Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A long winded discussion at a gun show this weekend regarding whether to carry a pocket sized firearm in the strong hand or weak hand pocket. Which would you do and why?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

Strong side pocket carry. S&W 642 in a Galco Horsehide holster.

The reason. No reason not to carry strong side in side the pocket.

Chris

·
Registered
430 Posts
Both.

Strong side pocket carry makes sense if you're carrying only one handgun and it's in your pocket. If however you're carrying another handgun and packing a pocket pistol as a backup, it makes more sense for your backup to be on your weakside. This will give you access to two handguns, one for each hand. Remember to practice drawing from both sides with both hands! I know it's akward, but it must be practiced.

-Rob

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The reason I pose the question...A police trainer I know contends that you should carry the BUG in the weak hand pocket even when you are not carrying a primary gun on your strong hand side. He says this reinforces muscle memory through consistency and the mind and body will know where it is when the stuff hits the fan because it's always in the same place.

·
Registered
645 Posts
But what if your primary carry or CCW is cross draw, you could still carry the BUG in strong side pocket, IMO its what ever you practice/train and get use to. just My $.02 worth. Why do I only carry two pistols, because three would be to cumbersome!

papabear

G

·
I carry my 642 (to back up my G27) in my weak side front pocket. My reasoning is that my strong hand/arm might be injured during an armed confrontation. I practice one hand weakhand shooting with my li'l Smith.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Weak side. As Enid said, the strong hand is probably going to be engaged. You will instinctively use it to fend off a blow, push an assailant away, or even trying to retain a primary weapon. It could even be injured.

Weak side also allows you to carry keys, change etc. in your strong side pocket where it normally would be. That keeps things out of the way and pocket carry less conspicuous.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I now carry more guns than hands, but I didn't always. At first, I carried the BUG on the strong side because it might be the only gun I had, but I eventually switched to carrrying on the weak side all the time.
Moving it from side to side depending on whether I had a real gun or not never appealed to me. For the reasons you mentioned Willow, I wanted it in the same place all the time regardless.
In other words, if one gun was designated as the "always gun", I wanted it to always be there, and always in the same place.

I now carry one in each front pocket, in addition to the regular gun, so I can reach something. But then, as a stay-home Dad, I have trouble keeping ANY hand free when I'm out and about, so I try hard to have guns, backup guns, and reloads available to either or both hands at all times.

·
Registered
649 Posts
For whatever relevancy it has to the thread... I carry my P32 in my strongside rear pocket... whether I am carrying my Glock or Taurus 9mm's or not.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Ok, I have never had a big problem being an odd ball, lol. If I was only going to carry one small weapon, like when I was working undercover, I carried it in the small of my back. I learned the tricks to conceal it and not let it print. My logic for that was I could still draw it with either hand if things suddenly went south, and a bad guy was grabbing one arm or the other. It just gave me a fuller range of responses.

But I made myself practice my draw until I could do it smoothly with both hands, and shoot with both hands. Weak side shooting is something I think ever cc shooter should practice. Once you have taken a round somewhere in your strong arm or shoulder is not the time to be thinking...now how do I do this. It should be as automatic a transition as possible.

Of course, I will admit being shot is more that a bit distracting - so that is why it really is crucial to be able to transition easily to either hand.

Even today I sometimes opt for my backup going in the small of my back, if it is not on my ankle.

Just something to think about. But however you choose to carry, I fully agree the key is to be consistent day to day. We are creatures of habit. What we do in training is what we will do in real life. So train like it is real, because it is.

Shoot often and seriously.

twoguns

1 - 11 of 11 Posts