Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

Today, I finally got around to ordering a SiGARMs P-226 conversion barrel to convert my .357 SIG to a .40 S&W SiGARMS P-226R today.

I searched a number of sources including SiGARMS, cheaperthandirt, Midway and Brownells until through the classified ads at the SIGforum found a dealer up in NH who had them for sale at a reasonably low price.

I ordered it finally convince to expand the versitility of my P-226R to another caliber with the benefit of not have to change magazines. The .40 S&W rounds fit into the .357 SIG magazines and the magazines that are factory supplied are indeed marked .357 SIG/.40 S&W.

Based on the seller's information/emails, he will be shipping it via USPS tomorrow and I should have it early next week at the latest in time for a range report.

Chris

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Chris,

Keep me informed of your progress. I'm currently waiting on my EFK Firedragon 9mm conversion barrel. The .40 will be next on the list.
Guess we are marching to hell, together, on this one buddy...

Wes

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

Well shucks Mr. Wes, I reckon there are worse places to be marching towards, and certainly far worse folks to be hanging around with in the process too. If you two gentleman ever need some back up, just holler. I will grab mine and be happy to join ya.

We do look forward to hearing your thoughts when you both get your new barrels for your 226 pistols. New range reports for and from our members always make me smile too.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hello Gentleman,

Well, if I am marching to hell, than I am indeed in the company of some pretty fine gentleman!

After attempting to bid on two barrels on ebay (used) that went to roughly an average of $110.00 + shipping, I found Tony with www.gcop.net who sold me a barrel for $125.00 including shipping and it was an offer too good to pass up!

SiGARMS sells the barrels new for about $179.95 and the least is www.topgunsupply.com for about $159.95. Midway and Brownell's are about in between on their prices plus shipping.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
Thanks for the link, Chris. I may pick up a .357 SIG barrel for my P239 someday. . . I liked it in my G33.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Erich,

You should go for it sir. As much as I love J-frame Smiths, you can't let them have all the fun and totally ignore you poor 239 can you.

If you get one, please give us your range report on it.

Mr. Chris,

I think you got one heck of a deal on that barrel sir. If I understood things before, the bids were on used barrels, and you ending up buying a new one? Either way it is still a great deal in my view.

Of course you realize you will owe us another report too now.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Paul,

Yes sir, I did order a new factory barrel for the price of the used ones being bidded on ebay.

A great deal and www.gcop.net is a great place to do business with.

Chris

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello All,

The barrel arrived yesterday and is as advertised.

Tomorrow I will go to the range, shoot it and furnish a range report. I would like to give Tony at www.gcop.net a shameless plug.

This is the fastest thing I have ever recieved via the USPS period! I suspect that the next new firearm I purchase will be through Tony at www.gcop.net.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Chris,

Congradulations on getting the 40 barrel for your P226. We are anxious to hear your thoughts when you can shoot it.

As far as the shameless plug goes, when a vendor provides a good product, at a fair price, and gives excellent service on an order - such as in this instance, personally I think those plugs are well deserved. It gives the rest of us a new vendor to consider using, and I see that as simply a win-win for all concerned. So thanks for the plug sir. I will check his site out and will probably save the link in my firearms folder.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello All,

Well gentleman, I have only one thing to say about my range visit this morning and the only thing I can say is "WOW".

I was all grins shooting the P-226R with the .40 S&W barrel. Reliability was a boring 100% and the gun functioned like it had the .40 caliber barrel in it all along.

The P-226 magazines loaded the rounds very well and I struggled loading them past 10 rounds a bit.

I shot about 100 rounds of Remington UMC downrange and about 12 rounds of Federal Hydrashoks. Compared to the .357 SIG honestly, there was very little discernable change in muzzle flip or percieved recoil.

I must admit that I am very impressed and still grinning an hour later after my range session.

Best,

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Chris,

I am glad to hear your shooting session went so well for you sir. It is hard for me to get that Sig grin off my face too after a range session.

Hard not to enjoy being able to shoot two or even three calibers out of the same platform too.

Keep us posted on your thoughts down the road.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hello twoguns and Wes,

Thank you for your kind comments.

The .40 caliber barrel just plain adds a whole lot of versitility to the package and needless to say, I am very impressed with its performance. Now I have broadened my ammunition choices and have not had to invest anything in extra magazines or other accessories to make the pistol shoot both calibers.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Gandog56,

Yes sir having an extra barrel or two is very nice with a Sig to me. If you are interested, you can also purchase a 9mm down/conversion barrel for your 229 as well. Not from Sig as I am not aware they offer the down barrels. But I do know of at least two other companies that sell them, EFK and Bar-Sto. I have two EFK barrels, including a 9mm down for my P226R in 357 Sig, and I am very impressed with it.

If you are interested post any questions or shoot me a pm if I can give you more information.

twoguns

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello Mr. Twoguns,

I'd be interested in eventually purchasing the EFK 9mm "down" barrel for the P226 as well.

Do you have a link for them?

Many thanks sir.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Chris,

Well sir their link (and website address is) : www.efkfiredragon.com

Shucks I amazed myself as the link actually works for me

I have been very happy with their barrels I have purchased so far, and will be buying more from them in the future. They are reasonably priced, and like the Sig factory barrels I have purchased, the two EFK barrels I have are both straight drop ins, with no fitting required.

When they offer their 357 Sig barrels and the 9mm down barrels for the CZ 75B in 40, I will let folks know what I think of them. They will probably be my next barrels from them.

twoguns

·
Registered
637 Posts
I just came upon this thread and am wondering about any difference in point of impact at 20 yards or so between the two rounds. I'm assuming that the fixed sights were regulated for the .357 round. Thank you. --c

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy Mr. Corky,

Well I can not give you a precise answer, as the only time I shoot from a rest type of stance (seated, two hands supported on a solid bag) is when I am doing chronograph work on rounds. My targets are not set up 20 yards away from me then.

The rest of my shooting is done largely standing, two hand hold, at various distances, and is more tactical type shooting than bullseye work.

But from my experience with both rounds, well all 3 rounds really, I have not seen any difference between how the 9mm, 40 and 357 Sig print on my targets.

I have installed Trijicon nightsights on both my Sig P226 (purchased in 357 Sig, with Sig factory 40 barrel and EFK 9mm down barrel), and my FN HP (purchased in 40, with EFK 357 Sig barrel). I have not yet purchased the 9mm down barrel for my HP but am giving it serious thoughts.

Given the desert area my shooting buddy and I use, we do not normally have a 25 yard range. We could do it, but would have to place our target stands away from a suitable backstop, so we simply elect to lose a bit of distance in favor of safety.

I can safely get 20 yards or so from my target. But I routinely work from about 15 yards on it. Given the type of shooting I routinely do, I have not noticed a difference in POA-POI in my targets regardless of the round I am firing from them. Even the 9mm down barrel in the P226R seems dead on for me.

This is just to give you some feel for what most of my targets generally look like. I did this one with a new CZ SP-01 in 9mm, fired for the first time, at ranges of about 7 and 10 yards. I was firing fairly fast but not trying to set a land speed record. I raised my POI just a bit when I moved back to 10 yards so I could tell where my rounds were hitting. By that I mean the higher chest grouping (not the head shots, as those were done in drills at both distances).

So I would like to think if one barrel/round combo caused a significant problem with POA-POI issues, I would have noticed it already. But again sir, I do not have a rest to use for accuracy and have only been able to shoot at 25 yards with these pistols on my indoor range. My groups at 25 yards do not suggest any issue to me, but again this is not really scientific in the least.

Not a precise answer, but I hope it at least gives you some answer anyway sir. But in my view, all of these barrels/rounds are far more accurate/dead on for me when used in the same platform, than the operator is capable of being consistently.

twoguns

1 - 20 of 21 Posts