Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

Now with one handgun off to S&W (65-5) to be refurbished, I am now getting an itch to buy a S&W Model 60 early production stainless steel snubby that is sitting at the gun dealer in NRA "good" condition for $295.00/+ tax. It is a no-dash revolver with pinned barrel.

Here is a representative picture from J&G Wholesale:

Is it a good deal or should I pass?

I may be able to wait until the end of the month when they "the dealer" starts to get a little more desperate to top off their end of month sales. ;)

It is a roll of the dice....as to whether it will be there or not. ???

Chris

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I don't think it's too far off the mark if you really want a 60. Remember that the no lock guns aren't going to be made anymore, and the current crop are overpowered (.357 Magnum). I kind of like my M60, but I don't carry it. It does make a very nice little quick walk to the backyard gun, though, and I intend to hold on to it.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Leland,

Thank you.

Here is a picture in its "current" condition.

The ones I am seeing on www.gunbroker.com are going for about $350.00 and up.

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Hi Chris,

Not too pretty! I think that would nevertheless fly out the door here in NM for $295.00. (Around here, $350-375 would be the standard price for a gun that was in a bit prettier shape than that. Don't let me start bemoaning how I traded off the NYPD-1 refurb Model 60 that I bought for $225 . . . . :-[ )

That said, if it's tight, there's no reason not to make an offer. You can get it sandblasted to better-than-new appearance for $25-40.00, and there's not a thing wrong with a stainless Chiefs Special!

If the lock-up and timing aren't right, though, I'd take a pass. It's fairly easy to have fixed, but how much $ do you want to put into this piece?

Pretty exciting find, though - I hope the lock-up and timing are good and tight.

cheers, erich

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Erich,

Its been sitting in the display case since Christmas and sales are getting "heated up" at the store with everyone spending their tax refund before they get it! I have handled it at least a dozen times and so I bought it yesterday for $265.00/+tax!

It looks rougher in the photo than it actually cleaned up to be. I suspect that it was someone's "boat" gun judging by the condition! The action is tight and reminds me of a new and unfired gun. There were no obvious burn rings on the front of the cylinder!

Pieces of the grip flaked off when I took them off for cleaning, but all of the screw heads are clean--so I imagine that it was subjected to a salt water environment and yes there was surface rust under the grips.

Similiar ones are fetching about $360-$395 through J&G Wholesale ads on
www.gunsamerica.com and so I thought it was a pretty good deal.

I cleaned and re-lubed it pretty good and now need to find some decent grips for it. It will become my truck gun and I can put it in the center console case pretty easily! It is a nice deal and I think I am going to see what else I want to do with it after shooting it!

But, its a prelock "R" serial numbered J-frame. The production date according to the Standard Catalog is about mid-1969. I really like it!

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Wow, since it's tight that $265 you spent was a steal. Congrats!

Forum member Gil turned me onto some info that may be of use to you: instead of paying $60+ to a gunsmith to sandblast a scratched stainless gun to custom/new appearance, you can drop from a quarter to half of that at a place that rebuilds starter motors. I taped my worn 940 up before I brought it to be 'blasted (and, IIRC, I paid $25), and had it back in my hand in an hour - versus the six weeks that the local gunsmith had quoted me. What an improvement in appearance! (I traded it off, though, so I can't post a photo - sorry. :-[ )

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I had a .45 blasted at the local alternator shop several years ago, and they charged me five dollars.

Yes, that's (5) dollars.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi there,

Great idea!

It really did clean up better than the photo suggests, but I need to dig out a decent set of grips to put on it. I really need to find some original J-frame grips to trade out on it.

I flitzed it with steel wool last night and it really does look a little better than the photo suggests.

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Chris, if you want them, I've got some J-frame stocks that might work for you. The brand-new Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek rubber concealment grips that came on my 37-2 from S&W are sitting in the garage along with a nice used set of Pachmayr Compacs. The Compacs have an enclosed backstrap, are longer, and fill the hand better, but are perhaps a little bulkier to conceal. The S&W Butler Creeks are basically a rubber version of the Craig Spegel boot grip.

Drop me a PM if you're interested, and I can put them in the mail tomorrow. They've been waiting in the garage for a friend who needs them.

(Black rubber looks good on stainless steel! :) )

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi there Erich,

PM sent. You are truly a gentleman and good friend!

Thank you so much,

Chris

G

·
Wow, Leland, that's an positively shocking price!

For some reason, I've been thinking about getting a 3-inch .357. Don't need it, just like the way it feels in the hand. I'm not a fan of .357, though. And if it is harsh, as you say, maybe I'll think about something else.

Max

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Max,

I aquired a Model 65-5 3" K- frame 2 weeks ago. It is about the smallest revolver that I would consider for the .357 magnum load. Any thing smaller would be too "harsh" for me in your terms.

By the way, I was in the shop yesterday and the regular sales guy just got back from the Shot Show in Las Vegas. He told me that two other of his regular customer's came in yesterday to look at the M-60 as they had decided to buy it! My timing was right!

The next picture I post will show the M-60 cleaned up! I need to go to NAPA and see if they have any scotch brite pads!

Chris

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hi there,

I hate to double dip, but I was excited to get a set of new grips on my M-60 graciously given to me by Erich of this forum. The picture does not do justice to the grips or the judicious amount of time I have spent polishing the old revolver up.

I believe this one is going to be a favorite of mine for some time. I am heading to the indoor range tonite for a little fun with my new/old gun!

Chris

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi there Erich,

It shot better than I could possibly wish! The grips were a tremendous help in rapid fire shooting.

I went to the range last night and shot about 150 rounds of Winchester White Box and Remington UMC 130 grain FMC ammo through it to test for function and accuracy. At 10 yards, I had no problem keeping the majority of shots in the center mass of the target.

The action felt similiar compared to other brand new J-frames in the range/store display case. There was no cylinder binding and the ejection was of course short due to the short ejection rod. Targeting with the sights was more difficult than my M-642 due to the narrower front sight. Once I became accustomed to the sights, I could shoot with a relative degree of finer accuracy.

As an aside, I went to the range with two coworkers that had just purchased Traditions .44 caliber black powder revolvers. Both were 1861 Army replicas. I spent a considerable amount of time teaching and helping them to load and shoot their brand new pistols. I had an opportunity to shoot them several times and they were a lot of fun, but I also had to stop on a number of occasions and help them when they misfires and jambed cylinders from spent percussion caps. But, what a lot of fun to shoot!

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
I'm very glad to hear that, and I applaud your dedication in firing 150 rounds from a J-frame (I've done it a few times, and it's always taken a bit out of me). Interesting that you were able to get more precise results once you got used to the narrower front sight. I've always liked narrow front sights for that reason, but then I'm fortunate to have good eyes.

Black powder pistols at the indoor range!
Cough, cough! ;)

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Erich,

Black powder pistols at the indoor range! Cough, cough!
They were a crowd pleaser for sure!!!!

Everyone just about stopped shooting on the line for the noise, smoke and sparks!!!

It was pretty cool. By the way, they were extremely accurate with Pyrodex Pellet Loads!

In any event, to match the new grips, I am now carrying my M-60 in a DeSantis Nemesis Pocket Holster made for S&W J-frames.

(I actually forgot I had it in the bottom of my holster box! :-/)

Chris

G

·
I can't tell from the picture. Is the gun stainless? The 60, of course, was the first stainless da revolver. But your looks like it might be blue.

My fantasies about a 3-inch version of this gun, okay for .357, came about from thinking of it as a companion for my also fantasy Marlin in .38/.357.

Gld you're having so much fun with it.

Max

·
Registered
103 Posts
Very nice looking piece Chris
Good job on cleaning it up , Its amazing what a little
elbow grease will get ya. (not to mention nice grips)
I like the feel of a J frame S&W in the hands.
Gil...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts