Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a an older Airweight J frame . I want to get rubber grips for it. Now the question is what is the difference between a straight butt and round butt J-Frame ?? This seems to be a factor in purchasing a set of grips. Thanks!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. The picture below is of an S&W Model 37, a J-frame, with the round butt. It is the shape of the grips shown. (Disregard the Tyler grip adapter in front of the grips.)

The round butt frame is of the same contour and shape as the grips shown in this picture.

I don't have a square butt J-frame to show you the difference. The square butt is a bit wider at the bottom than the round but they don't seem as pronounced in this regard as square butt K and N frames to me.

Hopefully, someone here might have a picture of a J-frame square butt revolver and post for you.

Best.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
(Edited: Argh, Steve beat me to it! :) )

I'm going to try to swipe a photo from Gil to illustrate (he's got the perfect photo).

Two J-frames: Round butt is on the left, square butt is on the right. :)

It's very likely that your J-frame is a round butt gun; square butt guns are somewhat unusual in that frame size (maybe 5-10% of total guns made).

(Thanks to Gil for providing the photo!
)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Get a set of Hogue Monogrips for your J-frame. For years I used the S&W banana grips on my Bodyguard. Then I got the Hogues.

A world of difference. I shot a box of 50 +p loads Monday. Absolutely no hand or wrist aches. The Monogrips also offer more grip length so your control will be better.

You can find them for about 16-20 bucks. Worth every penny and then some.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I, on the other hand, have no interest at all in making my concealable J-frames any less concealable by adding length to the gripframe.
;)

Accordingly, I'm a big fan of either the frame-sized factory wood stocks with the Tyler T-grip (as in Steve's photo) or the Hogue Bantam stocks.

It sure is great to live in a free country with so many choices! :)

·
Registered
103 Posts
Wow Erich
That really looks cool, I don't know how you did that but, I'm glad you were able to do it.

Gil...

By the way Mr. Camp excellent choice on grips for your new toy
I like how the red on black makes it look classy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a 640, because it can handle +p+ loads, as it was laser-engraved on the cylinder frame on the first run of these revolvers. So whether you carry +p+ handloads or +p .38spl factory loads, I think this platform is a good one, if a little heavy, cause it's stainless steel, which, IMHO, is a small price to pay for stopping a fight quicker than you would with lesser ammo. Just my 2 cents, JD45

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Guys, That really helped!!! My J frame has a square butt.

I was a little embarassed to ask that question on round and squared butt frames on the J-frame as I'm more of a 1911 and HP fan. I had this little airweight for a while and decided to make is my carrypiece as I just recieved my CCW. It has Ivory grips on it (yes real ivory) and althought it looks good it 's a little too slick to handle. What I really like about this J frame is I can carry it in my pocket without any problem.

I really like this site. Seems that Mr. Camp and I have the same taste in handguns. Keep up the good work!!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
I'm not crazy about rubber grips, especially for pocket guns. I like Eagle's Secret Service grips a lot for my J-frame. Don't know if they make 'em for square butts, though.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wasn't sure about the rubber grips either since I've carried the M49 for over 30 years with the original banana grips.

Someone suggested that the rubber wasn't as "grabby" as I had believed it would be so I took a chance and got the Monogrips.

They were correct. While the grips are slightly bigger in width and length, I've not had any problems in drawing from any of my usual places (all without holsters) from pants pockets, jacket pockets, tucked inside the waistband, etc.

The balance and handling are much improved for me. I have large, ham-fisted hands that tended to swallow the regular grips and leave the fourth and fifth fingers almost dangling. Not now, though.

I liked the Monogrips enough to have ordered several more for other handguns I regularly carry and/or shoot.

As Erich said, it's great to have choices.

Regards,

Steve

·
Registered
392 Posts
i have three J frames. all have the rubber "boot grip", i just need that to keep the grip as small as possible AND still let me keep a good hold on the lil' buggers when shooting.

but it appears that the rubber boot grip is no longer made by uncle mikes or anyone else.

that is a shame as i feel they were the best of both worlds regarding concealablity without stickyness feel and giving a controled hold.

for me, if a tyler t-grip were available any more, it would be about the best if coupled with the skinny wood stock grips for J frames. but last i looked, the t-grip was no longer made either and stock is dwindling.

·
Registered
76 Posts
[quote author=jerry board=
that is a shame as i feel they were the best of both worlds regarding concealablity without stickyness feel and giving a controled hold.

for me, if a tyler t-grip were available any more, it would be about the best if coupled with the skinny wood stock grips for J frames. but last i looked, the t-grip was no longer made either and stock is dwindling.[/quote]

jerry board:

Ah yes the Tyler T-grip is still in production in (I believe) Oklahoma City, Ok..

I ordered one last year.. Later I found a new, original T-T/grip on EBAY for my Centennial (pre-40).. I couldn't tell a noticeable difference between the old originals and the new production T-grips.

I love 'em, and I'm fond of Barami Hip Grips too.

Best Wishes,

JP

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Nice piece! Your 40 is a _lot_ nicer than mine, which is prolly a tradin as it has a mismatched cylinder and a crappy reblue.

Those 'high horned' grips are about the only stock J frame grips that feel good to me. Good thing, since they don't interchange with other J frame grips without a bit of surgery.

I hadn't heard that Uncle Mikes/Butler Creek had dropped the boot grips. I'll start grabbing them at shows.

Regards,

Pat

1 - 20 of 24 Posts