Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my first trip to the range with my new Ruger New Vaquero the other day. I am very happy with this new gun.

Specs on my Ruger New Vaquero

Caliber: 45 Colt
Barrel: 5

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Headhunter,

Thanks for you report sir, and I am really glad to hear the New model Vaquero fits your needs so well. Not that it matters, but there are some clones that allow you to remove the clinder by pushing down on the "screw" as well.

I am grinning to see your daughter shot the best group of the day too. Enjoy making shooting a family sport whenever you can. It seems like the only problem you may ever have now, is the need to buy yourself another one since your daughter may want to claim this one.

Be it a Ruger, Colt or a clone, to me it is simply what suits that owner's needs the best. This one works for you, and to me that is all that is important. Enjoy it.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Is yours the "full size" Vaquero, or the "Colt size"? Ruger very wisely introduced a line which is smaller than the original with lines and handling nearly identical to the Colt.

You can get a conversion kit which gives the "click click click" as the cylinder is turned, as well as a "turn back" in the cylinder which makes loading marginally easier. If I were going to shoot Cowboy Action, I'd probably do that.

I've had several Vaqueros, but the only one I still have is a 7 1/2" stainless New Model I bought about twelve years ago. At the time you couldn't even find .45 Colt ammo, but because of guns like the Vaquero, that situation has changed for the better.

Have fun!. Looks like you and Calamity will be having a ball with that one till she's a grandma. :)

·
Registered
399 Posts
Love them old single action cowboy guns. I been thinking of getting another one. Glad to see you get the daughter out with you. I do the same thing when one of them has the time. Good shooting.

Best,Baldy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi LelandRay,

Mine is the Colt size Vaquero. It appears to me to be identical on the outside to the Colt except for a wider trigger, and two pins on the side of the frame instead of the Colt three screws. Also the hammer is very slightly different.

twoguns,
That is interesting that some other Colt clones have a push button system to remove the cylinder. I think that is a handy improvement.
My daughter is quite proud that she out shot me the other day. She has shot a Glock 17,26, and a 1911 but this gun is the first one she has been excited to shoot. (she likes western movies) I

1 - 5 of 5 Posts