Handguns and Ammunition Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought my first [email protected] revolver- mod. 36, I understand the pinned barrel indicates it's been around awhile. The barrel/cyl. finish is a bit different from the frame, sort of a purplish-brownish color, frame is your standard blue/black. Maybe partly refinished, maybe just age. 2"bbl., round butt. Ser.#4699XX. Any info on age range would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I don't have the Standard Catalog handy, but I know from the number it's going to be a somewhat older gun. If it has a model number inside the crane, it was manufactured after 1957 but before 1982, when S&W stopped pinning the barrels.

Sorry I can't be of more help. Go to the S&W Forum at http://smith-wessonforum.com/ and register for an account. There's a section there for revolvers manufactured since 1945, and someone there will be able to date your gun to a particular year.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks a lot guys- I'm quickly learning why these j-frames have such a following. one more question- a number of folks at the [email protected] forum seem opposed to replacement spring kits to lighten the D/A pull. Would it reduce reliability?

·
Registered
4,399 Posts
Hi there woodsie,

The answer is yes/no depending on the ammunition being used (hard vs. soft primers) and most folks are opposed to altering the factory springs by reducing their length to achieve a lighter trigger pull.

More can be accomplished by taking the revolver to a good 'smith and getting an action job performed on it by smoothing the internals, i.e. rebound block slide. It is obviously more expensive than getting replacement springs, but there will be no effect on reliability.

Wolff gunsprings does offer reliable after market mainsprings to reduce the trigger pull. You might want to check out their website for more information.

Chris

1 - 5 of 5 Posts