Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

I recently acquired a 2" Colt Commando. This revolver has a 2" barrel, ramp front sight, matte finish (parkerized), walnut stocks, unshrouded ejector rod and is built on the medium size police frame. I have seen reference to the 4" Commando and its use during WWII, but I have found very little about the 2" Commando.

I have not found a ordnance mark on the piece. Overall condition is about 98%, with a spot on the left side of the barrel where there was some surface rust--no pitting. The gun appears to have been rarely fired if at all.

The left side of the barrel is marked "COLT COMMANDO 38 SPECIAL".

The right side of the barrel is marked "COLT'S MFG. CO. HARTFORD. CT. U.S.A."

The left side of the frame is marked with the rampant colt under the cylinder latch and with an "o" behind the trigger guard, an upside down triangle containing a joined vp is in front of the trigger guard on the same side.

The serial number is marked on the crane and is 8718XX, the same serial is marked on the frame inside that portion which contains the crane. Just below the serial on the frame is a "u" and a "G".

Any info you might have would be greatly appreciated.

I paid $300 for the pistol and am very happy with the purchase. I was just wondering if there was any add'l info out there about this particular model.

Thanks in advance for all your help. :)

G

·
In R.L. Wilson's The Book of Colt Firearms the Commando is a variation of the Official Police model with specifications determined by the U.S. Government. Production was limited to filling government contracts. Allocations of revolvers was under the jurisdiction of a special federal agency and the Commandos went to policemen, defense factory guards, the Maritime Commision, and similar non-military groups. Variations within the production run are limited but Commandos are often seen with special roll marks, usually on the backstrap or butt. Among these are designations identifying the weapon as originally used by the U.S. Army, Coast Guard and so forth. Total production 50,617. Serial number #1 on up. Manufactued 1942-45.

The reference didn't mention that the 2" Commandos were rare. Fjestad's Blue Book of Gun Values says that they are "less common" than the 4" ones. The 6" Commandos "are rare."

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Mr Croesus,

Congradulations on your find sir. You might also want to consider writing the factory to see what information they can provide you with relating to your specific revolver. The worst they can do is say sorry. For the cost of a stamp, they might provide you with some detailed historical information on your revolver - at least as far as when it was made, and who they initially shipped it to. With that info in hand, you could always try to write additional letters asking for more information.

Just a suggestion you might or might now want to try. Good luck in your quest to find out more info on your handgun.

twoguns

G

·
Colt has been charging $125 to research a specific handgun in their production records, and I've heard that they were going up to a fee of $150 for this service.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
I remember seeing both Colt and Smith & Wesson 4" revolvers in the arms rooms of aviation units. I think that the 2" barrels were standard issue to CID special agents and could be either Colt or S&W. However, I would ask Colt. I think they have good records for WWII contracts for the Commandos.

·
Registered
645 Posts
croesus,

Congrats on your new find, I just found a 4" Commando myself, most of the Commando's were DSC's The 2" Colt Commando is rare since only about 9000 were made, but after the war many of the 4" models were cut down to 2". Try this site for some info on the Commando's.

http://www.manatarmsbooks.com/pate.html

Papabear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts