Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you or your SO were pregnant (knowing what you know now), what would you do the same or differently relating to guns. I'd rather get some perspective and advice from the members here before I ask a potentially anti OB/GYN.

Noise, Lead, Shooting Sports
Would you consider the noise or potential for lead ingestion too risky for the baby?
Would you keep shooting, but make modifications?
Would you leave things as they are?
Would you put a hold on more active shooting sports like IDPA or hunting, or just make modifications?

Defense and the Pregnant Woman
What modifications, if any, would you expect to make to your carry mode?
Would your team-fighting tactics (with your spouse, for example) change?
What modifications, if any, would you expect to make to your home defense plan?

What I Wish I'd Thought Of
What shooting or defense related change did you wish you'd thought of before discovering that junior was on her way?

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello & Here ya go, www.handgunlaw.us it's not too far down on the left side.

Hope This Helps & Take Care.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Shoting while pregnant, particularly on an indoor range is not a good idea.
Two of the reasons are airborne lead and the shockwave. Remember the placenta is basically a liquid filled sack. liquid does not compress, and the shock wave is transmitted to the fetus AKA UNBORN CHILD.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Being a guy and not having to face the situation, it's easy for me to say, but- I would not shoot anything, were I a pregnant woman.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is the view of a Large L.E. agency in Texas:

Pregnant officers are not allowed on a live range at all. During pregnancy, they are granted a blanket medical exemption from both agency and state qualification requirements.

Our medical staff feels that the risk to the fetus caused by lead, shockwaves and noise (the baby can hear in the womb, and there are no in-utero earmuffs that I know of) is way too great to allow such activity.

So, in summary, stay off the range.

for carry mode, we see alot of shoulder holsters with the materity dress.

As far as changes when Junior arrives, get a BIG safe ( basically all of your firearms related gear will need to be locked up. additionally, get one of those childproof single pistol safes and hard mount it in your bedroom for any weapon which is not in the the big safe.

They get into absolutely erything from 1 1/2 to 4 yrs old.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there Olivia,

First, a warm welcome to the forum! I was away on vacation when you came on board!

I can only recount my first hand experiences as a form of reply.

The same question came up 17 years ago when I wanted to take my wife shooting who was in her 1st trimester of pregnancy. We asked our OB and recieved his blessing for a limited amount of shooting at an outdoor range with her as a spectator.

From a medical stand point, only the OB can give their opinion.

Our OB was a pretty neat guy who used to come into the back door of his office dressed in his "hunting togs" and I used to run into him at the Shooting Range from time to time. He was definately pro gun and we used to spend part of our "consultation" time in his office talking about firearms, hunting and ect.

Not to get too far off subject, I also became a single parent when my boys were 5 and 7 and this brought about big changes in my shooting activities and habits. Reloading ammunition went straight out the window and I had to keep everything under lock and key. No more self defense firearms left loaded around the house.

Eventually, I taught both boys to shoot and bought them their own .22's at 12 years old and 13 years old respectively. Now I could, if I wanted and have, leave a loaded .45 on the kitchen table and they wouldn't give it a second glance. Their curiousity of firearms has long been satisfied. Prior to that, I kept both handguns/unloaded and ammunition loaded in magazines in places where only I could access them well out of their line of sight and reach.

I hope that in some small way this is helpful.

Chris

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Um, well there's something to be said for marksmanship practice with a pellet gun in the meantime? It may not be as much fun as plinking with a .22 or bigger, but it should be safe for all concerned.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts