Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm back in the Makarov business again. I just traded into a pristine Russian military Mak from '86 (Can you imagine? Reagan was president when this thing was made by the enemies of freedom and capitalism in the Soviet Union!).

The Mak came in box with the two grips, the holster with cleaning rod (same date as gun), and an extra mag.

The Russian MILITARY Maks are pretty rare. More rare than the East German one that I foolishly got rid of about ten years ago because "I didn't need it." There were quite a few commercial Russian Maks that came in under the trade name "Baikal." The rarest of the Russkis are the military Maks without import markings - those are going for $595 nowadays. The one that I have came in with a bunch of Bulgarians, so it has importer marks.

In terms of quality of fitting, the Russians are regarded as being second to the East Germans. The Bulgarians come after that. The Chinese guns - which were all over the place and cheap as dirt in '89 or '90 - are now considered "rare" and command a premium, now going for around $349, just like the East Germans. The difference is that the Chinese guns are more dubious in fit and finish - really rough, actually.

Anyway, here it is :) :

This one's a keeper - it's just too rare to let go.

It's in essentially new condition. It has a stiff trigger that would no doubt lighten up with use (they do). I'm just not sure that this beautiful piece really needs to get shot - it almost certainly shouldn't get carried.

I took this one to show the difference in the finish quality between the Sovs and the EGs - you can see in the arc-lamp NM sun how the finish has some storage damage. I've not seen this on an EG (which generally have a bit more of a brown tone to the finish, IMO).

·
Registered
198 Posts
Beautiful! Much prettier than my Mak. (Of course, mine's a Bulgie, so it's to be expected.) You definitely have to shoot it at least once.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Twist my arm . . . ! ;)

Thanks for the compliment. I've never seen a Bulgie that didn't run like a stopwatch, though.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Very good looking pistol you got there Mr Erich. I do beleive I would keep that one for show and tell. Love them guns that have history to them. Thanks for sharing.

Best Baldy..

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hello Erich,

Congradulations on your latest aquisition! A very rare and desirable Russian Makarov is in your possession!

Erich, I don't know how you find all of these nice handguns! You truly have a very discrimating eye for fine firearms and a very enviable collection!

You have one very fine handgun there dear Komrade!

Please let us know how it shoots!

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
<Dang it! This board won't show Cyrillic characters, and I went to all the trouble to type out "Thank you very much!" in Russian Cyrillic!>

Hopefully, I'll get to shoot it tomorrow - thanks again for the kind words, friends.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, the Mak's trigger does not compare favorably right after shooting my P232!
Even the Mak's SA is long and spongy.

That said, the gun proved capable of one-hole, small groups - when benched. Off-hand, the groups were about the size of a small apple at 10 yards. The first DA shot definitely opened the groups up (oddly, this is not an issue with the P 232 - SIGArms puts a pretty nice trigger on their guns) despite my attempts at holding things together.

I shot three different types of ammo (range 63

·
Registered
645 Posts
erich,

Very nice Russina military, thanks for sharing the photo's and range report, I have a Bulgie and E.G, had a Russian, but it was the Baikal import as you mentioned, but a nice pistol to shoot, but sold it to get something I had to have at the time. I agree with your statement of quality and fitting rankings. I do like shooting the Mak's as well as the P-64, which is more accurate in my hands than the either of my Makarov's, but I still love my Mak's.

papabear

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you, sir! I can't believe how comfy they are, too. I'm a lefty, so the factory stocks hurt my palm with the lanyard loop. These new ones feel like a well-used bar of soap, and they point the gun pretty near perfectly for me.

I really like this silly little gun. :)

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Erich,

Congradulations on finding a nice looking lady sir. I have to agree with Mr. Steve, those grips really spruce her up nicely. Gorgeous and fuctional, since they fit your southpaw even better too.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you, sir! I had to take it out of the safe to look at it again when I got home tonight. Man, I might have to start carrying this thing . . . :-/

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice. He seems like a great guy, too. He was certainly great to do business with. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts