Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner

Proper disposal of old ammo

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Guest 
G
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've recently discovered some shotgun shells that have been in storage for over six years. I don't dare shoot the stuff. What is the proper and safe method of disposing of old ammo?

Thanks,

Kent

G
#4 ·
They had been left in a storage unit along with some other items when we last moved. We just recently had the unit emptied and brought the items to our current location.

They were exposed to temps ranging from the 100s in the summer to freezing in the winter.

Upon closer inspection, some of the shells do show signs of corrosion, the others look OK.

Kent

#5 ·
I've just cut them open and dumped the shot and powder out. Tossed the empty shell on the dump, but that was when I lived out in the country and we had a "dump". The environment hadn't been invented back then, you see. Every house had a "dump" out back.

I suppose you could give the primers a shot of WD-40. That should take care of them.

#6 ·
Mr. Frazier,

1) Cut the hulls open, 2) dump the shot- save it for a reloader if you don't reload yourself, or sell it here, 3) recycle plastic wads, 4) dump the gunpowder on the flowers (fertilizer), 5) pop the primers in a shotgun.

Personally I would shoot them. I very much doubt they're dangerous. Just watch for hangfires and misfires.

Josh <><

#7 ·
I wouldn't think it would hurt to fire them either. I've fired some crummy looking shotgun shells over the years. I've always understood the "brass" on a shotgun shell doesn't provide any strength anyway, it's there only to give the extractor something to grab hold to, and because people expect to see it. There was a brand of ammo made years ago, and it might be still for all I know that didn't have any brass at all. Advanta? Something like that.

When I was a kid, shotgun shell were made of paper, and if they got wet they'd swell up and couldn't be chambered. We'd get hold to them, cut them up, toss the shot, and make a pile of the powder, and toss in a match. Hey, we were dumb kids. :) It's a wonder we didn't get "killed to death" as my mother used to say.

#8 ·
There was a brand of ammo made years ago, and it might be still for all I know that didn't have any brass at all. Advanta? Something like that.
Activ was the name of this stuff. They made my all-time favorite slugs for deer hunting and defense. They're now out of business. I can still get the ammo, but it's expensive, old, and I would rely on in for defense. I figure Foster and Brenneke work well enough.

Josh <><

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.