Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody practice this, I was in TN awhile back where open carry is apparently legal as there were several around.
Seems to me you would lose some tactical advantage carrying like that.

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there leadblooded,

I imagine that it depends on the state and the laws for handgun carry.

Here in SC, you can only carry "openly" while engaged in the activity of hunting or a "shooting activity", i.e. match.

I am reminded of a story from year's past when I was in the local Walmart and there was a couple in front of me. Attached to the guys belt, was a holster with a Bersa autoloader. Upon checking out, the clerk asked the guy nervously if he had a permit to carry. The guy said "no" and that he had heard it was OK to carry a handgun. His girlfriend stood there and just smiled.

Meanwhile, one of the manager's behind the scenes was on the phone to the local PD.

About the time, I had left the store with my purchases, the local LEO's had the guy disarmed and prostrate over the hood of one of their patrol cars.....in the parking lot. His girlfriend who had set out to impress wasn't smiling anymore and waving her arms madly....

A couple of years later, I went out and got my CWP. The only time I carried a handgun openingly up to that point was either during hunting and after Hurricane Hugo hit the state in 1989 and I was cleaning up and running into quite a few displaced poisonous snakes.

I reckon that my point is that regardless as to whether or not it is "legal", it simply isn't "prudent" to bring the unwanted attention by every passing pedestrian or stranger that you come in contact with during a normal business day. At some point, someone will call the PD on you and you get their "undivided" attention while trying to explain what you are doing is indeed "legal". After all, the dispatcher is only going to probably get the call "there's a man with a gun on Main Street".

So, in my opinion, unless you are on private land and out of public view, carrying an "open" handgun is probably the only time you would wish to. There appears to be little or no logical advantage in carrying an open handgun in a urban area.

Chris

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Howdy folks,

I have to agree with everyone who thinks while it might be legal, it sure ain't the smartest thing to do. Decades ago I was a cop in NC. At the time there was no such creature as a CCW permit. The only legal way to conceal was a police badge. Of course we were smart enough not to arrest prosecutors or judges we knew were carrying concealed.

It was legal to carry openly back then. While we did not use it often, especially for the normal John Q. Public (unless they had left their brains at home), a few of the criminal element did realize it was legal, and began to do it.

I pulled out the criminal code and got to reading. We also had a statute that was called "going about armed to the terror of the public". It required two individuals to be placed in fear of their personal safety before you had violated this statute.

I called the DA and asked if two cops qualified as two individuals placed in fear. He chuckled and said I don't see why not, try it when you need to. We only had to arrest a couple of our "problem children" before they figured out it was not the smartest thing they had ever done. They kept carrying but concealed it. Then we could charge them with carrying concealed, which was a more serious penalty anyway.

So bottom line, even if it is legal, I sure don't think it is smart. It is also very possible there is a similar law about causing fear to the public, someone could unintentionally be violating at the same time.

Although I have to admit, driving around out in the desert in AZ near the Mexican border, most of the ranchers and their hands are openly armed. But given the problems in the desert around here, that is smart to me, and more in that category Chris said made sense.

Just my thoughts for what they might be worth.

twoguns

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Hello,

I like open carry & support it. People acting Right and doing their daily business with openly carried weapons don't bother me at all.

I'm sorry, but as much as I'd like to, I can't explaine my support for open carry any further with out being political, and turning a border-line political thread for the worst.

Please think about what your typing, Take Care.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It, (open carry) sure does make dressing in the summer much easier. For me it comes down to the more trouble less trouble part, around home and the very rural town in Va I'll open carry in the summer because it's less trouble granted I pretty much only go to the feed store or the stop and rob. Into larger towns Richmond Norfolk I will conceal because the possible hassle outweighs the clothing issue. Plus a trip to the city is a more planned event.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I open carry about half the time. (I've got a CHP also.) As Joe said it's a whole lot easier in the summertime, here in central Virginia. I've never had any reaction in either Fredericksburg, or Richmond/Henrico/Chesterfield, except being asked a couple of times "Can I do that too?" I look at it as an opportunity to educate people, but for the most part I don't think anyone even notices or cares.

The VCDL (Virigina Citizens Defense League) has done a good job of not only changing the laws, but of making sure the law enforcement community know the law.

Giving away an advantage? I'm not looking for a fight. If a "bad guy" sees I'm packing, he'll probably wait for a softer target to come along. I might just know what I'm doing. Yea, I've heard of people being attacked to get their guns. I've heard of bigfoot too. If you let someone get that close to you, you're not paying attention. You don't have any tactical advantage in the first place.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Personally, I don't wish for anybody to know.
bmcgilvray,

I agree completely with you. I know of at least one case where a BG shot another guy who he thought was carrying concealed--but he shot the "wrong" guy. The girlfriend of the BG told him that her girlfriend's boyfriend had a CHL. The BG went into the Stop & Rob where the other girl worked with the intent of robbing the place, saw her talking to a guy, assumed it was the boyfriend with the CHL and that he was carrying, and shot him. Turned out it wasn't the boyfriend at all, just a guy the girlfriend knew.

So, in addition to not carrying openly, it's also not a good idea to let people know that you have a CHL and/or that you're carrying.

Just my $.02...

Crash

·
Registered
720 Posts
crash, +1 on that!

there has always been an argument about what WalMart's policy is for CCW. My policy is don't ask and don't tell....about the CCW in my pocket. Nobody know's it's there. I don't need it in the store. Problems in the store are management's problem and I'm avoiding any such situations. But the parking lot is a different story with all kinds of stuff going on out there. And I'm not leaving my CCW in the car like some people say to do. What good is that going to do me walking from the store to the car?
So I agree, don't tell. When WalMart installs metal detectors then I'll shop somewhere else.

rant over,
og

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
One reason to keep 'open carry' legal is to have a piece more accessable whilst driving the car.

Most of the time if you're carrying discretely (clothes matching, not fiddling with it, not shiny stainless or nickel, etc) the average person never notices it. Heck, the average cop never notices it.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, North Carolina has the open carry law with a law that supercedes it that was mentioned before. If someone is "not comfortable", you must remove it. The only benefit is for one who does not have a CCL, still being able to be armed. However, there is no excuse not to get one. I wouldn't open carry around here as it is not that common and nobody needs to know while I don't like the added attention either. I know someone around here who does just because he can. He is rather excentric though. I will only open carry outside while cooking in the winter. There is nobody around and I don't want a couple of amigos to come by with a machete thinking they have an opportunity. Concealing is the way to go about business though. Too bad there were not more citizens in the NV mall with guns. That muslem shooter would have been dead before he killed 5 innocents! The police are reactive. If they have to arrive and guns are on the scene, it is usually too late. Business has already been handled, one way or the other. Hopefully the right way has prevailed. Wayne

1 - 13 of 13 Posts