Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tuesday I purchased a new CZ85 Combat in 9mm.

Took it to the range this afternoon along with a supply of my handloaded 115 gr FMJ. First mag fired at 50 feet to see where the factory fitted LPA adjustable sight were pointing. Two inches left and one inch high. Adjusted the sight and fired second mag. Still shooting a bit left. Made another adjustment and fired third mag on a fresh target. All 15 rounds in the ten ring with just over half into the X ring. I was using a 25 yard bullesye target center.

After getting the rear sight zeroed, I went down range to plink at some clay pigeons and beverage cans left there by the slobs who won't pick up after themselves. Killed all the pigeons with one shot each rapid fire at 30 feet. Bounced beer cans all over the backstop berm. After 100 rounds I quit due to the 92 degree/80% humidity. Shooting with sweat running down into my eyes isn't fun anymore.

One hundred rounds isn't enough to draw any solid conclusions. But, the pistol functioned perfectly with my handloads, shot as accurately as my P226 and 92FS, and it felt good in my hand. Very close to my Mark III HiPower.

This is my first modern CZ. I've owned just about every decent make of Euro 9mm pistol made. The 85 will never look as good as the HP, never shoot as accurately as my P210-6, and isn't as exotic as my P7M8. But I will admit that I am impressed. An all steel modern DA pistol for less than $500 and it will someday be a classic like the HP.

Roadster

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
triggerjerk,

I can shoot tighter groups with the Mark III Hi-Power than the ones I got yesterday with the CZ85. But I have owned the Mark III for about twelve years and have put a lot of rounds downrange with it. It is dead stock including the intact mag safety. The trigger has smoothed out with use and it is now as good as it is gonna get without a trigger job. The HP with my handloaded 115 gr FMJ will give me 2.5 inch groups at 50 feet. The best group I got with the CZ was about 3.0 inches (15 rounds) at 50 feet.

I have only the two supplied magazines and I am gonna order two maybe three MecGars from Midway next Monday. I figure that I need to put about 500 rounds through the 85 before I trust it enough to use as a self defense piece. I've got an assortment of various JHP factory ammo including Corbon, Winchester STHP, Remington Golden Saber, and Federal HydraShok. I want to shoot at least one box of each to check reliability and accuracy. Odds are that it will be the expensive Corbon.....

Roadster

G

·
I've loved CZs for over 20 years.I shoot no other platform better.
After a 20 year hiatus from the 1911, I still like my CBOB, but do far better with my
CZ type guns. I also shoot somewhat well with Glocks, yet prefer a CZ.

A P7M8 is wonderful for most guys. I find that they feel/point awkward for me and heat up really fast. A+ for super cool looks and function. D- for ergonomics in my case.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts