Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, you folks may have noticed that I've been taking a hiatus from posting around here. It's mostly due to some stress I'm under that had begun affecting my behavior towards others on message boards in general. It's not over, yet. I'm just doing this one thread to make an update on a situation that a few of you are aware of, and then I'll be gone again, at least until some situations that I'm in have cleared up.

At any rate, I had said, on this board, how my fiance was terrified of guns, because of an incident where she had been held at gunpoint. Well, four days ago, we were down visiting my parents. I had to go to Wal-Mart, and while I was there, I bought one of the middle-of-the-road Daisy air rifles, like the one I used to have when I was a kid.

When I got back home, it was late, so I just made it a point to save any empty soda cans that I saw laying around, for the next day. Early the next afternoon, we shambled down the hillside, and got down inside the old gully where I used to shoot at cans and whatnot. I've told her the four rules of firearms safety several times in the past, and when I went to repeat them to her, again, she stopped me, and repeated them on her own.

"Good enough," I thought.

Well, we started at about ten feet from one of the three Mountain Dew cans I'd brought down. I told her to focus on the front sight, and just let it line itself up, and to squeeze the trigger, rather than pull, etc.

she was hitting in the general vicinity, but always missing by a couple of inches. I took the gun, and fired it at the can, to determine if there was a sighting problem. Nothing wrong, there, so I gave it back to her. She still couldn't hit, so I tried watching her finger on the trigger.

Bingo. She was jerking it. With the light little BB gun, that was a real problem. I took the gun, again, and told her to watch how i pulled the trigger. The Daisies have an extra-long trigger stroke, as a safety feature, (think DA revolver) so by going extra slow, I got the point across of what was meant by "squeeze the trigger."

I gave her the gun back, and she hit the can with her next shot. "Do it right every time," I said, "and pretty soon, you'll do it right every time, quickly."

Well she got five shots in a row, and I told her to step back. Five shots in a row, again, and she stepped back, again. We kept this up until she was consistently hitting the can from about twenty-five yards, which was as far back as we could get without the fat fiber-optic front sight completely obscuring the target. I had wondered, beforehand, whether she would enjoy shooting, at all. My fears were quickly abated however, as every time the can fell over, she would quickly make the following demand: "Now, go set it back up."

At this point, she started to complain that her hand was hurting from pumping the little hunk of plastic. I explained to her that with a .22, she wouldn't have to do that.

It wasn't long until I was upstairs, digging out the first real gun that I, myself, had ever fired: My father's (very) low serial Remington Speedmaster .22.

In regards to this new gun, we had the following conversation, which I found imminently amusing.

Her: This one feels better.
Me: That's because it's a real gun.

Her: The sights line up better, too.

Her: It looks a lot nicer than the other one, too.

At any rate, we were back down the hill soon, ear plugs and shooting glasses in place, and she was back to murdering Mountain Dew cans. I think she must have fired about two hundred rounds of ammunition, all total.

I am pleased to report that she is very gun safe, always keeping her finger well away from the trigger until she's ready to fire, and never sweeping me with the muzzle, even once.

She's also a good shot. She literally hit the cans so many times that what finally forced us to go inside was not fatigue, but the fact that even shots that would have normally hit the targets were going through the gargantuan holes in them with no effect.

She's apparently proud of herself, by the way. She posted pictures of her aluminum victims on some websites she frequents.

Next time, it'll be phase two: Airsoft pistol followed by Browning Buckmark.

Then comes the final phase of my insidious plot: 9mm FN Hi-Power.

She'll be doomed!!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Chubby,

I am really grinning reading how well things seem to be going for her right now. I wish you both luck as things progress.

It sounds like at some point she will realize she has found 2 keepers - your HP and that guy I better hold onto who used to own it (grinning).

Two suggestions: (1) start looking for another HP now, so you won't be upset when she declares your current one as being "hers" now. (2) If you don't already reload, you might well want to start, lol.

I created a "monster" with my last "ex". I could not load enough ammo to keep up with the amounts she wanted to shoot, and I was using a very fast progressive.

Good luck. When life calms down a bit for you sir, how about another update on how things have progressed with her shooting efforts.

Take care,

twoguns

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, that's the beauty of it, twoguns. I don't even own a Hi-power, right now. I used to, but i had to get rid of it because of mechanical difficulties that could not be resolved short of a new frame. I shoot a CZ-75B. I'm getting the BHP entirely for her use. It will be "her gun," and as such, she'll become rabidly attached to it, and consequently rabidly pro-gun, spreading the love all around circles that most men don't travel.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, it gets better, Mr. Camp. Last night, she consented to getting a CCW, then poking around in a gun store some time, and finding a gun for herself.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Chubbypigeon,

I'm ginning from ear to ear. Apparently kids are much the same if you can show them some good clean firearms "fun".
Got my grandson, age 7, a Daisy "Red Ryder" for Xmas. He's learned the four rules of safety, displays very good gun handling skills, and is VERY aware and attentive about safety. Grandpa is pleased.
SOOOO, I turned him loose with the original Ruger Bearcat my dad bought me as a kid. He loves it! Good thing .22 ammo is cheap...;-)

Wes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No kidding, about the .22 ammo, weshowe. She's burned over 500 rounds of the stuff, since she started shooting!

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Chubby,

I am really glad to hear your girlfriend is enjoying shooting so much right now. Even if she never elects to carry one, just the pleasure shooting will give her will always be something you two can enjoy together, even if 22s.

You folks are bringing back some memories for me now too. The only time I can remember seeing my mother ever shoot a firearm, was a 22 bolt action out in our backyard when I was in my early teens - so decades ago. We got bored, sat a log on the ground and shot huckleberries off the top of the log. I was surprised at how quickly my mom took to shooting her first weapon - Annie Oakley in the making.

Glad to hear it is going so well right now Chubby.

twoguns

·
Registered
399 Posts
Good on you Chubby for bringing another shooter into the ranks. I think women pick up on shooting so fast because they don't have that macho image that a lot of men do. I know my wife took to it like a duck to water once she got going.
I hope everything works out OK for you and keep that young lady shooting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts