Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm fixing to start a reloading habit. Right now, I shoot about 5000 rds per year. It's kind of expensive, but I use the factory stuff.

(Ain't this polling feature great?)

Max

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well maybe it ain't so great. Or maybe i'm not so great.

Anyway the conditional function isn't working the way I imagined it would.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello. I shoot roughly half-and-half, factory vs reloads in .45 & 9mm. In other calibers, it's more like 95% reloads vs 5% factory, ie. 38 Super, .44 Spec, and .45 Colt.

Best.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Max,

I used to reload .38 spl., 9mm, .45 ACP, .223, and .357 magnums back in the early to mid 90's until I became a single parent and couldn't afford the materials or leave my equipment set-up with 2 preschoolers running around.

Now, I shoot factory ammo only, but I do miss the reloading as my kids have gotten older and less inquisitive.

You will have loads of fun with it!

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I screwed up my vote. I marked Factory, when I meant reload. I load probably 8,000-10,000 rounds per year and shoot maybe half to two-thirds of the total.

I don't load 9mm anymore, but I have a few rounds of reloads on hand, along with a small amount of factory ball, carrying ammo, etc. I'd say the total isn't more than 5,000 - 6,000 rounds.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I shoot mosty 9mm and it is cheaper to buy for me, $4.86/50 at Academy, buy it by the case. I do reload/handload for my 308, but strictly a target rifle.
Mikehp

·
Registered
637 Posts
I used to reload virtually all my ammunition, but I now shoot mostly 9mm and .22 LR., for which the cost of factory ammo is quite low, at least for the informal target/plinking loads. Besides, I'm getting old and rather spend my time at the range and not at the loading bench.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I srewed up the vote also. :-[

I use reloads instead of factory...5-10,000 per year.

Sorry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey, .45 and everybody. You didn't screw up the vote, I screwed up the ballot. This thing is full of hanging chads. Maybe I ought to move to Florida.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I shoot mainly reloads -- average around 1K/month. I don't load 9mm, it is so cheap and my time is better spent. Ditto 5.56 and .45 ACP. All three of these, fortunately, I have found ammo that functions reliably and with great accuracy in my weapons. So there is no advantage to handloading there. For the rest, handloading, you bet! I never enjoyed shooting so much as when I started "rolling my own." For the .41 mag, it's about the only way to go, ammo is scarce and pricey.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use reloads for practice, with a few carry rounds to make sure they function. I reload while the classical music is playing in the background. Around here I save, maybe, 1 to 2 cents a round. Not much, but I do enjoy reloading and it does keep me off the streets.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's hard to decipher the survey results since yours truly designed it malfunctionally.

One thing's apparent, though. We do have a lot of shooters here and a lot of reloaders. A third of those who responded shoot more than 5k per year, which qualifies as serious shooting I think.

Looks like three-quarters reload. I do too, now that I've got my Dillon up and running.

Max

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
15 to 30 years ago my mix was about 95% handloads vs 5% factory but I got too busy to reload in large quantities and the proportions flipped for the weapons I shoot the most (.45, 9mm and .223). For hunting it is still handloads but there are not nearly as many of those as I would like :-[

Fortunately my business is a gun business and ammo is an expense at least.

Jim

·
Registered
354 Posts
Since I no longer actively compete I only shoot 12,000 rds. yearly (avg.). To me, load development & reloading are half the fun. (Well, maybe 30%)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most start reloading to save money so they can shoot more. You shoot more so you have to buy more stuffto make more bullets, then you get to shoot more and buy more stuff to make bullets so you can so more....it never ends..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've got two kids in college so the only way to afford my habit is to reload everything as cheaply as possible, including 9mm. I shoot about 8-10K per year, not including 10K or so of .22 pistol for extra cheap shooting. Fortunately I'm able to shoot twice a week, I take a long lunch on Thursdays and head out to the range for an hour or so, then back on Sundays for more quality time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts