Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This doesn't sound right to me however I haven't shot .357 mag in a while and certainly not without hearing protection. I do note when shooting IPSC that the .38 Supers are the loudest caliber used.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Almost;

There is something about pushing a lot of powder through a small space (and having some of it escape through the cyl gap) that creates some very uncomfortable noise. I find a 4" .44 mag quite a bit less annoying than a 4" .357 (I once shot a woodchuck 6 times with my 4" M-19....the ringing did not go away for a week....in fact that was 25 years ago and it still comes back!!!!)

That said I can think of one that is worse.... A Ruger Blackhawk in .30 Carbine. Shooting this thing without earplugs is like having an icepick driven into your ear canal!!!!! Do not do it!!!!

My hearing is damaged (some from that .357 episode, another from a guy shooting a .308 1 foot behind my left ear, and mostly from a constant exposure to industrial noise at about 100 db).

I will say that just reading the sound on a meter in db is not the whole picture....there is something to the frequency of the noise but I have not been able to define just what it is.

To my great surprise, the 9X23 is not a loud and unpleasand cartridge. Most .357 Sig load are.... I don't know how to explain that at all!

Onward,
Jim

·
Registered
198 Posts
Pressure may have something to do with it? .45ACP is notably less boomy, cracky and flashy (like those adjectives?) than 9P, .357Sig, .40SW, plus it's subsonic.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If safe levels are below 100dB and firearms range from 140 to 170dB, ... are ordinary earplugs enough? Earplugs I've seen are rated at about 25dB reduction which leaves well over 100db noise when shooting.
So what do you do?
I wear both earplugs and muffs which still might be enough.
og

1 - 5 of 5 Posts