Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought this might be pertinent:

The following test lets you rate your actual risk of being Assaulted on the Street. This test uses known risk factors taken from executive security courses, police detectives and security consultants.

https://www.rateyourrisk.org.secure.moses.com/beaten.html

My score:

Your total is -19.

(Negative score) A minus score indicates that the criminal would be in danger FROM YOU. The greater the negative score...the greater the danger.

(0 to 50) This score shows a low risk of assault. You are either highly cautious or a poor target. You should not be foolishly overconfident however. Keep up the precautions and take the test again next month and don't fudge on your points.

(51 to 80) This shows that you have a moderate risk of robbery or assault. It would be a good idea to be more cautious and cut out visiting an ATM machine at night. Take a self defense or executive security course. Don't carry so many charge cards.

(More than 80) It would be a good idea to make out a will. Put your portable valuables in a safe deposit box. Think twice before you go nightclubbing or driving. You are obviously having a fun life but to make it through another year it would be advisable to take up jogging, martial arts, firearms and carry a police officer with you when you go out. Carry some cash (25 to 50 dollars) and fewer credit cards.
Josh <><

·
Registered
645 Posts
Very interesting, maybe my score reflects that I perfer a S&W Model 13,

Your total is 13.

(Negative score) A minus score indicates that the criminal would be in danger FROM YOU. The greater the negative score...the greater the danger.

(0 to 50) This score shows a low risk of assault. You are either highly cautious or a poor target. You should not be foolishly overconfident however. Keep up the precautions and take the test again next month and don't fudge on your points.

(51 to 80) This shows that you have a moderate risk of robbery or assault. It would be a good idea to be more cautious and cut out visiting an ATM machine at night. Take a self defense or executive security course. Don't carry so many charge cards.

(More than 80) It would be a good idea to make out a will. Put your portable valuables in a safe deposit box. Think twice before you go nightclubbing or driving. You are obviously having a fun life but to make it through another year it would be advisable to take up jogging, martial arts, firearms and carry a police officer with you when you go out. Carry some cash (25 to 50 dollars) and fewer credit cards.

Papabear

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OG,

It's on a secure server, like if you get on if you pay with a credit card online. If you've not updated to at least Internet Explorer 6 with Service Pack 1, it likely won't work because most use 128 bit encryption nowadays.

Sorry for the late response; computer done crashed.

Josh <><

G

·
Interesting test. I scored a 1. But that might be because of where I work and the total lack of security around. One more year to go and then I am out!

·
Registered
720 Posts
OK, Josh, I entered just the first 3 items, www to .org and the site came up. Took the test, no risks here except on getting beat up I only scored a 0. Didn't get a minus due I guess to checking age over 60. The tests, 3 of them, are somewhat biased to give poor scores to blacks.
og

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
OG, that and that they really don't consider such things as personal awareness, etc. I really think, despite achieving a 'safe' score, that the test is worthless except for making one aware that certain behaviours, i.e. associating with criminal elements, illicit drug use, are inherently dangerous.

I've been waiting for someone to at least acknowledge that the test was flawed before I commented. Thanks!

G

·
abninftr, all test are "biased" one way or another. The reason I got my CWP was the knowledge of the risk factors I faced. If we, the members on this forum, were to put our heads together we could come up with a good "test". But the "anti's" would then claim that it was biases because "gun lovers" had put it together. All test of this type should just be a "starting point", not an "end all", for security purposes.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Worthless test for me. Most of the questions do not even remotely fit my living style or situation. A few examples: I walk in public probably on the average of 10 times a month. This is mostly when I go to the Super Walmart's to buy groceries. Very low risk there. Small town with a low crime rate. I never walk on the streets of a town, and maybe visit a shopping mall in Beaumont (100 miles one way from where I live) one or two times a year.

I am almost 71 years old, and rarely travel. Forget the wild women at my age. No dope, but beer yes, always at home.

I never lock the doors to my home. As a matter of fact I don't even know if I still have a key to my front door. I will point out that I live in an extremely low risk area. I do keep a loaded 9mm BHP in my night stand within easy reach, and keep a Glock model 22 loaded in my truck. Also, I have several other firearms around the house. I live by myself.

I could take most of the other questions and show that they are more or less worthless to me. My score was 33, but this is not valid in my situation. However, I do think I am low risk because of my life style, where I live, and my awareness. I realize that many, many other people are not as fortunate as I am.

Bert

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Kellar,
That is my point exactly. For instance, the risk factor caused by walking the streets of " Any Small Town", Texas is a fraction of what it would be for downtown Detroit.

Ditto for crowds. Podunk anywhere's 4th of July town festival versus a marketplace on the Gaza Strip.

There are too many suppositions in this particular test.

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone interested in making collaborating to make a test? We'd have to calculate it manually as I don't have any programming languages on this computer any longer. My C and BASIC floppy disks went bad.

Josh <><

·
Registered
218 Posts
Hello Josh,

As one that has "made" thousands of tests over the years (mostly high school math tests) I would be glad to participate. Off hand I think most of my contributions to this test would be in asking about the validity of certain questions. For example, as abninftr pointed out above how can you consider the number of times you walk on the streets of a town as a factor of Risk for Assault when some of us are walking on the streets of small town Texas while others are walking on the street of Detroit?

We have a bunch of very smart people with a lot of experience on this forum. It would be very interesting to see if "we" could come up with a test.

Bert

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hmmm... how about beginning by assigning a score to the city size in which you live? Or per capita crime. Though it would be hard to list all cities, key cities could be listed for this approach.

Thanks, and sorry for the long wait on the response.

Josh <><

1 - 20 of 26 Posts