Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Since I Firmly Believe Mr. Murphy is very much alive & doin' very well... I have been thinking about switching to, two full size pistols of the same make, model & caliber instead of the more traditional mode of one pistol w/1 or 2 extra mags & a J-Frame.

My way of thinking is, once your goin' for the J-Frame, "The Stuff Has Already Hit The Fan" and "Your Primary Has Ran Dry or Failed" & "Your STILL In Trouble", so, by this point of an encounter most would agree, that one would have really been better off with a 2nd Full Size Auto to start with, instead of the more traditional J-Frame or Small Auto as Back-Up.

My reason for carring "same make, model & caliber" with-out any extra mags probally goes with out saying... But, since I'm alittle OCD, I'd have to find room for an extra mag or two somewhere... Maybe, I could keep one in my sock?

Have any of you changed from the more traditional mode of one pistol w/extra mag(s) & J-Frame/Small Auto for secondary, to just carring two full size pistols instead?

Many Thanks & Take Care,

·
Registered
525 Posts
Hmmm. Let me analyze this for a moment.

I carry my Hi Power 9mm all the time, and I like it very much - it is nice and flat, goes nicely with tuckable IWB. However, it is a bit of a problem trying to figure out where to stash an extra magazine in the summertime (which in south texas runs from about middle of January to middle of December), when I am in polo shirt or T-shirt mode. There are some IWB magazine holders, but haven't run across one that works well UNDER the shirt. Am going to try out a Kramer undershirt just to carry the mag.

I sometimes carry a snubbie, and other times carry a P-3AT (which is significantly more concealable than the snubbie, IMO), instead of an extra magazine.

I have thought about carrying another hipower - I recently purchased an FEG version - but haven't shaken it out yet. Previous owner says it doesn't like hollowpoints, and it does have the humped ramp. Without modding the ramp, rebarreling, or switching to Powerball or EFMJ, it probably wouldn't do for a second gun.

I do have a hankering for yet ANOTHER hi power - I like what I've seen of the Argentinian Detective models...

Conclusion: What this all adds up to is a perfect reason to buy one of the Argentinian detective models to carry my second magazine in.

Thanks, Sockman! Great thread! :)

But seriously, I haven't gone there yet, but have thought that two identical pistols of whatever size would make the logistics (ammo, mags, training) much simpler.

elb

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello ELB & Thanks,

I didn't necessarily mean two full size pistols for a trip to the store, I feel pretty safe with just one for trips like that, althow the packs around here are getting bigger & meaner.

Interesting enough thow, a few years back I went to the store wearing a K-40 Elite98 w/extra mag, all was riding in new leather that I was breaking in on what was suppose to be my night off... Well, when I got home my wife said my boss called and for me to go right over as soon as possible, while having enough time to change over to my usual BHP, I opted to carry the K-40 w/J-Frame, so I threw my ankle holster on and headed out... Well, I never felt so naked in all my life as I did a few hours into the tour when the BG's headlights came up the driveway. Things turned out much better than expected, but, I still felt naked with the small pistol after that.

Thanks Again,

·
Premium Member
2,951 Posts
Sockman,

Only if you feel like wearing suspenders and a belt!

I would likely go with a setup like say, a fullsize 1911 and a lightweight Commander model. Or, my fullsize Taurus 92 and a Taurus 92C if I could find one.

But, I'm happy with the Taurus, two mags, and a .380acp in my righty pocket. I figure that my left arm could be shot just as easily as my pistol could fail, maybe easier.

Josh <><

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
I wear suspenders and a belt. :) :)

(Well, not always the belt around the house)

The belt is what you hang things on and the suspenders take up the load. Can't stand being cinched up like a saddle horse.

On Topic: I have reccomended to others that they use a identical pistol to their primary as the second piece. Especially in brands where the magazines aren't interchangeable between sizes. Keep the manual of arms and training the same.

On Grocks, for instance, you could also use a shorty as the second piece and a service size as primary, as the extra mag for the service pistol will also work just fine in the shorty. (assuming same caliber, of course)

The particular problem I have with this philosophy is I don't own two of any model of pistol anymore. Back in the old days I had a pair of G19's and a LOT of magazines. Still got the mags tho.

I actually find myself sticking a second Centennial in a left vest pocket if I feel the need for a teddy bear.

If I was expecting trouble, a service _rifle_ would be in order. Service rifle calibers start at around .3 inches.

My .02, of course.

Regards,

Pat

G

·
Sockman, I had quite a few friends that are LEO's that were saved by their little 5 shot .38's as backups. I can't think of one instance where the gunfight kept going after they went to their backup. I just can't imagine too many people that could comfortably carry two full size guns around on their person. If things have reached the point that you need two full size auto's, then you are way over your head and really need a rifle, bazooka, etc ;) Carrying a backup that can accept mag's from your primary is not a bad idea but I would feel pretty comfortable with my old chief along as well. In the end, I personally don't see the need for 2 full size guns but as always, do what makes you feel comfortable.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Hmm an interesting point. If you can't/won't/don't carry a spare magazine, it would seem to me that a snubbie in your pocket while not as good as say a 8 round mag of .45 ACP or 13-15 rounds of 9mm, is better than no reload at all. Not too mention that your 5/6-shot .38 gives you that extra reliability advantage.

The advantage with a snubbie though, is you can pack a snubbie and a speed strip and have a full size, a backup, and a reload! If that isn't enough ammo to get you out of a jam, then I think you have a lot bigger problems than a handgun can solve.

-Rob

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi Sockman,

One pistol and two magazines is more than adequate for me if I feel I am going into a "high risk" environment, i.e. a bad neighborhood. For the most part, my J-frame and one speedloader is more than enough for me.

I practice, practice, practice to shoot well enough with either combination to feel confident in my choice.

Chris

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I am a firm beleiver in letting folks work out their own salvation and I would hate for anyone to think this is a place for "one-upmanship" but just for reference, I normally carry two 1911s (sometimes I go with what Josh is envisioning with the second gun being a Commander). Frankly the reason is that I started paying attention to all of the guns and gunhnads I was seeing shot in after action reviews and in force on force training.

Sometimes my second gun is another type altogether and at first I carried a 1911 and a Glock 23 or sometimes it was a N-frame revolver (still do on occasion).

In any case I never go with less than 2 spare .45 mags and at least a reload for my J-frame hideout. If I carry the glock then I have to add another mag for it but it is in a pocket.

No doubt, same type of pistol offers continuity for spare ammo but I figure that by the time you empty 3 pistols things are probably over one way or another. I don't think they would have to be the same type or caliber but nothing wrong with it if that is your choice.

Good luck!
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello & Thanks for all the replies,

Jim, I'll be getting the holster on order pretty soon for the second Full Size. While I have thought about my above plan several times in the past, it would be very hard to leave the J/Frame at home...

For those of you interested, you can see what Jim's talking about in the thread "Reload Method, Not At Slidelock" on page 2 in this section.

Thanks Again Everyone,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts