Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have one in my hands, very nice pretty mini pistol. Its like a toy. I am not sure if it can be used for anything, mabie backup pistol, but it is really cute, nice, very accurate.

Have you seen one? any Experience??

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hello!

Not only not seen one, can't find 'Reck' in the reference I have handy. Where was it made?

I enjoy occasionally taking my little Vest Pocket .25 out for a plinking session. They are fun!

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have always considered the .25 ACP to be about as useless a handgun cartridge as existed. But I do own a Colt Vest Pocket Model made in 1919. So I scrounged up some odds and ends of domestic and foreign made ammo and took it to the range one day just to see if the little blaster still worked.

The sights are useless so I just aimed it at the ten ring of a 25 yard bullseye target from about five yards. Fired six rounds and couldn't see any holes until I got closer. All six in about two inches inside the ten ring. I was astonished by this level of accuracy. So I decided to see if I could repeat it. I did it several times with a mix of ammo brands. I shot off every round I had and then cleaned it up and put it away. I'll most likely never shoot it again but it is satisfying to know that if push came to shove I could rely on the little Colt to do its job.

Roadster

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hello!

Looks to be one of many brands made between the Wars in Europe or maybe earlier. They tend to be be decently finished and functional.

The .25 ACP (6.35 Browning) is about the same power level as a .22 Long Rifle with a couple of differences. The metal jacketed bullet almost always feeds and the centerfire priming always fires. Thus they meet at least two criteria for defensive use that the .22 rimfire does not.

Power is minimal, of course.

But.... they will make a hole in someone, though not very deep. The first person I watched die of gunshot took a single .25 through the plumbing just above the heart. Went right down though it took him a while to bleed out. Guy I worked with took an entire magazine (6 or 7) in the chest area and only missed a couple days of work. A friend worked local case where a fellow popped his wife through her open mouth while she was screaming at him. DRT. He then tried to kill himself and made it to the ER with one in the brain.

Not the most reliable stopper.

The problem today is that while thin and flat, they are heavier than an AirLite .38 revolver. In their heyday they were significantly lighter and smaller than an all-steel service pistol and hid well.

They are still fun shooters and plinkers. Once at a Gathering there was a contest to see who could set off a small exploding target at about 70 yards. The assembled worthies were blasting away with AK's and buckshot with little effect. I was sitting down with foot elevated (BAD sprain the day before) and during a lull in the fusillade I popped a few at it with a little Beretta .25 I had at hand. BOOM!! With a straight face I commented "Accuracy trumps firepower" or something like that. Of course it was a lucky hit. As a side note, one of the little cases lodged between my bare toes and I set a record for unwrapping an elastic bandage. :)

Roadster, my Vest Pocket also dates to 1919. At some point it was not well cared for and is a little pitted, and the barrel won't come all the way out of the slide. Possibly a slight bulge. Shoots about as well as yours.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hy,

In this gun, sights are not so useless. Accuracy is good. It is a very loud gun (I am not sure if the gun, or .25 ACP) but to be accurate you need to have a very good grip, which in such a small pistol is not allways the best, or at least I have some difficulties to grasp the gun properly. More than a real gun, it seems to be a nice toy, but for defense, in a some situations, it might be usefull.

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
To my untrained eye, that Reck 6.35mm/.25 acp looks for all the world like a diminutive version of the Ortgies 7.65mm/.32 acp pocket pistol from the 1920s. Very smooth exterior, and kind of the same sleek profile. I would not be surprised to learn if the two post-WWI German handguns were related somehow. Here in the US we do find Ortgies .32s every now and then. They have a stylized sphinx in the grip that forms "D" for "Deutschland." Nice little pea-shooter there iagbarrb!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a Beretta 950 in .25ACP. Do any of you remember an ammo company caller MagSafe? I think that is what it was called. Their ammo for the little .25 was amazing. I had a round in the chamber of my .25 and fired it, thinking it was just a regular FMJ by Winchester and it actually kinda hurt my hand. At first I thought that it might have been a KB and then I remembered what had been in the chamber. I was impressed.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Not seen any in a while. What I remember is its a prefragmented projectile like the Glaser, but they used larger pellets or something. Glaser came back with a competing product (Grey tip?).

There is a website for them. No idea if its the same company ownership as before.

http://www.magsafeonline.com/

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I don't know. At one time I had access to prefragmented projectiles that had a thin lead cup inside the jacket but I believe the fellow sold the business to someone else.

Other than for special purposes I don't see a use for them; too little penetration. I did carry Glasers for the first round or two in a .44Special back when the available loads did not expand.

In the .25 especially, you need all the penetration you can get. I have used the Winchester 'expanding' pellet point before, but it isn't really needed in a steel frame gun. Its real purpose is to enhance feeding by placing a steel BB in the nose that won't catch on rough feed ramps.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
2 Posts
Have one in my hands, very nice pretty mini pistol. Its like a toy. I am not sure if it can be used for anything, mabie backup pistol, but it is really cute, nice, very accurate.

Have you seen one? any Experience??
YES i OWN ONE I'M TRYING TO FIND AMMUNITION FOR IT, DO YOU KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND IT?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts