Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Sirs!

I have 2 MecGar 2o rounders. So it´s not about "need".

But I really would like an original one!

Who made the orginal 20 rounders, and from when on? I seem to recall, that they were made only after WW II, and seem to remember a story about one being used in Northern Ireland.

Also, any other details and stories about use would be welcome.

TIA, Hermann

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Hermann said,'. . . and seem to remember a story about one being used in Northern Ireland.'

Yes, they were used in Northern Ireland for undercover operations. At the time, the magazines were procured on contract from FN. I don't know whether they were made in-house (by FN) or subcontracted.

Our (Australian) SASR CT Wing also used them.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recall a story about an agent in Northern Ireland in a car having a HP with 20 rd mag on the seat beside him. Cant find it now. Doesn´t matter. But I want to know how to get one???

Any clues?

Or all in "good homes"?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had a friend he has passed away now that was SAS and DET 14, he said they all had car guns. Some guys used MP5k but most used a Hi Power with a 20 round mag. They liked the fact that the Hi Power with 20 rounds could use the same mags as the pistol they had on their belt. So let's say they broke from the car with the car Hi Power , when it came time to reload they could either reload or switch pistols and keep going.

It is funny how "great minds " think alike I used a 20 round mag when in a vehicle also, I had a car holster that I used an Alessi body guard for 1911 that i put a double mag pouch on it for Hi Power 20 rounders. So in the shoulder rig I had 61 rounds, plus one 13 rounder on the belt and a 20 rounder.

So if I had to leave the vehicle in a rush to fight I had 94 rounds on me.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
The main reason for the car gun (BHP w/- 20 rd mag) in Northern Ireland was that the IRA often set up roadblocks to catch out Det 14, SAS, MI-5, UDR, etc. operating in their area. You had the car gun to hopefully fight your way out of trouble if you were 'Sus'd out'.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I'm a big fan and carrier of the 20rd Browning Hi-Power magazine. When traveling and carrying the BHP, a 20rd magazine is always in the glove box or console. I read within the last year that Mec-Gar is no longer manufacturing the 20rd magazine for the BHP. Seems over the years they weren't wanted until you couldn't have them.

Original? I pulled out my Blake Stevens BHP Automatic Pistol book and from what I could find the 20rd magazine wasn't mentioned until the early 70's with the Capitan pistol. But it was referred to as the FN 20rd magazine. My first experience with one was in the late 80's when I bought my first Hi-Power, a MKII. The knowledgeable seller had a unmarked (which I know the earlier ones were) 20rd magazine which I have in my possession still to this day. He called it an FN mag.

I have many unmarked 20rd BHP magazines that are Mec-Gar in blue, stainless, nickel, and manganese phosphate. And some newer factory packaged blued ones that are marked Mec-Gar. Never had an issue with any of them. Thanks for sharing your story's arminus, Yoni and abninftr.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm a big fan and carrier of the 20rd Browning Hi-Power magazine. When traveling and carrying the BHP, a 20rd magazine is always in the glove box or console. I read within the last year that Mec-Gar is no longer manufacturing the 20rd magazine for the BHP. Seems over the years they weren't wanted until you couldn't have them.

Original? I pulled out my Blake Stevens BHP Automatic Pistol book and from what I could find the 20rd magazine wasn't mentioned until the early 70's with the Capitan pistol. But it was referred to as the FN 20rd magazine. My first experience with one was in the late 80's when I bought my first Hi-Power, a MKII. The knowledgeable seller had a unmarked (which I know the earlier ones were) 20rd magazine which I have in my possession still to this day. He called it an FN mag.

I have many unmarked 20rd BHP magazines that are Mec-Gar in blue, stainless, nickel, and manganese phosphate. And some newer factory packaged blued ones that are marked Mec-Gar. Never had an issue with any of them. Thanks for sharing your story's arminus, Yoni and abninftr.
Wow wags 20rd BHP Mags. Would really like to have a 20 round mag for my BHP 9mm. Defiantly restricted here in the Islands.
Scott

·
Registered
57 Posts
Vehicle ambush is very popular with my neighbors, just this week we had 2 soldiers trying to get to a base in Samaria (the real name for the norther so called west bank) and the GPS took them into an arab town.

They were attacked and left their car for a better position to defend and called for help. As help came a massive fire fight ensued. We ended up with no dead and no seriously wounded.

But even though these soldiers had rifles and not pistols, the incident shows if you should happen to be in such a situation having enough ammo to break contact is a must.

I will add that in the USA, on any given day your chance of getting into something like this is very, very small. Unless you happen to go into low income areas, your chance is really zero.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts