Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of us who CCW semi's, just curious as to how many mags backup you carry.

I currently carry 2 with my Mak/G19/1911, but really, for the average civilian SD encounter (ie 3 shots @ 3 ft in 3 sec's) I'm wondering if I'm just paranoid and might skip the weight and go with one (2 standard caps of 9mm or 2 mags of 8rd .45 add up after awhile
)

Still, living/working/travelling in the Houston/Galveston area, a gang encounter (heck, with all the oil and medical facilities around - maybe even a terrorist encounter) can't be ruled out. This even though its rare I'm in a "high risk" area.

·
Regulator,
3,441 Posts
Gents,

Depends what weapon Im carrying. Most of the time I carry one spare for my G36, G19, BHP, or 1911. If going into a known bad area I opt for two mags, my cell phone, tactical folder, and Surefire 6P.
Very occasionally carry OC/CS. Believe if you've got to go for something make it the pistol. The OC just adds depth and options to your defense.

Wes

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
I carry one spare mag for my BHP carry. I carried two spare mags when I carried a 1911 for a close protection job many years ago.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I carry one. The issue is not more rounds, but reliability. The mag is one of the most likely things to go wrong. Well, there's nothing wrong with more rounds either.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I want a Milt Sparks Six-Pack, you can never have too much!

G

·
werewolf,

If you could tell you'd only need a few rounds to handle a future situation, then you would avoid the trouble altogether. Since you don't know how much trouble you will run into, and since it is almost as easy to carry two magazines as one, why not go with two? And why not have some more in your car (along with some spare ammunition)?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah - good point. Maybe I'm getting lazy, but lately I've been carrying my SP 101 with just one S/L.

That might change a bit tho. Unfortunately, it seems the crime rate has jumper a bit here in the Houston area with the influx of all the Katrina refugees.

Might be going back to my G19 w/2mags before winter comes.

G

·
By the logic that I don't know how much trouble I'm going to run into, I should tote a shorty 12 ga. everywhere I go.

The law of marginal utility:

There comes a point when useful things that are added to a situation begin to lose their utility. Beyond that, there comes a point where their negatives outweigh their positives.

Why carry only one reload? I have a 30-inch waist! My pants can only hold so much without starting to look not only suspicious, but downright ridiculous.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts