Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
I will admit, I am not a Sigma fan and could never warm up to them. Yet I do not bash any firearm someone purchases. When they came out in the early 90's the gun shop I moonlighed at in Wisconsin we sold a ton of them. Honestly I don't remember them coming back to be sent back to the factory for repairs. They worked and thats all that counted to the buyer.

If they were such a "boat anchor" S&W would of dropped them years ago from there line. If memory serves me correctly, S&W in the last year or so had a large government contract for 1000's to be sent to Afghanistan for there Police Forces. Says something for the Sigma.....

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
gerbilwarrior,

My wife wanted a Sigma 9mm a number of years ago. Loves it. Interestingly, it had one stoppage in the first five rounds and zero since then. Some folk don't like them, but they seem to work...

Wes

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
"Works" covers a lot of esthetic sins. More than I can say for the majority of the Prancing Ponys I have owned.

Enjoy!

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy sir,

Glad you like your new Sigma. When you have the chance, please let us know what you think of it after a range session.

I have never owned one, simply because it reminds me too much of a Glock, which I honestly have never cared for. My agency was carrying Smith autos at the time, and I attended the S&W auto armorer school, just about the time they had released the Sigma. We spent a day working on the Sigmas in class because of that.

We were good naturedly giving the instructor a hard time, claiming it was just a knock-off of the Glock. He responded while there were some similarities, they were some major differences too. My roomie for the course carried a Glock as his duty weapon, although his department issued Smiths. During lunch he got his Glock out of his trunk.

As soon as class started from the lunch break, in front of the instructor who was already turning red - he handed me his Glock slide, and I handed him my Sigma slide. We mated both parts, racked them, and both produced an audible "click" when we squeezed the trigger. When the laughter and hoots quieted down, a now red faced instructor said - ok, you see this part....it is different. He admitted Smith lost an international law suit Glock had filed, and now had to pay Glock a royalty for every Sigma produced. Sorry to digress, but thought you might be interested to know this too.

I am still not a Glock fan, especially after my agency forced me to carry it for a time. But the Sigmas do seem to have a good reputation. I would like to hear what you think of them when you have had the chance to shoot yours.

I have to admit, I am a steel frame pistol fan. I don't own any alloy or non-steel framed pistols, except for a Sig 229. But I have handled the Smith M&P pistol in a buddy's gun store, and I have to admit it is very impressive to me for sure.

But congradulations on your newest pistol. Enjoy it, and update us when you can.

twoguns

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My friend has a Sigma and he loves it. I think the trigger is abysmal and hate the way it handles. I'm admittedly not a fan of any hammerless pistol and the Sigma doesn't give me anything to make up for it. I hope you enjoy it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
To me the SW9VE is perhaps the best bargain to be had on todays market.. To be sure the trigger is darn stiff but gets better with use..If the owner is talented he might slick things up a bit and make it better..The Sigma is a great shooter but it is no target pistol,not to say that one can't get decent groups with it after you have learned trigger control..Another thing is that one can shoot lead in it,can't do that in the other named product,and chamber support is much better also..
Does this sound like the Sigma ??Yes but it has to share equal time with the 1911's and HP and the CZ's..
Have to give them revolver things some time also..
So many guns,so little time..

·
Registered
399 Posts
I also have a S&W Sigma .40ve. The kids chipped in to buy me a gun for fathers day. Well all they talked about is the tupperware models. So I thought I would try one. At first I was ready to thorw it in the river and forget about it. Now the trigger has lighten up a lot with use and I have become more accurate with it I think I'll keep it. It has never failed to fire or has it ever stuck a shell. You got to get use to its long trigger pull at about 8lbs. I'll never carry it but I use it for house,car, and range.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Those are really great pics, gerbilwarrior. I understand that the new Sigmas are some of the best bargains out there (I'm pretty much full up on guns, though, so I doubt I'll find out). I really like your shots on the red wrapping paper, particularly the one you've titled rifle02 - it looks like it should be in an ad for the Sigmas, a very interesting shot. :)

Thanks for sharing them with us.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there,

I owned a early SIGMA in .40 S&W and it was a fairly nice semi automatic. I remember the patent infringement suit between Glock and S&W.

They are nice utilitarian handguns and I enjoyed mine for the period of time that I owned it. They do not inspire a lot of pride of ownership in me because like Glocks they are just very plain looking.

I do remember when I owned mine calling S&W in Springfield to ask a question about the finish on the outside and having the customer service rep putting me straight to a supervisor who turned out to be working on the assembly line that day. He was a super nice guy that explained to me that they could not do the "Glock Like" tennifer finish here in the US because it uses cyanide as one of its key ingrediants for the process.

I'd buy another if I had a chance. There's nothing like them for a good vehicle handgun.

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't like hammerless auto's, but the Sigma is one fine looking pistol, in my opinion. Then again, I think that my H&K USP45 is beautiful. I guess I'm attracted more to reliabilty and function and particularly like black guns. Also, Twoguns' story about swapping the Glock and Smith receivers in front of the instructor had me rolling. That's some good stuff. ~Pistolero

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I went shooting last Saturday with some friends, and didn't have time to do a thorough testing. But I DID shoot my sw9ve, and it did go BANG every time I pulled the trigger. The trigger doesn't seem overly tough to me, however, my wife who has some arthritis in her fingers, was unable to fire the gun. If any of you readers have arthritis, you had better find a gun with a very light trigger.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
gerbilwarrior,

Sorry to hear your wife had a problem with yours. Since you brought up the trigger issue, let me throw this out. Still a Smith, so not really abusing your thread much (sorry anyway). The next time you have her in a gun store, if they have a Smith M&P, let her try that one.

My gun store buddy showed me one he had just gotten in and said check out the trigger pull on this one. We were both shocked it was so light and easy. Another steady customer walked over grinned and said Gary sold me that one last week. I can not believe how much tighter my groups have gotten because of that trigger. I will give Smith credit too, they include two other backstraps (I think a total of 3, not sure now) with the pistol. So you can swap them out till you find the one that feels best to you. So much more user friendly for small, medium and large hands too now.

Just a thought/suggestion for your wife if she is looking for something she might be able to shoot. Sorry to hijack you thread too, but just wanted to offer the suggestion.

twoguns

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, when the first Smth M&P autos hit my area a number of months ago, trying the trigger of one in a gun shop was a jaw-dropper for me --- only a jen-you-wine single-action auto is better.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hello,

I currently own a SW9GVE. It is a nice gun. I paid $279.00 + tax for it. Sigmas really are good bargins.
Mine always goes bang, never had a malfunction of any type, and it has about 1000-1200 rds through it now. I know thats not a high round count but impressive none the less for me.

Lots of people complain about the trigger on these guns. One needs to understand that these are DOA's, not Glock Safe action trigger systems that are halfed cocked. The trigger smooths up with use, and I don't think the pull is that much different than a untuned S&W j frame or Taurus 85.

These guns are not match grade accurate either. At 7 yards with a two hand hold, and using cheap 115 fmj, I can shoot groups anywhere from 2.5 inches or larger depending on how good I am that day. The best group I ever shoot with my SW9GVE was a 1.5 inch 5 shot group using WWB 147 JHP "Personal Protection" at 7 yards.

Over all, I really love mine.

Good Shooting,

Jeremy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm sure you are right about the M&P trigger being nice. I handled an XD 9mm a few days ago, and that gun has a really sweet light trigger, too.

Actually, I'm not too concerned about my wife not being able to handle the sw9ve trigger, because I believe she is one of those people that are better off not shooting. She is not very interested in guns, and I'm afraid if she had one she would be a danger to herself and others around her, through bad gun-handling practices. So, I will shoot for the both of us!

·
Registered
932 Posts
My Sigma is certainly no target pistol, it shoots plenty good enough for a defense piece. It has been 100% reliable with over 2000 rounds fired. I heard somewhere that they are or were S&W's number one in sales for the past couple years and rightfully so. One of the best deals out there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts