Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I went out to the firing range today without note paper, camera, or any project or agenda other than to have some fun with my 4" S&W Model 10 HB. I picked this up "right" at a gunshow a while back and while I'd have preferred the traditional square butt, I've learned to live with the round one on this service size K-frame.

In this picture it has the inexpensive nylon "Hideout" grips on it and they work fine, but I put it back in original condition with the S&W round butt service stocks and a Tyler grip adapter before shooting it today.

Shooting the revolver double-action, I did mostly 15 and 25 yard slow-fire double-action shooting.

I did fire 12 shots rapid-fire at 5 and 7 yards, but then fired the remaining 88 shots in slow, deliberate double-action. Groups at 25 yards were about the size of a grown man's clenched fist which was good enough for me.

Speaking only for myself, I find that just shooting for fun is as relaxing as can be. Though I do think we should always work for proper grip, sight picture, trigger control, etc, sometimes it is just plain fun to go out and shoot for fun.

I think that sometimes I get too wrapped around the axle worrying about shooting the tightest groups possible or having a split time below this or that...and it seems to take the fun out of it after 30 + years. Now and then I suggest that we all just go and while we should try to do our best so that bad habits are not ingrained, just plain have fun.

Best.

G

·
Over the years I have come to shoot that way myself. I don't "bullseye" shoot, nor do I do the rapid "tac-tac", or whatever it's called these days. I try to approximate how I would really shoot if I were under attack and at realistic distances. Your model 10 is beautiful. I have my eye on an old one at a local gunshop myself. (this board is costing me money)

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Great photo, SAC! Today at lunch, I was reminiscing about an old Model 13 I used to have, thinking how it's hard to beat a HB K-frame. Actually, the fact that yours has a RB, 4" tube, no-lock and the newer style cylinder release makes it look really neat.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Love it!

I keep threatening to round-butt one of my 4" model 10's. Its a bit of a chore, as the forestrap has to be modified as well, and the mainspring tension screw altered.

Sounds like a great day at the range; I could use one myself.

Envious Regards,

Pat

G

·
It's gotten more and more rare for me to go out with paper, lately.

If you ever hear me talk about range time, I'll be as likely to talk in terms of whether or not the gun can keep a full magazine on a Coke can as whether it can shoot a 2" group.

That's the only way I really enjoy shooting. It gives you freedom to do things like pull out a shotgun, if you're having a bad day, and blow the living daylights out of that target you can't seem to hit, or to try something silly, like stacking up coke cans and shooting the bottom one out, then seeing if you can hit one of the others before it hits the ground.

If you're willing to spend a little money, you can even go out and get a case of cheap soft drinks, like Sam's Choice, shake 'em up real good, and then make em spew for kicks.

G

·
I regularly take trips to the range with old dead computer equipment and set them up on a few spare tarps I have...

We then proceed to reduce them to a smoky hulk of plastic and steel....

Then I grab the edges of the tarp with a buddy and wrap it up with the included drawstring (it's a yard tarp) and toss it in the jeep... when we get near a big dumpster we do our part to keep the range clean..

To be perfectly honest I can't think of a more ZEN moment than firing my P228 and putting all 13 rounds from 2 mags into a combo Fax/Copier/Printer that wasted about 2 hours of my day only to find it was dead and unserviceable due to physical damage...

We also popped two monitors with my AK... bump fired at them until the frames fell down and they kinda smoldered out...

kinda stinky but fun!

I'm sure my shooting abilities didn't improve much but I had fun on an 80* december day in the colorado high country with my dad a buddy and my girlfriend.

Thats what really counts!

G

·
Well, that's the funny thing. Your shooting skills might not have improved drastically from that kind of range time, but they still improved a little, and any trigger time that helps familiarize you with your weapons is always a good thing.

G

·
Did much the same today, went to the range and did some draw and fire drills with the HP .40, for a little while, then pulled out the P22, threw a couple of pop cans out about 20 yards away and put about 300 rounds throught the Walther chasing the pop cans around the range. Then, had the 6" 357 and shot about 40 rounds, wasn't much left of the cans when I was done. I hadn't shot a big pistol in a long time, the .357 is a LOT louder than the .40 and a lot more kick. It's nice that the range has a dirt (that means MUD) berm, so the misses really show up, and if you hit just under the can it goes flying 20 feet straight up.

G

·
I like range trips like that. They remind us how fun shooting can be. A good wheelgun and a few boxes of ammo and all is well with the world ;)
--Clyde from Carolina

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Stephen,

I went to the range yesterday to "play" with my newly aquired used M-65 and pretty much stuck to some non-serious shooting and really kept my concentration light and just plain took my time!

It was very enjoyable! I keep forgetting how fun it is to shoot a wheelgun and not have to worry about brass cases flying everywhere and reloading magazine after magazine!

I shot a couple of cylinders full of .357 magnums just to get my blood circulating and then plinked away with a box of Remington UMC practice loads.

I ordered new round butt service stocks yesterday to replace the worn ones from J&G Wholesale of Prescott, AR. The Tyler T-grip is next!

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts