Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All!

I'm a college student, and for an assignment, I have to identify and research this cartridge. However, I need some assistance. I've searched the internet, and know it's a .357 Magnum R-P cartridge (this is according to the headstamp) with a length of 3.9cm, but I know nothing else about it. I think it's a lead bullet in a nickel casing (But I could be wrong). Can anyone help me out in identifying it?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
R-Pis Remington-Peters...looks like a round nosed lead 357 Magnum cartridge...

Bill

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Well, you can research the interesting history of the .357 Magnum cartridge, the history of the Remingtom-Peters Cartridge company. You could pull the bullet to determine its weight, the weight and type of powder charge, and whether it's a factory load or a reload. If you show us the base we might be able to tell if it has a factory primer or not.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The nickel plated case looks like a Remington Express. And nasty cases at that---paper thin! The bullet is rather odd looking---the 158 grains in Rem UMC .38 Spls are more conical, IIRC, and that coating looks like wax? very strange! Can you pull the bullet and see if it's got a gas check on the caboose end?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If the cartridge was mine, I would pull the bullet. However, I have to return it to my professor.

·
Registered
674 Posts
It could be the shadows in the photo, but the bullet seems to have quite a crimp on it, possibly because it is a very hot load(in which case I'd expect gas check) OR the bullet is sized for a 9mm (.356" IIRC) not .358" which is what a lead bullet for a .357/.38 Spl would be. Why not mike the diameter of the bullet and find out?

·
Premium Member
1,038 Posts
I'm pretty sure that is the R-P 158gr swaged lead bullet that was pretty much the standard load in the 1960s and into the 1970s...

They were pretty accurate... until they leaded your bore to the point it looked like an old sewer pipe... bullet was way too soft for magnum velocity.

FWIW

CHuck

·
Registered
1 Posts
R-Pis Remington-Peters...looks like a round nosed lead 357 Magnum cartridge...

Bill
Okay any idea when they were produced, I have some that were gifted to me. They once belonged to Jack Ray, Navy man I believe " Dangerous " witness it, I thought I could read him, not. Pretty sure he served in Korea.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts