Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Day after tomorrow I'm going to go to my local Springfield dealer and let them talk me into a new XD45. Anything I need to know that will let me resist these horrible salespeople, or should I just give them money?

Seriously, I've heard much good stuff about the XD series, and having handled a couple of examples, I think I could become rather fond of having one in my battery.

Any info about accuracy, favorite loads, and functioning issues to look out for would all be appreciated.

G

·
The XD series is a great series, I own a XD9 service pistol. It is about 3 yrs old and have never had ANY problems with it, the trigger pull is a little long for my tastes, but that is my only complaint. it is really accurate at both short range (5-10 yrds) and "long range(30-50 yrds)":). I was a little skeptical at first with the safety issues,IE no external safety, but would recommend them to an experienced shooter. I was looking at them the other day at my favorite toy store, but alas, I was in there to buy a new shotgun for Quail season. I'm sure that one will end up in my safe sooner or later. Rex

G

·
I owned an XD9 subcompact for awhile. It was a pretty good pistol, overall. The front site was not staked at the factory, which took me awhile to figure out. Once I got it staked properly, I would classify the accuracy of my particular piece as slightly above average. The gun was very solidly built and well-designed and fed, fired, extracted and ejected pretty much everything I loaded into it. I did not care for the relatively high bore axis of the pistol, as that created a very tall slide on top of a fairly small and lightweight frame...the gun always felt topheavy to me. One advantage of the XD sub was that the gripframe was more user friendly than the Glock 26, because you could actually get all your fingers on it....but the downside is that I really don't classify the XD sub as a subcompact pistol like the Glock 26 because of its bulk and overall size. I liken it more to a Glock 19....sort of mid-sized.

Also, watch the finish on the XD pistols....it will abrade and rust, so you must take care of it. Not like the Tenifer finish on the Glocks.

Generally, not a bad pistol, but one which I actually used and carried very little because of its bulk and size. It's gone now...but I have great respect for the XD series. They are well-engineered and designed, reliable, reasonably accurate and I'm sure that little QC issues like my unstaked front site have long since been corrected.

Bob

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, today I bit the bullet and picked up the XD. I guess I need to figure out how to pay for it first, but I'd rather be shooting and typing.

What got me interested in the XD, or rather more interested than previously, was seeing the "Tactical" long barreled version under the counter last week. This morning I looked at the standard XD45, along with both the two toned Tactical, the all black Tactical, and a Glock 21 as a comparison piece.

The Glock was a little big in my hand, while the Springfield felt much better. I wasn't particularly aware of either gun being particularly top heavy, though the Glock *seemed* to have a somewhat higher axis. Neither bothered me, however.

The Glock trigger might have been better, but that would be a close call. The Springfield's trigger is quite good, in any event. (I was only using the Glock to compare the XD with another polymer framed .45 and had no intention of buying the Glock. I walked into the store intending either to leave with a Springfield or to leave empty handed.)

So I settled on the black Tactical. Due to an issue with date of receipt, the one with the sand colored frame was $30 cheaper, though my friends at the store made me what I considered a really decent deal. I found two packaged XD magazines on a pegboard and settled up. Cost of gun, two extra magazines, and state taxes came to $616, which I think is pretty good. I was honestly expecting to spend more.

I got home and perused the manual before finding some odds and ends of ammunition to go play with. I purposely decided to shoot ammunition that either A. had caused malfunctions in other guns, or B. that I might actually be carrying. To that end, the first magazine held the last 12 rounds from a box of 230-grain Winchester SXT, plus one round of 230 ball from the "Independence" brand. One of the SXT rounds had the bullet set back in the case roughly one millimeter from prior chambering, but having fired many .45 ACP rounds which had also set back slightly, I wasn't terribly concerned. Anyway, my range was around eight yards, and I admit to being a bit nervous, as I always am with a brand new gun. Okay, not nervous, exactly, but uncertain. If I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it, I'm still going to be stuck with it, so I was hoping for the best. Below are three targets, the second and third fired very quickly; all three were fired with a center hold.

On this target the #1 and #2 rounds were the Independence ball and the set back SXT:

The second target was shot with 185-grain PMC hollow points. I've had functioning issues with these at times and generally reserve their use for a Smith & Wesson M625.

I had a box of 165-grain Federal Hydra Shoks that've been in the ammo locker for three or four years. I never had any functioning problems with them in either a Commander or a full size Colt 1911, but I had decided to carry heavier bullets.

Needless to say, I am very, very pleased. Regard that this was the first time I'd ever fired any gun from the XD series, yet the gun gave acceptable groups from the start. I'm going to get down to some serious testing soon because I think I might want this one under my jacket this winter.

And now a bit later, one full magazine (13 rounds) of 230-grain Remington Golden Saber. Range was increased to 12 yards for this string.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Leland,

Congradulations. It sounds like you did very well indeed.

Thank you for the range report. It sounds like you have a winner on your hands.

Chris

G

·
LelandRay,
Thanks for teh report! I actually logged on to ask about the XD 45. My 21st birthday is in less than 2 weeks and I've been doing some reading up on these bad boys. I've handled a few .40's and nines, but not a 45 yet. I've heard the 45 is a little bigger, but not noticeably. Just curious, did yours come with the XD gear package?

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, I got the XD Gear, which I feel really added to the value of the gun. I already had one of the Springfield polymer "holsters," so I more or less knew what to expect, but the twin magazine carrier was new to me, as was the mag loader. The carrier is way cool and very functional, but the loader is not totally essential--after loading a couple of magazines, though, it definitely helps save the fingers.

The .45 is bigger, but not by all that much. The Tactical, which I got, is definitely noticeably bigger, though.

Important PS: I'm not used to having so many rounds of ACP available, so I have actually caught myself saying, "When's this thing going to quit shooting?"

G

·
So what made you go for the tactical over the service model, Leland? Can anyone think of a reason this wouldn't be a good first handgun? Recoil (on pistols or otherwise) has never really bothered me, and the .45 seems like me to be an ideal self dfense round!

G

·
Okay, I'm glad you bought the 5" model, because I didn't get here in time to warn you about the 4" ones.

I once owned a 4" XD45, but I never will again, for the following reasons.

Firstly, even after 500 rounds, it never stopped double feeding, but more importantly... (long-winded, technical story ahead)

While reassembling the pistol, the crazy little recoil assembly slipped off the barrel cam, and allowed the barrel to drop down. I was already pushing the slide back, and when I lost the resistance of the recoil assembly, it was too late. The feed ramp ended up butted up against the locking block, and the guide rod did this neat little trick where it somehow ended up braced against something in the guts of the gun, fully compressed, so that the whole gun was now locked up like a drum.

I sent the gun to springfield, and got a call from the head of their custom shop. He said that this problem had been occuring in all of the 4" XDs, occasionally, and that they would fix the gun and return it. Well, they got everything loose, somehow, but they didn't "fix the gun," because when I got it back, it looked to me like the design was still pretty much the same, and that was the problem here; not my individual pistol. What's worse, they didn't bother to buff out the two lovely little burrs that now graced the feed ramp, as a result of it being rammed into the locking block...

and the gun still double-fed!!

Now, the double feeds were a fluke, I'm sure, as I've heard too many good reports of these guns to think otherwise, but that mess with the recoil assembly was intolerable.

I sold the gun, and if I ever own another XD, it'll be a "Tactical" model, with a full-length guide rod.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1. The 5-inch gun felt better in my hand. The shorter barreled "standard" model actually did feel like it was riding too high. The 5-inch feels just right.

2. My opinion, based partly on observation, partly on research, and partly on instinct says that the 5-inch barrel is right for optimum performance with most .45 ACP loads. Okay, so I had this lucid dream while the moon was in the seventh house, Jupiter aligned with Mars, etc....

3. The longer the sight radius the better.

4. I think the 4-inch just looks clunky.

PS: I don't think any .45 would make a good "first" handgun unless the person buying it had a chance to shoot lots of rounds through lots of other guns.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I almost always shoot to the left when first working with a new handgun. Sometimes the problem goes away, but sometimes only a sight adjustment will fix it. The XD Tactical has both front and rear sights dovetailed, which I like.

I'm getting a bit better with this one.

G

·
If you like that, you're gonna love the new compact frame XD ACP.

Grip is chopped for a 10 round mag, but it also accepts the 13 round mags (comes w both). You can also get it w the 5 inch slide/bbl on the compact frame for another option (or drop any 5 inch slide/bbl you already have on the compact frame).

I have one and it shoots great. About the size of a Glock 38 (5x7 w a 4 inch bbl) but 10 rounds of real ACP. W the 5 inch bbl, it's the height of a 1911, but shorter overall.

Don't worry about the ACP and 4 inch bbls w most of the new premium ammo; even the 230s expand and penetrate just fine.

The captive rod/spring doesn't worry me; have seen Chubby's problem happen w the sub compact Glocks (26/27/33/30) too.

Don't worry about the finish on the XD ACPS either; it's Melonite, which is another registered trade name for Tenifer. The hardness, wear, and corrosion resistance are identical.

G

·
Very glad to hear about your success with the XD 45. One of the guys in my squad carries only .45s and is presently carrying an H&K USP, which he likes very much. He is seriously considering an XD 45 as an alternate.

I've heard so much good stuff about the 5" full size that I'm actually considering one myself...looks like you guys are doing well with it!!

Bob

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bob, it's the only gun I own which to date has experienced zero failures after the first 300-400 rounds, a polyglot mix of reloads using both cast and jacketed bullets, as well as factory jacketed bullets from 165 grains to 230 grains, mostly JHPs, but some hardball. Hootman and I are headed out to do some shooting tomorrow, and I'll put six or eight more mags downrange. The trigger is either getting smoother, or I'm getting more used to it, which is a good thing.

There's an aftermarket sight set available for the XD which uses a Tritium dot front and fiber optic rear, and I'm thinking about installing them. The XD is just a tad too big for concealed carry, at least given the limited holster options, but I'm becoming more and more confident with it every day. I'm pretty darned pleased over all.

Last Sunday at 10 yards:

·
Registered
169 Posts
(I know this is old, but it's Christmas day, and I'm at work killing time 'till 4pm.)

I've got a 4", 9mm XD that is the cat's pajama's. It's the best shooting 9mm I've ever had. Accurate, and reliable right out of the box. The next malfunction I have will be the first. I haven't had the opportunity to shoot it much lately so I've only put about 500 rounds through it, but I am really impressed with their products.

About the only thing wrong with it is MAN I can go through some ammo with those 15 round magazines.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I finally had a couple of malfunctions, both with a 200 grain cast target SWC loaded too lightly to cycle the action reliably.

I'm not going to count those as malfunctions, so after several hundred rounds my malfunction rate is still at exactly zero.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Leland,

It sounds like you found a good one for you for sure. I am not that familiar with this model, but I do like the looks of it. I also like the fact it has the tactical rail too. My first pistol with the tactical rail was a P226R in 357Sig, with the 40 barrel. I added a Streamlight TLR-1 that I attach when required. A much better solution than trying to handle the pistol and a flashlight at the same time.

Now a tactical rail is an option I really look for on what I am thinking of buying next. So on top of the performance and confidence you are getting, you have another great option if you decide you like that idea.

Keep us posted on your thoughts and experiences. If you want to carry it, I say just keep looking for a good holster for it. It may take some work, but I am sure you will find one you like.

twoguns

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The XD sounds good.
The neighboring county's Sheriff's Dept hosts some trainers and classes each year, and I've been lucky enough to go to some of them. I always learn some things I didn't expect to, and one of them is hearing the trainers' opinions on guns.
I've heard nothing but good about the XDs from them.

I honestly had not really given the XD much thought until I heard Louis Awerbuck (Yavapai Firearms Academy) talking about how well they had been doing. For those that have not trained under him, he does not hand out praise easily. The fact he was so taken by them was enough to get me looking at them. I've resisted so far, but...

How is the grip length?
It looked like they kept the grip from being overly fat by staggering the rounds less and making the grip longer. I wondered if it seemed overly long or not.

·
Premium Member
3,867 Posts
Hello, sir, and congratulations on your new XD. I have shot the 5" gun another time since my original post and a compact as well. In short, the pistols worked fine and grouped satisfactorily. My only concern with the XD's at present is that spare parts simply cannot be had; the pistol has to be sent by to SA if there's a problem, but from what I've seen and heard, this would be the exception rather than the rule as most folks are reporting good results with their XD's.

Best and thanks for the report.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts