Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, don't know much about the Ruger Semi's ??? and would appreciate your opinions. I got good info here before on a Star BM so I'm coming back for more. I am looking at a used Ruger P97 DC .45, looks to have been shot very little, very clean inside and out, I would say it is in 99% condition and a earlier model, not the two tone model. It comes with 3 mags, hard case and paper work. The asking price is $329 and they will take $300. What do I need to know about this pistol or to check before a possible purchase.

Thanks,

Papabear

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
My friend (forum member Gil) has one, and I've been very impressed with it as a workhorse. The gun is light, sleek (for a Ruger semiauto), and it works, works, works. Shoots anything, from hot stuff down to powder puff loads.

Is the trigger pull the greatest? Of course not. Is it the smallest possible .45? Nope. But if you want a solid gun that will work just fine for the rest of your life, I think that you'd find that used P97 DC to be a real value.

Good shooting whatever you decide! erich

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Papabear,

Howdy sir. I can not really help you a great deal as I have never fired or handled the Ruger you are thinking about. I fired their first 9mm offering while attending an armorer's course at the factory years ago, in the late 80s. To be honest I did not think much of the two I shot, as both were very rough.

Since then I fired several other Ruger 9mm pistols, and they seem to have smoothed them up a lot now. They are just not my cup of tea, because the grip just feels to large for me to shoot comfortably. But I have to put the short/curved trigger in a Sig P226 before it feels good to me too.

I know a few folks that have various Ruger pistols, a few 9mm and a few 40, and they all seem to be very happy with them. Sorry I can not give you any first hand on that model. But hope this helps a bit anyway.

I suspect you already have, but if not, you might want to handle it and see how the grip and controls work for you too.

If you do get it, please give us your thoughts when you have the chance.

twoguns

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Appreciate the feed back guys. I have handled it had it feels natural in my hands, good fit and easy for me to handle, its at a pawn shop and I know these folks well, have done business with them many times, and they back up what they sell, however I have no way of shooting it before I buy it and that is the reason I am asking for opinions. So far in talking to my friends, no one has heard anything bad about them, but I was hoping to get some opinions from guys that have owned and shot them, again, I appreciate your all's comments.

Papabear

G

·
Greetings all. I own Ruger semi-autos in 9mm, .40 and .45 ACP. The reason I have these is based upon my experiences with the first one, the KP95DC 9mm. That particular pistol has been stone cold reliable from the day I took it out of the box until today...by now, it's had thousands of rounds through it with bullets of all weights and types and has never, not once, failed to feed, fire, extract or eject...it's also reasonably accurate and the grip shape, to me, although it will never equal an HP or Sig 225, is hand-filling and easy to control and reach the trigger.

I then was in the market for a reliable .45 auto, so I bought a KP97DC. Works exactly the same as the 9mm, but uses single-stack mags, so the grip is actually narrower and also works fine for me. For the first 300 rounds or so, there were some minor misfeeds which I recognized at the time as break-in induced. The 97 has, by now, had several thousand rounds through it and is now as reliable as the P95, feeding, firing, extracting and ejecting everything without difficulty and with good combat accuracy. I find that because of the plastic frame of the pistol, it is not as pleasant to shoot as the P95...meaning that I don't care to put 300 or 400 rounds through it at a sitting. It's not unpleasant in recoil, it's just more tiring than the equivalent steel-framed pistol (P90) would be...the plastic just doesn't soak up the forces of recoil of the .45 cartridge as well as the 9mm and it tires me out quicker...no pain or negative stuff, just a little more work to hang onto.

The pistol I tote every day is an ex-law enforcement KP944DC in .40 S&W. It uses an alloy frame and is also very reliable, the equal of the first two...but it's also less wearing on me to shoot it, because of the metal frame and greater weight. It's loaded with 180-grain JHPs at about 950 fps. Yes, it's heavier to lug around, but it goes into a fanny pack anyway. It's my favorite of the three, being easier to shoot and using a substantially powerful cartridge.

All that is a long way of saying that the P97 is an excellent pistol and you should get great service out of it. None of my Rugers have ever hiccupped once broken in. I think they're great, well-built and well-designed pistols which are highly underrated by the shooting public.

Bob

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for your responces and especially Bob, excellent post and info I was looking for. This weekend I will go back to look at the P97DC make up my mind, it is in LNIB with paper work.

Papabear

·
Registered
98 Posts
Did you get the P97??
I've had one for several years now and prefer it to my 1911A1.
Mine has the smoothest SA trigger you would not believe!! It's almost as if it came to me, from the factory, with a trigger job!! I estimate it breaks at about two pounds!! The DA pull is somewhere between four and five pounds. It shoots better than my middle aged eyes will allow too!!

·
Registered
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope, I didn't get it, but the reason is not because I didn't want it, our PC crashed and wife wanted a IMac, if the wife ain't happy, ain't nobody happy, so we got a IMac. She had gotten me a S&W M28-2 for Christmas and I had gotten her a American Eskimo puppy, so its my turn next, but funds are low right now. However, we are leaving for FL in two weeks and I'll be at a show, and I'm taking trading stuff and looking for a Ruger P97 DC .45. I like the feel and actually got to shoot one this past week end, so I do want one. Thanks all for the replies and if and when I do get one, I'll be sure to post it here with pic's.

click to enlarge

Papabear

·
Registered
160 Posts
I remember when they first came out everyone commenting on how accurate they were. Can't wait to see/hear what you find papabear.

our PC crashed and wife wanted a IMac, ........., so we got a IMac.
That's the same way my wife and I compromise... ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts