Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what different accessories are available for pistols with rails. ???

I think I remember someone recently showing me a bayonet attachment. Apparently crooks have caught on to the fact that you can grab the slide of a Beretta a render it useless rather quickly. The bayonet is suppose to be a deterant. At least that's how it was explained to me.

Are there any other accesories like this?
Or are rails just mainly used for flashlights and lasers?
Just curious ....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Flashlights and lasers, mostly, but the truth is that the vast majority of us will let that rail ride naked.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I've used (good) lasers on pistols for a while. I wouldn't be without a laser on a carry/defense pistol now.

A while back I tried a Streamlight TLR-2 laser/light on a FN 5.7, the only pistol I have with a rail. It's the handiest thing going. Now a rail is high on my list of requirements when looking at new pistols.

Don't think I'd have a need for a bayonet though.
I wasn't too keen on using the bayonet on my M1 Grand many years ago.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
shooter,

I remember when the slide issue first surfaced. If I recall correctly various prison inmates were observed practicing the technique of snatching the slide off of a 92. I have seen the technique demonstrated in some police training videos as well. But it was my understanding that the factory came up with some type of internal mod that was designed to prevent that slide snatch. I remember they were offering a free factory mod to existing 92s, and building it into the productions units in response to that problem. But I have never owned a 92, so I don't have personal first hand knowledge if the mod really solved the issue or not.

I own a Sig P226R which is my first pistol with a rail. I do like being able to attach either a tactical light or light/laser. Sure beats trying to manage a flashlight with the modified two hand grip that can be require for low light situations. Or one hand shooting with your gun wrist over you flashlight wrist.

But using any flashlight with a weapon is a balancing act with good and bad points you have to weight, in my opinion. The biggest weakness to me, is the light makes it easier for the bad guy to sight on you, especially if used in continuous on mode.

Recently I came across a unique rail attachment that CZ-USA is now offering. It is a tactical mount designed to fit on pistols with tactical rails. This mount also incorporates a rail, so you could still attach a tactical light with it in place.

The mount comes with a knife blade which is removable. Without the knife blade, the unit can be used primarily in tactical situations as a control device with suspects. You can use the mount to quickly jab the bad guy in his head with the muzzle end of your pistol, to quickly gain compliance.

The mount provides some needed protection to your muzzle while using this specialized technique, which I see as a big plus. The person talking about it said it also helped to reduce muzzle climb during rapid fire as well.

I think it would be a very useful mount for tactical team members. But that is a very specialized technique, that puts most of us much closer to the bad guy that we need to be. So not something I would suggest most of us probably need for our pistols. But I took my hat off to CZ-USA when I saw the mount, because I saw it as a very specialized, but useful rail attachment.

twoguns

1 - 4 of 4 Posts