Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,

Although I have had a number of snub nose .38's I find myself carrying the Glock G36 more as a "replacement" fot the traditional hideout revolver.

The G36 weighs about the same as the .38's, but carries 1-2 rounds more ammo. It's chambered in .45 ACP. Flat and slim the G36 hides well and is small enough to use as a "pocket" piece. The use of a pocket holster is mandatory with the G36(or any Glock)

Finally the G36 handles/fits better for me than the snubs and is more accurate.

Chrono'd mine with 230 gr. Fed. Hydro-Shock. An honest 830 FPS 15 feet from the muzzle.

Personally, I think we have a winner.

Wes

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
You can't argue with that. My wife's personal carry gun is a Detective Special, but that is because she doesn't have the hand strength to work the slide on any semi-auto.
She really prefers the Colts to S&Ws. The plus side of that is 6 rounds v. 5 in the S&Ws.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IM WITH YOU ALL THE WAY WES, on the 36, but my 640, .38 still has its purpose. it stay's with my wife and kidds. even my 12 year old son can use it if something happen to his mom !! dont worrie he is a better shot then his mother. !!! jonboy

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I wound up doing much the same thing when I discovered SmartCarry. Now I carry the G36 a fair amount . . . although I've recently traded into an even easier-to-carry G26 . . . :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
While the G-36 makes a whole lot of sense to me and I much prefer the .45 to the .38, like the KAHR, it does not really replace my J-frame.

To be sure the thickness (1.05" right?) is less than the widest part of the J-frame but for some reason it is so square and blocky that that does not translate to handy concealment in a pocket or on the ankle at least not for me and I am pretty much committed to dressing around the gun.

This makes it a belt gun for me and for belt carry there are a whole lot of more efficient designs. For some reason I find a full size Govt. Model or Browning much more comfortable in an IWB holster (I don't know if the Glocks just hit me in the wrong place with a corner or it is that they are thicker). I have never been able to shoot any of the sub compact Glocks with anwhere near the efficiency of a Commander, 1911 or Browning.

OTOH, I can shoot them about as well as my J-frames and they hold more bullets. And in the case of the 36, they are much more effective bullets.

Come to think of it, perhaps I need to shop for some bigger looser pants :)

Thought provoking.
Best regards,
Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts