Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this some time ago in a pawn shop and as you can tell somebody parkerized it so value is not there but am curious as to when it was made. Not allot of information as serial number pre-dates Browning's serial number website. Thanks for your help in advance and please advise if I'm not following the proper procedures for such an inquiry.

Wood Line Trigger Material property Automotive exterior
Wood Font Rectangle Hardwood Wood stain

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hello and welcome!

You have come to one of the several right places.

The * W mark indicates the Controller of Proof was Wolfs Nicolas who used that mark from 1952-1968. The internal extractor was eliminated in 1962, the scallop/thumbprint on the right side/front of the slide was eliminated in 1960ish. Yours would then possibly be from 1952-1962.

The serial number does not help all that much. I have a 1950 model with a serial number of 28,9XX. I have photos of a pistol from another enthusiast with SN 56,6XX. It has a date code for 1952 located on the front of the trigger guard on the right side which is the numeral 2 in a partial box. This type of mark may also be found on other parts (barrel, inside the slide, frame under grips, firing pin retention plate, etc) and each may be from a different quarter or year. The number is the year it was stamped/inspected and the partial box configuration indicates the quarter of that year. See the chart attached...

If you can show us full pics of both sides of the pistol, plus closeups of other possible "date code" marks, that would help.

-I will add a closeup of my 1950 "frame" date code. It appears that in 1950 the code was stamped on the left side of the front of the trigger guard, upside down. By 1952 it seems to have moved to right side up on the right side.

-Also added is a photo of a page from a book with typical date codes for post war production up through the early '60s.

Please show us more pictures for our continued education!

Cheers,

Tim

Yellow circle is the date code, upside down and on the left in 1950. This configuration of the partial box indicates 4th quarter.
Green circles are Controller of Proof mark on slide and frame.
Eyewear Material property Font Personal protective equipment Audio equipment

Font Number Parallel Pattern Symmetry

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I hope the additional pics help, also gun functions well I have put about 50 rounds through it with no issues. After further review and seeing date stamp on barrel am I correct that it was built in 1952? Also what would a hi power like this be worth in todays market, just curious as to what these things go for nowadays. I paid $350 about 10 years ago from a pawn shop so I hope I didn't get burned to bad, lol. Thanks again for the help all!

Dennis
Rectangle Wood Gun accessory Everyday carry Gun barrel
Rectangle Wood Gun accessory Everyday carry Gun barrel
Automotive exterior Wood Bumper Sleeve Electric blue
Sports equipment Ball Golf equipment Material property Font
Wood Door Household hardware Brick Font
Wood Rectangle Font Household hardware Writing implement

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Dennis,

I agree, it seems to be a 1952 pistol.

When buying, less is always better. I think you did alright for a functioning old pistol. The market today is crazy with many folks paying far too much. Last summer i accidentally bought one on Gun Broker - a nice '82 Alloy Frame for $465. The bidding ended over the Memorial Day weekend and I think its listing just got lost. I put in a bid of $500 thinking I would be quickly out bid.

I paid $600 for my 1950 in a private transaction late in 2019. It had some surface rust, the trigger pin was inserted incorrectly and it had the thickest aftermarket grips I have ever seen. after cleaning I sent it off to BHSS to be looked over (because of the trigger pin issue) and optimized, adding SFS and some other more modern parts. She looks pretty nice and is a great shooter, like new. I almost had new sights added, but figured I could always restore her to original condition if I didn't. I archived all the original parts.

So... you have a 70 year old gun. There are parts in there that are not designed to last that long and still function properly. All of the springs, including/especially the sear spring, should be replaced. You should read up on the High Power and learn to do the work yourself, or find a gunsmith who really understands the High Power to do the work for you. Properly maintained, she will outlast you and always run like new!

BH Spring Solutions has a wealth of High Power info and videos, as well as a great service dept and parts.

Cheers,

Tim

1950 BHP
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Everyday carry

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

The pistol on top is a mismatched 1976 Alloy Frame High Power completely redone by BHSS. She is waiting for a shortened Detective slide, which I have yet to find.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the information Tim! I will research the maintenance I need to do to get the old girl in shape to shoot again. It will be fun to learn and get it back to functioning order. I really appreciate your time and expertise and will be sure to follow up, thanks again.

Sua Sponte,

Dennis

1 - 6 of 6 Posts