Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Yesterday I was able to get to the range with the SP101. My ammo bin is low on .357 Magnum ammunition and I found only three factory loads, one of which I prompty forgot and left at home! Thus, I was able to shoot the gun with only two .357 loads. Several .38 Special loads were fired in addition to the the magnum rounds.

Firing was done at two distances, 7 and 15 yards. At the closer range, all shooting was done double-action with a two-hand hold and as quickly as a "flash sight picture" could be obtained. At 15 yards, all shooting was slow-fire. It was done in single-action and from a rest.

Chronograph figures are based on 10 shots fired approximately 10' from the chronograph screens.

38 Remington 130-gr. FMJ: 821 ft/sec

38 Remington 158-gr. LSWCHP +P: 906 ft/sec

357 Remington 125-gr. GS: 1189 ft/sec

357 Winchester 145-gr. STHP: 1207 ft/sec

My revolver hit a bit low with .38 Special ammuntion, but was dead-bang on with the Winchester 145-gr. STHP in .357 Magnum. It was also "on" with the mid-velocity Remington 125-gr. Golden Sabers.

The groups from both of the loads shown are about the same. The Remington was much more easy to handle at speed than the Winchester, more so than the paper figures might initially indicate. Felt recoil is subjective, but for me, such is the case.

For those interested, a more detailed report including more ammunition results can be found at the link below:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Ruger%20SP101%20Report.htm

Best.

·
Registered
898 Posts
Was pleased to see that you had no extraction problems. This has always been the one bugaboo for me when it comes to short-barreled revolvers. Perhaps that's why I always ask myself why more of these snubbies haven't been successfully marketed in 9mm Parabellum. Gotta love those moon clips.

Owned one of the SP-101s in .357 when they first came out, and had the warning about cartridge OAL inscribed right on the barrel. Sorta wish I'd kept that one, apparently that early batch is collectible. Also it shot very well and the extra weight was appreciated when firing magnums!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Stephen, thanks for the update.

Those are pretty stout velocities out of your SP's tube (same length as mine) for the Remington FBI load (thought you'd get in the 800's fps for some reason) and the Silver Tip.

Think I'll start carrying/practicing even more with my SP 101 - with either of those 2 loads, although I (unsurprisingly) seem to be more accurate with the FBI load.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Mr. Camp,

Once again your range article and webpage shows the advantage of going to a 3" or so barrel versus the more common 2" or so barrel for CCW. It is definite food for thought. I am impressed with all the velocities listed and especially the mid-range 125-gr. GS velocity and subsequent energy.

IF I ever get enough pennies ::) saved up for a Ruger SP101 I will definitely first consider the how-tos of IWB carrying one with the 3 1/16" barrel.

Thanks for your time and effort into your range evaluation. :)

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Mr. Camp and others,

Are there any IWB holsters for 3 1/16" bbl. Ruger SP101s?

Thanks for the range report and photos!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello. I believe DeSantis and Bladetech do offer IWB holsters for the SP101. I'm sure there are others and I feel sure that Uncle Mike's sells the fabric ones that will fit the gun. I recently had an inexpensive but functional IWB holster given to me by a kind gentleman on another board. I forget
the brand, but it's made in Australia. I'll contact him and see who the maker is.

Best.

PS: The Australian holster is a Helwig.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Actually I have Kramer cowhide IWB's for my SP 101 (3" bll) and 1911, Glock and 686+.

REAL nice thin light IWB holsters that make concealing the weapon very easy and comfortable.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello. I've managed to work in a few range sessions with the SP101 since the previous posts were put out and continue to be most favorably impressed with this revolver. The action has slicked up very nicely and hitting falling plates as fast as the sights can find them at 15 yards is much easier than might initally be expected with magnum loads. Timing remains just fine and I really like being able to easily "stage" the double-action trigger pull in the quicker type shooting.

Other than to smooth and radius the sharp edges on the sides of the trigger, this revolver's only custom work has been shooting. For now, I will probably not be altered in any form or fashion as it is meeting all expectations now.

If you happen to be interested in a compact, all-steel revolver in .357/.38, I truly believe the SP101 is worth a hard look.

Best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts