Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
here is a thing that came up...
was cleaning my new 9m HP yesterday while wearing 4 mil nitrile (surgical type) gloves to protect the skin from solvent, lead residue and etc.

after re-assembly went to rack the slide but with the combination of the gloves being just slightly oily, it was too slick and was not able to get enough grip to pull the slide back....

this got me thinking about the point made by others on this forum, about real world situations where you need your weapon the most, where hands could be wet, muddy, injured, cold or covered in gore.

Here is my question, in a SHTF situation can anyone offer practical ways to deal with this ?

(assume cocked and locked at all times is not an option)

thanks!
pm

·
Registered
28 Posts
pm,

Hold the BHP by the grip, place the bottom front of the slide (underneath the barrel, in axis with the recoil spring) on a solid surface (e.g., belt, boot edge, table edge, door frame, etc.), and shove until it stops. The slide will be retracted sufficiently to chamber the top round in the magazine. Good luck, sir.

P.S., works with 1911 GM's also.

Sincerely,

Michael

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Michael's method above is what is taught for one-handed cocking, but may not work if a full-length guide rod is involved, i.e. Glock, S&W, Ruger, Kimbers, etc.

Gripping the top of the slide with an overhand grip, thumb rearward, palm on top, and all four fingers on the outside, works best. The rearsight can actually act as a 'speedbump' preventing the hand from sliding off. At least, that is my experience and what I teach.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Overhand grip as adninftr suggested or the hard surface method Micheal suggested both work very well.

You can also cock the weapon on your belt of the edge of your pocket with some practice(I find a stiff leather belt works best). Bring the firearm to your side and place the rear sight ontop of the belt, then simply move the frame downward and let the rear sight retract the slide. Then once fully retracted release quickly, so as to slingshot the slide forward, giving you the best chance for a positive feed. It will take practice but it can be done.

-Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the ideas. tried them all out today and really liked hooking the rear site into the corner of my pocket. felt very positive, also muzzle was naturally pointed well away from myself while doing it.
Bottom front of the slide against a firm surface was even a bit easier provided an appropriate surface is available.
- pm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts