Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice from some of our members.
I have a Thunder Ranch Revolver that I have carried daily for six months. I wipe the gun down daily, sometimes twice daily, use a holster with a sweat guard and still my "acidic eat it's way through metal" sweat has found it's way to "marking" my fine handgun with it's marks. :(
I don't plan to ever sell this gun, but I do take pride in what I own and carry. I am more about functionality than I am looks. I was thinking of having it bead blasted and Parkerized to make it more durable for what I do with this gun. It is a "new" gun but I use it pretty hard. I also don't want to turn a $700 gun in to a $50 Raven.
What are the thought of you all on doing this? Thanks in advance for the help.

Biker

·
Registered
17 Posts
I suggest that you contact the folks at Robar in Arizona and discuss your needs with them. They are expert refinishers and have an excellent website explaining their processes. On such a fine revolver as yours, you may wish to consider a more modern technology than parkerizing, which is better than blue but not nearly as good or attractive as others. Robar is an established company with an excellent reputation.

Williejc

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Bikerrn,

Since you are asking for opinions/suggestions, I will offer mine to you. If I were going to have any type of weapon refinished these days to protect it, I would send my weapon to Mr. Walter Birdsong, and have his Black-T finish applied. I have used both Metalife (an after market stainless type finish) and Black-T on several of my duty handguns in the past.

I started with Metalife while a local and later when a fed working in south FL with my personally owned handguns constantly being exposed to both my body sweat and salt water spray. I then discovered the Black-T finish and have never looked back since then.

Many of the special operations groups use the Black-T finish, including the SEALS who appreciate the protection it affords them when their weapons are totally submerged in salt water during operations.

If you will read a couple of the revolver threads you will find a couple of pics that Mr. LelandRay has posted of his Model 58 which has had the Black-T finish applied to it. His pics will give you an idea of how durable the finish is as he notes his revolver has been well used since being refinished, and I can not even see any cylinger turn marks on his.

Just my suggestion, but you might want to do some research on Black-T.

twoguns

·
Registered
354 Posts
I sent a mod. 58 S&W to Coal Creek Armory for their Melonite finish. I wanted a blue/black finish that is "bullet proof". Melonite is what Glock calls their Tennifer finish. The 58 is a "hard use" gun at the ranch. The Melonite has held up as well as Hardchrome over the last 14 mos. In appearance, it is very similar to a black parkerizing.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've been doing some reading and I'm going with the Birdsong Black T finish when I pay off some bills.

Thanks for the help all.

G

·
I have an old Colt Python that is parkerized. It is still a fantastic handling piece but I still hear the collectors gasp when I pull it out at the range.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
Python is as Python does. Even nekkid, they are a handsome bit of fluff. Do you want to collect them or shoot them? Collect your brass and get off the range is my motto!

·
Registered
399 Posts
I always thought pictures were to look at and guns were to shoot. I shoot my old Python all the time. I enjoy it a lot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts