Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I didn't have too much time but did manage to shoot the Model 64-2 snub.

All firing was done in double-action, standing and with a two-hand hold at 10, 12 and 15 yards. For some shooting at 45 to 50 yards, I did fire the revolver single-action.

This group was fired in slow-fire with the ammo being used and the distance on the target.

The lighter bullet 130-gr. Winchester JFP struck a bit lower but windage remained satisfactory. It was also fired DA in slow-fire.

Ditto on this target. An interesting thing is that I noted no difference in felt recoil from the Model 64 between this and the standard pressure LRN in the same 158-gr. weight. Such is not the case (for me) when shooting these loads through my considerably lighter Model 642.

At 12 yards, I practiced some "failure to stop" drills using both hands on the revolver and firing double-action as quickly as I could obtain a "flash" sight picture. I didn't have a timer but estimate probably a bit less than a second per shot starting from a low-ready position. Ammunition used was Remington's 158-gr. LSWCHP +P.

At 15 yards, I fired DA using a two-hand hold in slow-fire. Most shots grouped nicely but I did have some I blew. The Model 64 was doing its part; I just wasn't doing mine.

I also shot a few falling plates at about 12 yards and shot at approximately 45 to 50 yards using bits of debris on the firing range berm as targets. On these, I fired the revolver in single-action. Some hits were made but misses were not extreme; they were close.

The revolver was fired a total of 256 shots with varied .38 Special factory ammo I had at hand. There were absolutely no problems. Primer hits were plenty good and extraction an ease; no sticking cases.

I rather enjoy this thing despite its size and weight for being "only a 38". For a snub, I find it exceptionally easy to shoot and expect that it will be shot quite a bit in coming years. If you happen to like snubs in .38 Special and get a chance at one of these, you might give it serious consideration.

This snub was bought for a couple of reasons. One, I happen to enjoy shooting revolvers as well as semiautos and I do find the snub .38 to be a viable "serious gun" with appropriate loads. I was more than a little tickled to find that the POA = POI with the Remington 158-gr. LSWCHP +P. After a bit more shooting with this little gun, I'll be ready to trust it and when that day comes, it will likely be loaded with the LSWCHP +P for "serious" purposes should one present itself... but mainly I find it a heck of a lot of fun.

Best.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Good report Mr.Camp. I myself enjoy shooting the .38 and I load a good many cartridges for this caliber. Nosing around the gun shows tring to find an old S&W snubbie is always interesting. I just can't bring myself to pay some of the prices that they are getting for them. Oh well that's my problem. Glad to see that you are pleased with your new gun. Good shooting.

Best Baldy.

·
Registered
392 Posts
i couldnt agree more.

i was supprised at how well my 2" model 64 pointed and handled the "FBI load"....it is more accurate than any of my 2" J frames.

·
Registered
637 Posts
At my recommendation, my sister and my niece each bought a sheriff's department trade-in 2" Model 64 for home/car protection. They find them easy to shoot and handle them w/ confidence. If memory serves, they paid $220 for each.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I have a 2" Model 10, but it has the square butt. A 2" stainless K frame with round butt would be a wonderful thing to find. I guess I'll have to content myself with my 3" RB M10, but that 64 of yours is gorgeous, Stephen.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts