish.

2-Is the Stainless steel slide added cost worth it or not?

3-How reliable is Springfield Arms regarding their Lifetime warranty?

·
Registered
39 Posts
All I can tell you is I've had my 9mm XD Subcompact for over a year. I have put about 1,000 rounds of all types through it and have had perhaps 2 or 3 FTFs at the most. It is accurate, reliable, works well with the XD Gear magazine extender (15 rounds) and I have not had to send it back for any warranty work. However, I have contacted Springfield Armory's customer service a couple of times with questions, and they responded quickly and very professionally. I actually traded a Kahr P9 for it because of the XD's greater capacity, even though the Kahr was otherwise an excellent and reliable pistol in its own right.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feedback. I have seen some posts that claim there is a finish wear/rust problem with the slides and was wondering. Then I wonder the real reason for the rust problem.

I like the feel of the gun, the high capacity and reviews I have read in magazines are pretty positive.

G

·
ANY STEEL will rust, even stainLESS steels if not properly cared for. Stainless just takes a bit longer in most cases, my body is so acidic that I can rust one in 8 hours of carry in Fl weather, the side against my skin anyway.

As to SA warranty, one of the best in the industry and we sell a lot of their firearms.

G

·
I adore my XD subcompact to the point that I named her.
I've had her for almost two months now and carried her every day for concealed carry. She's showing some finish wear from the holster. Just a little thinning of the finish so the steel shows through. She's a warrior, not Miss America, so I'm fine with that. She's been kayaking and shot in the rain. I do clean her.

I've heard nothing but good about Springfield's warranty and customer service.

The holster I have (designed by my husband) protects the gun and me from each other. I also sometimes carry in a SmartCarry, which works fine too.

Keep us posted on your quest. Gun shopping is the best!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thnaks for all the feedback and the HS200talk forum. I found it quite helpful.

I will rpobably make the decision soon regarding the XD 9SC.

G

·
Good pistol. Very reliable. Reasonably accurate. Mine came from the factory with an unstaked front site...easily remedied. Longer grip than the Glock 26, so more to hang onto. Significantly larger than the G26, so more problematic to conceal and there still aren't a whole pile of holsters made for it. Bore axis is quite high, which is a little disconcerting, but not a problem.

I never developed a personal relationship with mine and didn't use it much, so it got traded on a pristine .41 mag Redhawk like one I used to own a long time ago...

Bob

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't have a subcompact XD, but I've got the duty size one. No problem with the slide or anything else rusting. I think Springfield may stess MAY have had a problem in the past, but it apparently has been corrected.

My gun has been downright boring for the 500 or so rounds I've put through it since I got it in Feb. I don't get as much time to shoot as I did last year. It has never malfunctioned, and it is dead on the target. By far the gun I shoot the best. Rather that's because the gun is more accurate or just that it fits me, I don't know.

I like it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update:

Thanks to the feedback I went and bought the XD9-SC Bi-tone this past Saturday and took it to the range on Sunday. I shot 200 rounds FMJ without a single failure, it was shooting a bit to the left but great groups at 15 yards considering the barrel size. My main purpose was to start the breaking-in process and evaluate for proper function.

Overall I would call it a winner and who can beat the 16+1 magazine in a 3" barrel gun?

Next time at the range I will evaluate whether the placement was due to the sights or my 'eyes'. More than likely what I call the getting to know a new gun and how it shoots process.

I found a website that has the high cap magazines (16) with the sleeve for about $25.00 which is a bargain. They had the Springfield item number and the insert had the "XD Gear" markings. I will see when I get them.

By the way, great looking gun with the SS slide and cleans great with Tetra Gun.

Now I am going to start saving for a leather holster deserving of the XD.

G

·
A couple of notes:
1. Consider the possibility that you've changed your grip due to a different grip size. It's basic, but very easy to overlook. Check grip before firing. Also could be too much trigger finger.
2. Consider using the 10 round mag for CC.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes, I noticed my grip was different and that was probably the reason. I was not too concerned because my main goal was to shoot and get the action broken-in.

I also have to get used to the different trigger action which by the way I like.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I've put more than a thousand XD-9 rounds down range without a failure. The finish has held up very well. No rust at all.
As previously stated-- all metals will rust. Treat the XD like you do your other guns. Keep it lubricated and wipe it down every couple of days. I haven't had a problem.
As for the Bi-tone, I think you made the right choice. I was a big fan of the dark colored guns because people are not drawn to dull colors should my gun be exposed briefly. I changed my mind after experiencing a car full of gang bangers who wanted to rob me. At that point, I wanted my gun to glow in the dark in hopes it would act as a deterent.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, my thought is that if I should ever be in a situation that the handgun has to come out the SS slide/gun is more noticeable thus serves as an added deterrent.

Then again if I was still in the military concealment is of the essence thus a black or dark finish gun would make more sense.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts