Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Best way to avoid viruses, spyware, etc is to avoid Windows! Linux or a Mac are much easier to use than you think.

Having said that, here's some quick tips.

Do not use Internet Explorer. Download and install Firefox. Enjoy the lack of pop up ads. Annoying flashing ad? Right click and choose "Block images from this server." Firefox is a much better browser than Internet Explorer. The security problems with Internet Explorer alone aren't worth using it as the US gov't has recently advised. Internet Explorer doesn't have tabbed browsing either. How that works is say you're browsing this using Firefox and you'd like to read a post of Mr. Camp's but still have the main page up. Simply rightclick on the link you'd like to read and select "Open link in new tab." Voila, there will be 2 little tabs below the address bar for you to switch from. You can also open new blank tabs using the Control key and T.

As far as your computer running slow, chances are the computer is fine, it's crud that installed itself to run at startup. Click Start, Run, type msconfig and hit enter. Navigate to the "startup" tab and take a look. If you see stuff referring to MSN, Yahoo, Real, etc, these programs are running at startup, draining resouces whether you choose to or not. Unchecking the checkbox next to each offender will disable them from running at next startup.

Some programs to avoid: Real anything, Webshots, Weatherbug, Bonzibuddy.

Antivirus. If you're running Windows, you need it. I recommend . AVG antivirus which is completely free and works extremely well. Nuff' said.

I will continue to update this as I have time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Let me second the suggeston for Firefox as one's web browser. I've used it for a couple of months now and have had absolutely no problems at all. It's so effective in defeating annoying pop-up ads that I was able to delete a program designed specifically for that purpose. That program was an absolute necessity for navigating the Web with Internet Explorer. The tabbing features LL mentioned is also quite handy.

I'd also suggest installing the associated Thunderbird e-mail software. It is free, just like Firefox. Unlike Outlook Express, it doesn't allow a lot of e-mail viruses, trojans, etc. into your system. I personally prefer the way it looks on-screen as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hello
and thank you fellas for the info.i am a computer newbie. anything to make it easyer is welcome .i will order the book and cd for firefox .(i love manules)right now i am useing explorer as my browser and i have encounted problems in the past.thank you all once more .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sage advice here gentlemen. I have a CD pocket in my "geek" bag, within it holds 2 CDs. A Knoppix Live-CD for the serious business and my "unf*@) windows" CD. Firefox, Thunderbird, XPSP2, Spybot Search and Destroy, Adaware, and AVG. There's some other stuff on there as well.. WinSCP2, puTTy, etc etc.

All of that is likely irrelevant to this particular discussion, however Firefox, and Thunderbird are grade A applications. Both, in my opinion surpass everything else in their sector. As a straight graphical e-mail client, I don't believe you can beat Thunderbird. It handles all applicable protocols wonderfully, is lightweight, and about as safe as you can get with a featured graphical e-mail client. AVG is on every machine I've touched in the last few months, great Antivirus software, and a great price. I kicked Norton Antivirus to the curb in favor of AVG, and I used Norton in a corporate environment for years. It just works.

Granted, I don't have any windows machines polluting my AO right now, but I know many who do, those applications are standard deployment for any installing I do in the Windows world.

Anthony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What Anthony is talking about when he mentions "live cd" and "Knoppix" is a Linux operating system designed to boot your computer up and function solely from the the CD, not touching your hard drive, just using memory and processor. This osrt of thing is invauble for say, accessing files on a Windows computer that crashes and just emailing of moving said files somewhere else.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you're real interested in Knoppix, and it's extremely powerful features, O'Reilly Publishing has a book out, authored by a friend of mine titled Knoppix Hacks, it was just released, and has a wealth of information. I got a chance to use one of the hacks on a mission critical laptop during my JRTC rotation, and it saved my Brigade from a good deal of embarassment. I don't leave home without it now!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts