Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy
If in wrong forum, sorry.

For a 25 yrd sight-in to really see where it shoots what method does everyone use for an auto pistol that does not effect POI "unnatuarally"?

Obviously you would not rest the dust cover on a hard surface w/o expecting some adverse effects, but would resting the trigger guard and butt on sandbags unnaturally effect POI at 25 yrds?

What methods does everyone use ?

G

·
The sand bags will work to some degree and is cost effective. To really gat an accurate determination takes a Randal machine rest, it takes the human factor out of the equation. Best for most people is to see how it shoots for them as they will normally use it.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Howdy
If in wrong forum, sorry.

For a 25 yrd sight-in to really see where it shoots what method does everyone use for an auto pistol that does not effect POI "unnatuarally"?

Obviously you would not rest the dust cover on a hard surface w/o expecting some adverse effects, but would resting the trigger guard and butt on sandbags unnaturally effect POI at 25 yrds?

What methods does everyone use ?
For zeroing defense guns (which are not used for other tasks) I usually just shoot standing with two hands or shoot kneeling.

In a pistol the weapon starts recoiling before the bullet leaves the barrel (note that long barreled revolvers have taller front sights than short barrelled ones in the same caliber). So how you hold the pistol makes a difference.

If I need a really precise zero (say for a hunting gun or one that does double duty) I will either zero it from roll over prone or I will sit down with my back against something solid (like a truck wheel) and rest my hands between my knees.

Sand bags will do but take care that you hold the gun with the same pressure you do when shooting wihtout them. A Ransom rest might do if it resists recoil exactly the same as your grip. However, we found a long time ago a really good shot shoots an auto pistol (especially a duty type weapon as opposed to one with a fitted slide/frame ) better than a Ransom Rest (because the barrel and slide are more tightly locked than the barrel and frame which is locked in the rest).

BTW, my hunting and double duty handguns are not zeroed at 25, they are zeroed at 75 for Iron sighted guns (unless we are talking TC contenders in centerfire rifle calibers).

Onward,
Jim

1 - 3 of 3 Posts