Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gun show this weekend, and I'm on a mission to find a carry gun with the following criteria;

9mm or higher caliber
single stack magazine
4" or less barrel length
reasonable cost

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
If it weren't for the single stack criterion, I'd suggest something in the CZ line. The only CZ I own is an older 75, but there are several relatively compact members of the lineup that I find really interesting.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I am not sure what reasonable cost is, but a great value is the S&W 1911 series - they work and can compete with factory/custom makers of the same quality costing 3 to 4 times as much. Personally I think Kimbers are a great deal also but all of mine are old. I hope they are still as good.

Springfield Armory, Mil-Spec 1911s are a bargin at somewhere in the $500 range (would rather have one of these than a "bargain" on a lesser made gun at $300).

A real bargain, in not quite as nice a platform, are the used Star pistol models: BM, B, A and PDs Usually less than $250 though PDs run in the $350 range and are not quite as durable.

You might run into a used S&W single stack DA/SA or DAO auto in 9mm, .40, 10mm or .45 for anywhere from $350 to $450 (saw several of the 4506 and 645s at the last big show for that price).

Sounds like you want an auto (note how a trained investigator concluded that from the "magazine" clue
) but if revolvers were to be considered the old K-frames are quite useable as carry guns, especially the fixed sighted 3" models like the M13 or M64 and M65. Those are runnin in the $250 range quite often though they are going up. I would certainly rather have a S&W revolver than an off brand auto for the same money but that may be just me.

Non of the above is a recomendation, just a report. Personal defense is far to important to just take other peoples advice...it is a life long study: If you don't study you wont live as long :-/

Good luck!
Jim

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
If it weren't for the single stack criterion, I'd suggest something in the CZ line. The only CZ I own is an older 75, but there are several relatively compact members of the lineup that I find really interesting.
I would certianly second that! Quality guns at reasonable price. Most CZs are also very comfortable in the hand.

Good call!
Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A Star BM 9mm fits your needs almost to the letter. Price is about $150.00 landed and magazines are very reasonable. Parts are hard to find, but in all my years of packing Stars, I have never needed any spare parts. They have the external extractor, a neat magazine, they are very acccurate for a 9mm, and very comfortable to shoot. I have one here that I like a lot.The barrel length is about what you asked for. Take a look at one in a gunstore and see if you like them. I used a 9mm BKM LW for a back up gun for many years when I was "On The Job". The Star Engineering is way ahead of Colt and has been most of my lifetime.

·
Registered
502 Posts
This suggestion may exceed your unstated $ ceiling, but look for a Kahr K9 or P9, The K9's are showing up due to all SS (little heavier) but both fit your criteria very well, IMHO. Regards, G>M>F>

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
A Star BM 9mm fits your needs almost to the letter. Price is about $150.00 landed and magazines are very reasonable. Parts are hard to find, but in all my years of packing Stars, I have never needed any spare parts. They have the external extractor, a neat magazine, they are very acccurate for a 9mm, and very comfortable to shoot. I have one here that I like a lot.The barrel length is about what you asked for. Take a look at one in a gunstore and see if you like them. I used a 9mm BKM LW for a back up gun for many years when I was "On The Job". The Star Engineering is way ahead of Colt and has been most of my lifetime.
I would certainly agree with that one too. I have a Star BKM "Starlight" that I purchased brand new for under $100, which might give you an idea of how old it is. I accurized it and milled in a set of Steel Micro sights to make a "trail gun" out of it.

I think it is Jack First or Bob's Guns that carries quite a few parts. I had to replace a broken firing pin (do not dry fire Stars!!!!) and a hammer but other than the fact that magazines are not to be found everywhere they are indeed well made guns, if they are a touch soft...but not much.

Onward,
Jim

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
The following meet all your criteria:

Used surplus Star BM
S&W 908, or used 3913/3914
Heritage Stealth (no longer available new)
Kahr CW9

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you very much for your replies. I am now very interested in the Kahr products. This is the price range I am looking in, and I have never really paid much attention to this brand before. After reading many reviews, it certainly is worthy of consideration. Thanks again.

Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There are a couple of threads on GlockTalk (positive in nature) that you might find interesting regarding the Kahr CW9.

If you could be satisfied with the plastic, non-dovetailed front sight and the one magazine, it could be just what you're looking for.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With the criteria given I would have to agree with the Star BM or Kahr......HOWEVER........If you want to live a little, go with the SA GI or a nice double stack CZ or HP

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The sig p239 fits all of your criteria and is enerally stone reliable from the box.

If you must have a .45, the Glock 36 nd a variety of sawed off 1911;s also fit.

·
Registered
392 Posts
try a s&w 39XX series................used ones go for about $300-$350.

they are flat as a pancake yet big enough to give your hand a proper fighting grip, easy to control in rapid fire. they are one of my favorites, if not the favorite.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts