Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All the lovely talk about snubs, of late, has convinced me that I ought to go ahead and treat myself to a J-frame. I've got some money saved, and my favorite place has several brand new or as-new ones for around $400, since they're not selling well around here, lately, next to the small autos (Go figure.)

Now, at first, it was a no-brainer that I should go with a shrouded hammer, like the 642, but I've just become aware of something: All the pants that I own that are too tight to allow for the carry of a full-size auto IWB also have prohibitively small/tight pockets.

Hey, I'm 20, I'm single, and the ladies like the b'donkadonk; you'd wear 'em too.

As such, this gun isn't going to see pocket carry as a primary. Instead, I think it will probably be carried on a high-riding OWB, under a loose T-shirt or untucked button-down, on those days when the considerably more potent Hi-Power has a wardrobe malfunction. Of course, the same tight pocket issue means that speed-loaders are out of the question, but I think that I can wing it with loose rounds. Besides, this isn't going to be the gun I reach for when I'm headed out for a social call in Hell's Kitchen.

Well, since I really like the look of an open-hammer snubby, I'm thinking that I may just forego the shrouded hammer, and give myself the option of a single-action shot, since hammer snagging won't be a problem from this sort of carry, if I practice my draw for five minutes or so each day. A bodyguard-type snub, by the way, is not an option, since I'm planning on getting one of the .32 H&R magnum models, as I value capacity a bit more than the average snub-toter.*

So, what should I know about carrying an open-hammer snubby this way?

* For those who will deride the choice of .32 H&R over the .38 Special, I have an explanation. Be forewarned, what follows may seem a bit... snippy... but I intend no disrespect by it. It is merely a full-and-complete expression of my opinion on the matter of caliber.

As of late, I have become a card-carrying member of the shot-placement mafia, and as such, I see the .32 entirely in the light that it gives me the ability to put 20% more shots on-target. I am not even considering the "reduction" in power to be a factor in the decision, and as to that supposed reduction, all the data that I have seen shows the .32 H&R as having sufficient penetration, which is, to me, far more important than bullet diameter, energy, or any other factor. A .32 in the eye socket or through the heart will have precisely the same effect as a .38, given an insignificant modicum of extra time to do the job.

For those who still don't like it, It ain't your tight-jean wearin' b'donkadonk that's gonna be betted on this thing, anyway! This is NOT a caliber discussion, and I don't intend for it to become one. This thread was created entirely so I could get some educated opinions on the effectiveness, possibilities, and quirks of an open-hammer J-frame carried OWB, under minimal concealment.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Even OWB a hammer can hang up on a cover garment. Takes a bit of practice to clear the garment, but no biggie.

I have a few of each style, and only when other considerations (long shots at vermin in the woods, for instance) are a possibility do I opt for the exposed hammer. Up close and fast I want the snag-free design, as well as the ability to fire from within a jacket pocket.

I don't think Bianchi makes speed-strips for .32 ...wish they did.

Regards,

Pat

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there chubbypidgeon,

Well, there all are lot of merits to the exposed hammer J-frame.

For one, you can actually cock the hammer for single action firing and josh knows that you might actually desire to carry and shoot it for reasons other than personal defense, i.e. informal target shooting or plinking.

In spite of the serious nature of the majority of posts on this forum, actually the fun of owning and shooting the revolver is the fun factor itself!

I would start by checking out a lot of the better holster maker's, i.e. Galco USA, Don Hume Leather, DeSantis, and Bianchi. I think some type of speed scabbard/belt slide holster is going to be your best bet. If you plan on taking off and putting on your holster a lot, you might want to look at some of the paddle holsters out there.

Remember, don't cheap out on the holster. You've already committed to buying a quality handgun, so open up your wallet and buy a piece of quality leather that you like.

I buy and enjoy Galco Products. They are not cheap, but neither are my handguns.

Good luck,

Chris

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not the guy who lets his guns ride in cheap leather.

My Hi-Power has a custom-built NSA by Wild Bill's Concealment on the way.

Here's an idea. Does anyone make a hammer shroud for the J-frames, like there used to be made for the old Colt revolvers? If you wonder what I'm talking about, the only example that readily jumps to mind is the gun that Jack Ruby used to kill Oswald, but I don't know of a picture of that gun, anywhere.

I'm fully aware that a hammer-snag could occur, even under a light, easily managed cover garment, like a button-down shirt. I still plan to get the model with the hammer, though. If I have a problem with snagging, I'll bob the hammer, and turn it into a snag-free DAO. The biggest utility I really see for a full shroud is that it prevents lint from getting into the gun, when it's carried in a pocket, and as I said, this one probably won't ride there, much.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like those don't fit the newer J-frames, with the internal firing pin. Shame, too. That was exactly what I was talking about.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Remember that you won't alwas be 20, and the pants will get looser (especially when that one special lady gets exclusive rights to the b'donkadonk.) So you might think shrouded anyway. I like the Bodyguard very much. I can still cock for the single action shot if I want to, but you don't get hammer-hang. Best of both worlds. I will admit, I cannot actually imagine a time when I would use single action rather than double, given the gun's intended role, but I could if I wanted to.

Oh -- they probably don't make it in .32. Well, would a .38 spl be all that bad?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have several J frames. The 940 9mm and a 640 357cal and several mod-60 in 38 and 357 cal with 2 and 3 inch barrels. The hammers on the M-60's do catch on occasion and the hammerless models never do. If the gun is for carry and the time comes to act you will want the one that will works the best. If you have the opportunity try them both from cover. You will see the difference very quickly. I carry the 940 in a Null cross draw and it works great for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My model 638 bodyguard is equipped with Crimson Trace grips and seems to be the best of all worlds in the revolver line. The trigger itself, and the trigger action is light years an improvement over my older "classic" model 49 bodyguard.

Might I suggest you spend your leisure time at a place other than "Hells Kitchen" and you may never even have the need for a firearm...

Just a thought.

Best Wishes,
JP

1 - 10 of 10 Posts